Author Topic: Inspiration from U2? Muse new tour stage  (Read 5536 times)

Waffles

Re: Inspiration from U2? Muse new tour stage
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2015, 01:41:41 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
To me, the youtube clips of Muse look like what U2 should have done with the 360 tour.

What irked me about 360 was that they took a good idea and executed it to about 2/3 of completion.

The 360 tour should have been called the 280 tour. The stage still sat at one end of the Stadium and there was no one on the floor behind them. In certain Stadiums, some of the rear seating directly behind the stage was tarped off.

Furthermore, the band still faced downwards to the one end of the stadium for 95% of the show. They also made poor use of Larry's revolving drum kit.

The Muse setup seems much more thought out. ( Granted they had the luxury to see what worked and what didn't with the 360 tour and build on it ) The stage is in the actual middle of the arena with equal amount of fans on all sides of the stage. Its truly playing "in the round"

There's a quote from the band somewhere why it was called the 360 tour versus in the round. The stage being at one end was on of the reasons. They should've and could've put the claw dead center, but didnt want to. The  focus was more of being able to see them from anywhere, not having them dead center. Thus, the rear stadium seats were sold, which hasn't been done before, creating more profit

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2015, 02:49:37 PM »
The 360 tour was not my favourite I was in red zone both nights and was not impressed. There was no intimacy at all that stage could be seen from airplanes but from the floor I got a stiff neck looking up at the huge stage because they were so high up I didn't feel the intimacy at all. I will take this tour and stage design in arenas any day. It was a great design and they should stick with that setup.

Behind the Barricade

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2015, 03:00:50 PM »
The 360 tour was not my favourite I was in red zone both nights and was not impressed. There was no intimacy at all that stage could be seen from airplanes but from the floor I got a stiff neck looking up at the huge stage because they were so high up I didn't feel the intimacy at all. I will take this tour and stage design in arenas any day. It was a great design and they should stick with that setup.

The stage design had a major flaw but I guess the not inconsiderable number of fans who got a crap view were considered collateral damage.  But is that the right attitude for the band to have?

Offline keaton

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2015, 03:30:41 PM »
The stage design had a major flaw but I guess the not inconsiderable number of fans who got a crap view were considered collateral damage.  But is that the right attitude for the band to have?

Good question.

Btw the 360 view  from behind the stage was WAY better than this tour's view from behind the e stage. I literally saw nothing at all about 2/3 of the concert.... I don't know who came up with this idea but it's nonsense that's for sure.

Waffles

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2015, 04:06:40 PM »
Am I the only one who loves 360? 😂. I loved the stage design, the songs and the bands movement/use of the stage.

Offline Giga Razor

• Stateless
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2015, 04:53:21 PM »
No your not it was there best tour hence the 7 million who saw it ,some just like moaning for the sake of it,some poster here was moaning about screen and sight lines,well your not at the cinema mate ,it's a Rock gig .

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2015, 05:03:36 PM »
No your not it was there best tour hence the 7 million who saw it ,some just like moaning for the sake of it,some poster here was moaning about screen and sight lines,well your not at the cinema mate ,it's a Rock gig .

More people paid to see the Transformers movie then The Godfather. Doesn't mean it was a better film. How many people pay to see a show doesn't make it a great show.

Behind the Barricade

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2015, 05:07:15 PM »

The screens are a MAJOR part of the show that people are spending a LOT of their "hard earned money" to see as well as hear.  The band knew what the sight issues would be for many fans at the very start of the planning process for this tour and yet still pressed on with the concept.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2015, 06:05:29 PM »
muse has great musical chops (so much better than U2), a great stage show, but so little heart and personality live.

Nah I'll take U2 on an off night over them any time.

I get the sense that Muse uses a ton of pre-recorded tracks by the standards of a rock band (not that U2 never does). Maybe I'm wrong about that.  They are easily the best musical performance I remember being on SNL in the past few years; way better than U2's promo spot for No Line, which was just inexplicable song choices and half-assed Bonospeak.

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2015, 06:49:49 PM »
If Muse come to Ohio on this tour, I will certainly see them.  I have seen them twice, they are the best live band of their generation for sure.  Coldplay are probably the biggest band of their generation, and while I like Coldplay, I've never considered them to be that great live.  The only problem is that they always play arenas, and they unfortunately can't fill them.  Unless it's somewhere like LA, Chicago, NYC, they're usually playing to half full arenas in the US.  It's sad, and probably the reason they aren't playing in Ohio this time, because they deserve to be a much bigger band. 

But they aren't half naked girls, so they aren't popular enough in the US, I guess.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2015, 06:55:51 PM »
If Muse come to Ohio on this tour, I will certainly see them.  I have seen them twice, they are the best live band of their generation for sure.  Coldplay are probably the biggest band of their generation, and while I like Coldplay, I've never considered them to be that great live.  The only problem is that they always play arenas, and they unfortunately can't fill them.  Unless it's somewhere like LA, Chicago, NYC, they're usually playing to half full arenas in the US.  It's sad, and probably the reason they aren't playing in Ohio this time, because they deserve to be a much bigger band. 

But they aren't half naked girls, so they aren't popular enough in the US, I guess.

Coldplay has somehow slipped more into a "Rock Band for girls" vibe, at least here in the US.  Not to the extreme of Maroon 5 or Train, who don't have a straight male fanbase at all, but not like U2 or Springsteen, who seem to pull equal amounts of both.  And then there's Rush...

Offline tommyboy6913

• Refugee
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2015, 08:03:59 PM »
I saw Muse recently in Dallas and they were superb. I would put them on the same level of U2 in terms of live performances. However, I do prefer U2's music over Muse.

Offline Kite32

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2015, 02:29:26 AM »

The foo fighters did an in the round stage before U2 did 360 - so if anything muse are 'borrowing' from the foo fighters. For me 360 didn't work at all - the 'claw' looked horrible and the band were totally lost. 360 was almost POPMART like in that it was so big and brash. POPMART worked however as it had a well thought out concept behind it - 360 was big for the sake of being big.

Offline Magnificent

• Wanderer
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2015, 04:30:53 AM »
U2 ruined live gigs for me after seeing the Zoo TV show in London. Nothing ever since has come close :-(

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2015, 06:00:24 AM »

The foo fighters did an in the round stage before U2 did 360 - so if anything muse are 'borrowing' from the foo fighters. For me 360 didn't work at all - the 'claw' looked horrible and the band were totally lost. 360 was almost POPMART like in that it was so big and brash. POPMART worked however as it had a well thought out concept behind it - 360 was big for the sake of being big.

Playing in the round is hardly a new concept.  Here is Yes from 1978, a tour I saw in New haven CT (and my first concert) and they probably "borrowed" it from someone else.

I like 360, but then the two times I saw it , I was up close to the outside rail, so it was fantastic from that perspective.  Still, I have seen nothing from anyone that come close to ZooTV Outside Broadcast.