Author Topic: U2 Cringe  (Read 13235 times)

Offline This Dave

• Numb
Re: U2 Cringe
« Reply #120 on: January 19, 2016, 02:56:24 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This. Just look at it. Look at the fake, overly happy smiles. I hope they never do this kind of corporate ar*e kissing again. This is why lots of people don't like U2.
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I really disagree.  At that moment, everyone WAS happy.  They had just given the world a free album, and thought it was something fun and cool to do. 
We all felt the same way that day.  Little did we realize how petty and pathetic people would get.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 03:06:41 AM by This Dave »

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #121 on: January 19, 2016, 03:03:47 AM »
Say what you want about Bush, his intentions were always for world peace (or was it for all that oil we never took)

Why don't you google all the military action initiated by Bush and then eat some humble pie? His intentions were never peaceful.

You have it completely backwards. The Neo-con option WAS the nice guy option- they wanted to give the Arab world the ability to be free and develop like Western democracies, not nuke them into the Stone Age.  Unfortunately, they were wrong.  The Arab world, on the whole, seems to revert either to warlord/terrorist chaos, or hard-ass dictators who put their boot on the neck of those who fall out of line.  It would have been great if the neocons were right. 
You know what else wasn't right? The people saying Bush was "stealing the oil". You have to admit now that that didn't happen. You have to admit that Afghanistan wasn't about building a pipeline.  You have to admit that, however flawed, we tried extremely hard to build Iraq and Afghanistan into functioning democracies, but Hell on Earth is their default mode if we don't hold it together for them.  Sad.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #122 on: January 19, 2016, 03:30:56 AM »
Again, I don't mean to be mean but in my book you get points for living a long life and doing things, not dying young unnecessarily.

It's easy to never have a bad moment on stage if you bail out of life before it happens.  All sympathy to the mental anguish of suicide victims, but I hate when people compare artists with a tiny body of work to someone who has had a long career, and see it all through rose-colored glasses.
Here's an idea: Maybe Nirvana would have been absolutely embarrassing crap by 1996, and would today find themselves on one of those "remember the 90's" tours with Matchbox 20 and Smashmouth.  That's no less absurd than what Snoop Dogg has become, compared to his 1993 self. Cobain was, like most people, in absolutely no way ready to handle the icon status someone like Bono or Jagger carries. He died just in time for the Voice of a Generation stuff to be permanently cemented in the grave, where in life it would have crumbled away quickly.
I could make a list a mile long of stuff I wish the band, and Bono in particular, would not do.  But I think we sometimes lose sight of the fact that there is pretty much no one else in the world who could survive being Bono in one piece. U2's place in music history is a complete one-off.  Even the tiny handful of comparable names out there aren't anywhere NEAR U2 in terms of longevity at that level without becoming a greatest hits act (and don't tell me Springsteen; he hasn't even attempted to connect with a younger generation since the 80's. He has his huge fan base and does great, but he was not putting himself out there on MTV in the 2000's).  We take it completely for granted that Bono isn't in and out of drug rehab or on his 5th marriage, but that's not how it usually goes for men like him.

On the other hand, the blonde do is an abomination. And Edge's fringe jacket is embarrassing.

iehomecoming

« Reply #123 on: January 19, 2016, 08:27:13 AM »
Any U2 fans on this thread? Anyone? Hello?

Yes. Everyone on this thread has passed the double-secret U2 fan litmus test.

However rumor has it there is a secret cabal of "true fans" who believe U2 to be infallible and like everything U2 has ever done or will do.

And of course there can be absolutely no middle ground. People who choose to focus on what they enjoy rather than on what might have made them cringe at some point are mindless sycophants, right? Of course.

Of course there is middle ground, people who love u2 but acknowledge that they have produced some awful music or done some cringeworthy things.

But really, what did you expect to find in a thread with this title ?

And because you found exactly what the thread implies why would you then question if the people posting were U2 fans ?

There's many an "appreciation" thread to indulge in nothing-but-positive about the topic being appreciated.

The rest is discussion, and not everyone is on the same page about everything U2 has done.

Personally I find much of what U2 has done in the 00s musically, business-wise and certain band members personally cringe-worthy. In some cases still do. Should we not express these things here ?

Luckily over a 35+ year career the good still far far outweighs the bad for me, or I wouldn't still be going to see them, buying their records, etc.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #124 on: January 19, 2016, 12:34:36 PM »
This. Just look at it. Look at the fake, overly happy smiles. I hope they never do this kind of corporate ar*e kissing again. This is why lots of people don't like U2.
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I really disagree.  At that moment, everyone WAS happy.  They had just given the world a free album, and thought it was something fun and cool to do. 
We all felt the same way that day.  Little did we realize how petty and pathetic people would get.

the one good thing about this picture for me is that at least Bono had not yet gone full-nuclear orange.  His hair actually looks like it belongs on a human here, and not on an orangutan.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #125 on: January 19, 2016, 12:50:56 PM »
It's funny, but Bono has always been a cringe-inducer, even from the get-go. From his awful Chorus Line-style dancing at Red Rocks, through the forced melodrama of the late '80s, all the way to the present day, he has always generated massive facepalms from me (the ZooTV era may be the least prone to this kind of thing).

At this point you just gotta laugh and go along with it. He'll never be "cool," it's just not going to happen.

Offline Kite32

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #126 on: January 19, 2016, 03:45:12 PM »

Yes. U2 were happy because they got paid a load of money without having to sell any records. The bloke from Apple looks happy because he has perfect teeth and is worth billions. Doesn't change the fact it was a terminally crap gesture that backfired on them let alone SOI being a distinctly average album

Offline Kite32

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #127 on: January 19, 2016, 03:48:45 PM »
Say what you want about Bush, his intentions were always for world peace (or was it for all that oil we never took)

Why don't you google all the military action initiated by Bush and then eat some humble pie? His intentions were never peaceful.

You have it completely backwards. The Neo-con option WAS the nice guy option- they wanted to give the Arab world the ability to be free and develop like Western democracies, not nuke them into the Stone Age.  Unfortunately, they were wrong.  The Arab world, on the whole, seems to revert either to warlord/terrorist chaos, or hard-ass dictators who put their boot on the neck of those who fall out of line.  It would have been great if the neocons were right. 
You know what else wasn't right? The people saying Bush was "stealing the oil". You have to admit now that that didn't happen. You have to admit that Afghanistan wasn't about building a pipeline.  You have to admit that, however flawed, we tried extremely hard to build Iraq and Afghanistan into functioning democracies, but Hell on Earth is their default mode if we don't hold it together for them.  Sad.

You are either playing the devils advocate, naive or stupid. But let's take the middle ground and assume you are naive.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #128 on: January 19, 2016, 06:27:51 PM »

the one good thing about this picture for me is that at least Bono had not yet gone full-nuclear orange.  His hair actually looks like it belongs on a human here, and not on an orangutan.

I can't believe he doesn't get more s**t in he media for the current hair. And I can't believe people around him don't tell him it looks stupid.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #129 on: January 19, 2016, 06:29:24 PM »
It's funny, but Bono has always been a cringe-inducer, even from the get-go. From his awful Chorus Line-style dancing at Red Rocks, through the forced melodrama of the late '80s, all the way to the present day, he has always generated massive facepalms from me (the ZooTV era may be the least prone to this kind of thing).

At this point you just gotta laugh and go along with it. He'll never be "cool," it's just not going to happen.

It was ok for white people to be terrible dancers in the 80's.  The bar has been raised since then.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 02:17:21 AM by This Dave »

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #130 on: January 20, 2016, 07:12:56 AM »
Any U2 fans on this thread? Anyone? Hello?

Yes. Everyone on this thread has passed the double-secret U2 fan litmus test.

However rumor has it there is a secret cabal of "true fans" who believe U2 to be infallible and like everything U2 has ever done or will do.

And of course there can be absolutely no middle ground. People who choose to focus on what they enjoy rather than on what might have made them cringe at some point are mindless sycophants, right? Of course.

Of course there is middle ground, people who love u2 but acknowledge that they have produced some awful music or done some cringeworthy things.

But really, what did you expect to find in a thread with this title ?

And because you found exactly what the thread implies why would you then question if the people posting were U2 fans ?

There's many an "appreciation" thread to indulge in nothing-but-positive about the topic being appreciated.

The rest is discussion, and not everyone is on the same page about everything U2 has done.

Personally I find much of what U2 has done in the 00s musically, business-wise and certain band members personally cringe-worthy. In some cases still do. Should we not express these things here ?

Luckily over a 35+ year career the good still far far outweighs the bad for me, or I wouldn't still be going to see them, buying their records, etc.
Didn't some receive bans and have posts removed for being negative in an appreciation post? I'm sure I saw something along those lines...

As mentioned, the OP set this thread up as a cringe thread. Not the place to look for flowers and lollipops.

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #131 on: January 20, 2016, 02:11:21 PM »

You are utterly wrong.

Also, I have a life, and I can't be bothered debating the issue here ; it isn't even the right place to either. If you think that what Bush did was the 'nice guy' option, well, let's just say more people disagree with you across the planet than agree with you.

Bush is a war criminal according to Larry in "U2 by U2", and lots of people agree with his assessment.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
« Reply #132 on: January 20, 2016, 02:20:42 PM »

You are utterly wrong.

Also, I have a life, and I can't be bothered debating the issue here ; it isn't even the right place to either. If you think that what Bush did was the 'nice guy' option, well, let's just say more people disagree with you across the planet than agree with you.

Bush is a war criminal according to Larry in "U2 by U2", and lots of people agree with his assessment.

Bush jumped in to Iraq in order to remove a threat.  He bungled it badly.  Criminally incompetent is how I would describe him and his administration.  But a war criminal?  I don't think so.  And with all due respects to Larry, who cares what he thinks.

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #133 on: January 20, 2016, 02:44:40 PM »

You are utterly wrong.

Bush jumped in to Iraq in order to remove a threat.  He bungled it badly.  Criminally incompetent is how I would describe him and his administration.  But a war criminal?  I don't think so.  And with all due respects to Larry, who cares what he thinks.

I think Larry's opinion matters. Your milage may vary!

M

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
« Reply #134 on: January 20, 2016, 03:00:31 PM »

You are utterly wrong.

I think Larry's opinion matters. Your milage may vary!

M

8) ;D