Author Topic: Why POP (and other obscure tracks) won't ever be played in i+e Tour 2.0  (Read 3855 times)

Offline KenpoMatt

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • The first wealth is health.
Re: Why POP (and other obscure tracks) won't ever be played in i+e Tour 2.0
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2015, 11:09:30 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Assuming they continue to play arenas as as the tour moves along:

Fewer seats available = arena with more hardcore fans as opposed to stadium full of causal fans / friends tagging along =

Way better chance of hearing POP material and other less played songs.

IMO.

They played more rarities on 360 than on I+E.

Well that depends on what you consider to be rarities I guess. I don't count the versions of EBW or North Star or Spiderman soundtrack songs as rarities.

You were right though. I went back and viewed the song lists for both tours and 360 had the same if not 1 or 2 "rarities" more than I&E.

However these one or two extra "rarities" (again this is opinion as to what is and what isn't rare) were played over a total of 112 360 shows, while close to the same amount were played over just 76 shows on I&E tour.

Also, (opinion here again) this time around, we got material from October and songs off of Boy that weren't just I Will Follow or Out of Control. I think the band was more open to their entire catalogue on this tour than on the 360 tour, and I think playing arenas as opposed to stadiums helped to facilitate those choices. ( Granted we didn't get POP on either but there is still hope :) )

I also don't think the band would have abandoned the NLOTH material as fast had they been in arenas instead of stadiums. Less casuals to please. But I'm purely guessing on that point.

Behind the Barricade

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2015, 07:23:12 AM »
My comment was just based on a general impression I had from both tours.  I didn't analyse their content in any detail.

And they didn't really drop the NLOTH songs that fast: seven songs lasted for the first two legs, just like they did on I+E.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2015, 01:05:11 PM »
( Granted we didn't get POP on either but there is still hope :) )

Umm, excuse me? Those of us who were there on opening night got the Mofo snippet before Iris. Suck on that, Jick!

Offline KenpoMatt

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • The first wealth is health.
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2015, 02:17:13 PM »

Umm, excuse me? Those of us who were there on opening night got the Mofo snippet before Iris. Suck on that, Jick!

Haha, how could I forget....and I was there! But you're correct, one MOFO snippet on opening night should quench all of our POP thirst for the next ten years!

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2015, 05:36:13 PM »

Haha, how could I forget....and I was there! But you're correct, one MOFO snippet on opening night should quench all of our POP thirst for the next ten years!

Oh I totally jimped.

Offline tom_b1807

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2015, 04:54:14 AM »
Assuming they continue to play arenas as as the tour moves along:

Fewer seats available = arena with more hardcore fans as opposed to stadium full of causal fans / friends tagging along =

Way better chance of hearing POP material and other less played songs.

IMO.

They played more rarities on 360 than on I+E.

Well that depends on what you consider to be rarities I guess. I don't count the versions of EBW or North Star or Spiderman soundtrack songs as rarities.

You were right though. I went back and viewed the song lists for both tours and 360 had the same if not 1 or 2 "rarities" more than I&E.

However these one or two extra "rarities" (again this is opinion as to what is and what isn't rare) were played over a total of 112 360 shows, while close to the same amount were played over just 76 shows on I&E tour.

Also, (opinion here again) this time around, we got material from October and songs off of Boy that weren't just I Will Follow or Out of Control. I think the band was more open to their entire catalogue on this tour than on the 360 tour, and I think playing arenas as opposed to stadiums helped to facilitate those choices. ( Granted we didn't get POP on either but there is still hope :) )

I also don't think the band would have abandoned the NLOTH material as fast had they been in arenas instead of stadiums. Less casuals to please. But I'm purely guessing on that point.

On this tour they played a lot more shows in the same city so in theory, a lot more rarities should have appeared. By the time they got to Europe we only got a couple of one off (Zoo Station) etc and the setlists seemed pretty set.

Just to clarify i really did enjoy my show...

Behind the Barricade

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2015, 07:23:04 AM »
I got what I considered a rarity at my show, the debut of AIWIY on the tour.

Offline PopMofo97

• Stateless
  • I'm ready, ready for the gridlock
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2015, 08:10:07 AM »
I think we will see something from Pop. Approaching its twentieth anniversary.

Behind the Barricade

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2015, 08:17:17 AM »
I think we will see something from Pop. Approaching its twentieth anniversary.

For its big 2 O I'd like to set a super deluxe CD/DVD box set. 

- A remastered album of Pop

- A remixed alternate version of Pop

- A live double CD the Leeds PopMart show.

- A documentary about the making of Pop.

- A giant inflatable Lemon.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2015, 08:42:05 AM »
After thinking about this more, I think I might be caught with foot in mouth.

I may have read somewhere that during the rehearsals of this tour, they were practicing Playboy Mansion.  If there were any truth to that, then who knows.

Perhaps also, just to please the POP fans or if it might fit the new experience narrative - they might use a POP song in a much abridged for as a lead-in to a bigger song - kind of like they use Hands That Built America, Mother and Child Reunion, or Zooropa.

But a full-on POP song?  They would never replace Mysterious Ways with Discotheque or Sunday Bloody Sunday with Please.  They would either eliminate those songs altogether if they are changing themes but never play a much "smaller" song from POP to replace a timeless hit.

Veering to a tangent which has been started in this thread already, I doubt U2 will have a 20th anniversary POP re-issue.  They will be too busy with the version 2.0 of this tour and the Experience album, they won't want to confuse the fans.

POP might be good for a 25th anniversary release in 2022.

Cheers,

J

iehomecoming

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2015, 08:45:20 AM »
Yes we would all just be so "confused".

Behind the Barricade

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2015, 09:03:13 AM »

We should be so lucky.

But a full-on POP song?  They would never replace Mysterious Ways with Discotheque or Sunday Bloody Sunday with Please.  They would either eliminate those songs altogether if they are changing themes but never play a much "smaller" song from POP to replace a timeless hit.

Please is big, it's bigger than us.

Veering to a tangent which has been started in this thread already, I doubt U2 will have a 20th anniversary POP re-issue.  They will be too busy with the version 2.0 of this tour and the Experience album, they won't want to confuse the fans.

This is probably the case.

It would be better to release it for the 30th anniversary, by which time the band may have realised what a masterpiece they created.

Offline PopMofo97

• Stateless
  • I'm ready, ready for the gridlock
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2015, 11:05:57 AM »

I may have read somewhere that during the rehearsals of this tour, they were practicing Playboy Mansion.  If there were any truth to that, then who knows.

Perhaps also, just to please the POP fans or if it might fit the new experience narrative - they might use a POP song in a much abridged for as a lead-in to a bigger song - kind of like they use Hands That Built America, Mother and Child Reunion, or Zooropa.

POP might be good for a 25th anniversary release in 2022.

Cheers,

J

Moreover, they owe a regular reissue Zooropa. Anyone know why it teamed up with Achtung Baby?

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2015, 11:22:09 AM »

For its big 2 O I'd like to set a super deluxe CD/DVD box set. 

- A remastered album of Pop

- A remixed alternate version of Pop

- A live double CD the Leeds PopMart show.

- A documentary about the making of Pop.

- A giant inflatable Lemon.

I would love something like this as well. I doubt we'll ever get it but it's fun to dream about.

Behind the Barricade

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2015, 11:22:32 AM »
Moreover, they owe a regular reissue Zooropa. Anyone know why it teamed up with Achtung Baby?

I'm frustrated they didn't give Zooropa a proper remastering.  It could do with freshening up.  But then they didn't give AB a proper remastering either.