Author Topic: Why POP (and other obscure tracks) won't ever be played in i+e Tour 2.0  (Read 3850 times)

Offline PopMofo97

• Stateless
  • I'm ready, ready for the gridlock
Re: Why POP (and other obscure tracks) won't ever be played in i+e Tour 2.0
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2015, 11:34:45 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Moreover, they owe a regular reissue Zooropa. Anyone know why it teamed up with Achtung Baby?

I'm frustrated they didn't give Zooropa a proper remastering.  It could do with freshening up.  But then they didn't give AB a proper remastering either.

Yup. Sound AB reissue is desperate.

Offline mic

• Babyface
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2016, 10:40:23 AM »
I think they could at least play Discoteque, everyone knows the bloody song, both hardcore and casual fans

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2016, 01:37:37 PM »
Please is the only song that would really fit, unless they did some kind of bonkers "Discotheque" in the screen instead of EBTTRT

Offline Doc_Holiday

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2016, 04:29:03 PM »
Any Pop song would fit. Pop is just this good.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2016, 01:15:32 AM »
Please is the only song that would really fit, unless they did some kind of bonkers "Discotheque" in the screen instead of EBTTRT

Why bother with Please (or Peace On Earth or Love & Peace Or Else for fans of those) when Sunday Bloody Sunday is a much more classic song and having both would be redundant?

Why put Discotheque when EBTTRT and Mysterious Way are more recognizable hits?

Sure Bullet The Blue Sky is not a hit but they are playing it because it fits the narrative with U2's new lyrics.  Actually, it is not that important of a song that U2 basically rewrote the entire song to fit this tour and add the "experience" narrative.  U2 would never be caught changing the lyrics to any of their hits as drastically as they have transformed Bullet.  So aside from the Bullet exception, U2 have such a diverse catalog that they are better off playing hits for their concert fillers rather than album misses, except for the ocassional one-off.

Cheers,

J

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2016, 02:28:45 AM »
I am not quessing, until i have heard SOE and find out what suits the mood.

But if U2 asked me what i would like? That SOE will sound as AB / POP  and Passengers have been through a blender. And what else will suit it? 90's albums.
I love SOI but i hope that SOE sounds different, just for the freshness.

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2016, 10:04:57 AM »

Why bother with Please (or Peace On Earth or Love & Peace Or Else for fans of those) when Sunday Bloody Sunday is a much more classic song and having both would be redundant?

Sure Bullet The Blue Sky is not a hit but they are playing it because it fits the narrative with U2's new lyrics.  Actually, it is not that important of a song that U2 basically rewrote the entire song to fit this tour and add the "experience" narrative.  U2 would never be caught changing the lyrics to any of their hits as drastically as they have transformed Bullet.  So aside from the Bullet exception, U2 have such a diverse catalog that they are better off playing hits for their concert fillers rather than album misses, except for the ocassional one-off.

Cheers,

J

Why even write "Please", when you can put "Sunday Bloody Sunday" on Pop? Why don't the band just play all the big hits then, if their own only concern is playing recognisable hits? If playing 'recognisable hits' is their only concern, they better play "Last Night On Earth", "Staring At The Sun", "Get On Your Boots", "Discotheque" and "Magnificent" at every show.

"Discotheque" is a fine song. Much more fun that many people realise, including the band.

I know you dislike POP, but it doesn't mean other people do. The reason U2 songs become classics is because they play them live a lot. If they'd never played "Bad" or "Bullet" live, most of us wouldn't be so keen on them.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2016, 09:28:34 PM »

Cheers,

J

Why even write "Please", when you can put "Sunday Bloody Sunday" on Pop? Why don't the band just play all the big hits then, if their own only concern is playing recognisable hits? If playing 'recognisable hits' is their only concern, they better play "Last Night On Earth", "Staring At The Sun", "Get On Your Boots", "Discotheque" and "Magnificent" at every show.

"Discotheque" is a fine song. Much more fun that many people realise, including the band.

I know you dislike POP, but it doesn't mean other people do. The reason U2 songs become classics is because they play them live a lot. If they'd never played "Bad" or "Bullet" live, most of us wouldn't be so keen on them.

As to what songs U2 play or not is up to them. It's not me to decide.

As to how much I like/dislike Pop is irrelevant to the premise I raise in this thread which is to speculate on what songs won't be regulars on the tour.

I'm trying to guesstimate based on historical data and perceived band preference. U2 don't know me.  I doubt they will base their setlists on my preferences.

Cheers,

J

Offline redrunningred

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2016, 10:54:54 AM »
BREAKING NEWS. U2 to play Pop in full on the next leg of their tour.

Offline PopMofo97

• Stateless
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2016, 12:32:37 PM »
Joke of the year  ;)

BREAKING NEWS. U2 to play Pop in full on the next leg of their tour.

Offline PopMofo97

• Stateless
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2016, 12:35:05 PM »
But I think that Please and Staring At The Sun would fit perfectly well in the concert. Pop is unjustly forgotten album.

olimar

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2016, 12:03:11 PM »

Cheers,

J

Agree and the EBTTRT v Discotheque comparison serves a good example.
If I recall, EBTTRT was one of the poorer performing singles from AB (I think the remix fared better), whereas Discotheque is 6 years more recent and a No. 1 single by comparison.
As a result, I think the latter would at least as recognisable, were it not for the fact that the band made the decision to remix and reintroduce EBTTRT to their live set for 360, predominantly because the album was being re-issued.

The band can shape songs popularity themselves to some degree, simply by ignoring some and choosing to play others.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2016, 01:33:57 PM »
To anyone who actually buys the line about such-and-such a song not being played "because it doesn't fit in the context of the overall setlist," I have a bridge I'd like to sell ya.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2016, 01:43:12 PM »
Please would fit the narrative perfectly, and it's sadly still actual if you recontestualize it and change a few lines.
Edge, as he said during a recent interview a couple of months ago, still loves the song.
I agree. Please would be perfect in this context

Offline lemonPOP

• Refugee
  • Love is a temple
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2016, 01:54:44 PM »
Any Pop song would fit. Pop is just this good.

Exactly!  Perfectly put Doc, as long as they are all in with the songs.  Believe in them and bring the passion.