Author Topic: Inspiration from U2? Muse new tour stage  (Read 5457 times)

iehomecoming

Re: Inspiration from U2? Muse new tour stage
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2015, 08:21:09 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
No your not it was there best tour hence the 7 million who saw it ,some just like moaning for the sake of it,some poster here was moaning about screen and sight lines,well your not at the cinema mate ,it's a Rock gig .

More people paid to see the Transformers movie then The Godfather. Doesn't mean it was a better film. How many people pay to see a show doesn't make it a great show.

This.

I've seen every U2 tour since War and 360 was the worst. By a long shot. A stupid stage design which magnified the lack of intimacy an dprovided obstructed views for thousands. Lacklustre performances. Meh all around. All 275.

iehomecoming

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2015, 08:22:47 AM »
No your not it was there best tour hence the 7 million who saw it ,some just like moaning for the sake of it,some poster here was moaning about screen and sight lines,well your not at the cinema mate ,it's a Rock gig .

The screens are a MAJOR part of the show that people are spending a LOT of their "hard earned money" to see as well as hear.  The band knew what the sight issues would be for many fans at the very start of the planning process for this tour and yet still pressed on with the concept.

It's been a long time since the "genius" Willie came up with a stage design that DIDN'T block views for many people.

I wish they'd dump his ass.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2015, 09:10:17 AM »

The screens are a MAJOR part of the show that people are spending a LOT of their "hard earned money" to see as well as hear.  The band knew what the sight issues would be for many fans at the very start of the planning process for this tour and yet still pressed on with the concept.

It's been a long time since the "genius" Willie came up with a stage design that DIDN'T block views for many people.

Come on, the current screen is hugely improved over the past.  If they came out with a set-up like the legendary ZooTV next time, we'd all be complaining about how tiny the screens were.  The I&E screen is the boldest and most artistically innovative ever.  Yes, unfortunately the people closest to the stage might not get as good a view, but they also get to be the people closest to the stage.  Life is full of choices.

iehomecoming

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2015, 09:17:31 AM »

Come on, the current screen is hugely improved over the past.  If they came out with a set-up like the legendary ZooTV next time, we'd all be complaining about how tiny the screens were.  The I&E screen is the boldest and most artistically innovative ever.  Yes, unfortunately the people closest to the stage might not get as good a view, but they also get to be the people closest to the stage.  Life is full of choices.

Many people didn't get good views on I+E, not just the ones closest to the stage. It's a Rock show, not Broadway. Face the crowd on an end stage and let everyone see what's going on. Focus on the music. Last tour to do that was Elevation, simple, EFFECTIVE. People pay to see the band, not the screens.

Offline striker

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Dream Out Loud
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2015, 09:35:56 AM »

Many people didn't get good views on I+E, not just the ones closest to the stage. It's a Rock show, not Broadway. Face the crowd on an end stage and let everyone see what's going on. Focus on the music. Last tour to do that was Elevation, simple, EFFECTIVE. People pay to see the band, not the screens.

Agreed.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2015, 05:42:34 PM »

I paid top dollar for my seats (e-stage end zone) and the monstrosity of a screen blocked 75% of the stage for the majority of the concert. The fact U2 never mentioned that what would normally be good seats had a blocked view of the stage and would also not have a view of the screen was flat out wrong. Worst U2 show i've ever seen.

Waffles

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2015, 07:02:53 PM »
I really disagree with the comments about 360 being such a terrible tour. There was more sing-along in 360 than IE. The band seemed to put a lot more emotion out on 360. IE may have more intimacy and proximity, but the songs tell a story, they arent meant to create connections. 360 is a true rock-show and is one of their best. IE is a play with a couple greatest hits. Not to say I dont like IE, but I dont think 360 deserves the criticism it gets.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2015, 12:28:25 AM »
muse has great musical chops (so much better than U2), a great stage show, but so little heart and personality live.

Nah I'll take U2 on an off night over them any time.
Agree with that. No connection with audience at all but they sound good.

Offline binary_code

• Stateless
  • Wanna be the song that you hear in your head
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2015, 04:20:08 AM »
muse has great musical chops (so much better than U2), a great stage show, but so little heart and personality live.

Yeah, I saw Muse on their last tour. Have been a moderate fan of them for years, and it sure was a lot of fun. Each of them are technically extremely impressive on mastering their instruments. However, it seemed as they came to do a job, and that's it. No soul, no spontaneity, no surprises.. The songs sounded exactly as they do on the albums (which I guess is a great accomplishment, but you know, then it's not much different than listening trough your speakers at home. Only the sound is louder and better,and you are together with lots of people.)

U2 connects with their audience, that's what makes their shows so much more enjoyable. I think the only two words I heard Matt Bellamy utter that night was "Thank you." Their screens and stage props did all the communication, and that doesn't make for a very personal connection though, does it?

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2015, 10:17:43 AM »
I really disagree with the comments about 360 being such a terrible tour. There was more sing-along in 360 than IE. The band seemed to put a lot more emotion out on 360. IE may have more intimacy and proximity, but the songs tell a story, they arent meant to create connections. 360 is a true rock-show and is one of their best. IE is a play with a couple greatest hits. Not to say I dont like IE, but I dont think 360 deserves the criticism it gets.

agreed with all these points.  I loved the 360 shows I saw.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2015, 10:20:55 AM »

Yeah, I saw Muse on their last tour. Have been a moderate fan of them for years, and it sure was a lot of fun. Each of them are technically extremely impressive on mastering their instruments. However, it seemed as they came to do a job, and that's it. No soul, no spontaneity, no surprises.. The songs sounded exactly as they do on the albums (which I guess is a great accomplishment, but you know, then it's not much different than listening trough your speakers at home. Only the sound is louder and better,and you are together with lots of people.)

U2 connects with their audience, that's what makes their shows so much more enjoyable. I think the only two words I heard Matt Bellamy utter that night was "Thank you." Their screens and stage props did all the communication, and that doesn't make for a very personal connection though, does it?

I think the guy is a serious introvert and he is probably still working out how to translate their music to a live audience the way U2 or Bruce or FF can.  Just guessing.

I read somewhere that Chris Martin had similar issues when CP was starting out.  Seems like he has gotten much better, although I have never seen them live

Behind the Barricade

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2015, 10:42:16 AM »
Muse sound like they perform live like Pink Floyd did.

Offline Basskid

• Staring at the Sun
  • Even the hands of love...
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2015, 10:57:51 AM »
When i first saw this stage a few weeks ago my immediate thought was that it is a combination of the 360 and i&e stages.  From the videos i've seen so far it looks like its working well, but I'll see what i think in person in January!

Offline binary_code

• Stateless
  • Wanna be the song that you hear in your head
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2015, 09:32:59 AM »
When i first saw this stage a few weeks ago my immediate thought was that it is a combination of the 360 and i&e stages.  From the videos i've seen so far it looks like its working well, but I'll see what i think in person in January!
Cool, you let us know!

Offline jgrooms

• Stateless
  • Hello
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2015, 03:41:41 PM »
I saw Muse at Staples Center this past Saturday.  It was fantastic and had many elements of U2's staging from I&E and 360.  But unlike U2, they only addressed the audience twice the entire show.  None the less, I had a great time.