Author Topic: Why POP (and other obscure tracks) won't ever be played in i+e Tour 2.0  (Read 3854 times)

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
The i+e Tour is a narrative.  When the "experience" songs get released, U2 may have to replace some of the "innocence" setlist songs to the new ones.  But it's pretty safe to say that they will keep their commitment to playing new songs and not convert this to a greatest hits tour like how 360 was towards the end.  Hence, there are few opening or available slots in the setlist.  They must maintain a certain ration of innocence/experience songs, plus their hits, plus their non-hits they always love to play (Bullet, End Of The World).  They also need to keep their casual fans interested.

In short, there is no room for POP.  Sure there are disco balls, but is it really logical to play Discotheque instead of Mysterious Ways?  That will just give the crowd a reason for another bathroom break.

In the U Talkin' U2 To Me Podcast, the band members were asked about their favorite songs and no one selected a song from POP.  Bono included Stay, while Edge liked Running To Stand Still.  Those are some of the old standards U2 would probably revive and play in regular rotation over a POP song.

Also, since the "experience" album will presumably be about later period U2 - the songs they might replace in the setlist would be the "experience" portion of the set or songs from Invisible onwards.  So the start of the show might need to showcase some "hits" to balance the setlist out - which means we might get their earlier hits from Boy to Unforgettable Fire.  Again, this leaves no room for POP.

U2 catalog is just too deep and rich - that added with their commitment to playing new songs this tour leaves no room for inferior tracks that are favorites of the militant U2 fans.   But what about obscure tracks like Acrobat which forum fans demand?  Well, that is from the legendary Achtung Baby album, and even before U2 can think of playing that - there are still a number of hits from that album they should play well before Acrobat.  Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, The Fly, Ultraviolet, and even Zoo Station may be given consideration before getting the Acrobat.  (Which also means my personal favorite obscure tracks - Heartland and Red Hill Mining Town may never be played live this tour).

I do see a lifeline for POP though.  Perhaps a snippet of Wake Up Dead Man can be played sort of like Zooropa and Hands That Built America for the experience portion. That song is still based on the Bible Book of Psalms from a different perspective - which is David shouting out to God, as opposed to "40" which was praise for God.  This just might show up just to add depth, meaning, and perspective to how "experience" has evolved U2's relationship with God.  But this is a long shot.

I do see them resting some hits, and minting out those they haven't played with regularity yet and making it part of the setlist: The Fly, All I Want Is You, New Year's Day, Stay, and even I Still Haven't Found which has sort of been put in the backburner the past few shows in the tour.

Sorry POP fans, still no dice for the continuation of this tour.

Cheers,

J

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
Re: Why POP (and other obscure tracks) won't ever be played in i+e Tour 2.0
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 11:59:28 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Sorry POP fans, still no dice for the continuation of this tour.

Wow, you really went out on a limb with this one. What next, no Bass Trap? Nothing from the Captive soundtrack?

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 12:27:54 AM »
never change, jick.

Offline ultravioletlight

• Numb
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 05:24:02 AM »
I've said for a while that if they don't play Acrobat during the "Experience" leg, they will never play it live.

iehomecoming

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 08:07:33 AM »
I think the sun will rise in the east and set in the west tomorrow. Again.

Edgedisciple

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 10:37:27 AM »
Please would fit the narrative perfectly, and it's sadly still actual if you recontestualize it and change a few lines.
Edge, as he said during a recent interview a couple of months ago, still loves the song.

Offline KenpoMatt

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • The first wealth is health.
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 10:45:41 AM »
Assuming they continue to play arenas as as the tour moves along:

Fewer seats available = arena with more hardcore fans as opposed to stadium full of causal fans / friends tagging along =

Way better chance of hearing POP material and other less played songs.

IMO.

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 11:35:43 AM »
I'd rather see them attempt Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses on the experience legs of the tour than anything from Pop.

Behind the Barricade

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 11:49:16 AM »
Assuming they continue to play arenas as as the tour moves along:

Fewer seats available = arena with more hardcore fans as opposed to stadium full of causal fans / friends tagging along =

Way better chance of hearing POP material and other less played songs.

IMO.

They played more rarities on 360 than on I+E.

Behind the Barricade

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2015, 11:58:40 AM »
An insightful post as ever, jick.

Offline satellitedog

• Child of Grace
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2015, 12:05:00 PM »
Pop songs won't ever be played again to sooth, and ease away your Christmas depression.

You'll be smiling in the mirror, so happy, wow, much laughter.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2015, 01:22:40 PM »
Jick, for Christmas I hope you find a Pop CD in your stocking and the Pop vinyl under your tree.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2015, 04:31:39 PM »
While I would love to hear something from Pop (Gone would be fine but something more interesting such as Please, LNOE or IGWSHA would be better), I'm not sure the band could do much of it justice.  The best sounding songs on this last tour were the warhorses and a select few other more straightforward tracks.  The interesting new stuff fell flat and was abandoned (Troubles, Cali, Volcano, LH, CB).  So maybe better to leave Pop out versus hearing half-assed versions of these songs.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2015, 05:00:12 PM »
While I would love to hear something from Pop (Gone would be fine but something more interesting such as Please, LNOE or IGWSHA would be better), I'm not sure the band could do much of it justice.  The best sounding songs on this last tour were the warhorses and a select few other more straightforward tracks.  The interesting new stuff fell flat and was abandoned (Troubles, Cali, Volcano, LH, CB).  So maybe better to leave Pop out versus hearing half-assed versions of these songs.

very true

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2015, 08:06:40 PM »
I have to be honest, after reading about how October would NEVER be played live for so long, I find these kind of threads kind of hilarious now, haha.