Author Topic: U2 Cringe  (Read 13141 times)

Offline Johnny_Mac12

• Refugee
Re: U2 Cringe
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2015, 10:52:47 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This. Just look at it. Look at the fake, overly happy smiles. I hope they never do this kind of corporate ar*e kissing again. This is why lots of people don't like U2.
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The 2nd half of ATYCLB (and HTDAAB) were also cringey.
Eww. And on top of that, Tim Cook is an Auburn grad. Yuck!

Offline redrunningred

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2015, 11:26:53 PM »
I actually liked the apple giveaway. I think if it was any other band it would probably be sell out like, but as we all know, U2's fans have an extra special place in the bands hearts, beyond ,past other bands, we have it pretty good, and I think the band genuinely wanted to reward us.

For me, it would be the Blonde hair, edge falling off of the stage, thought I laughed, and the cover of Helter Skelter

Offline Kite32

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2015, 02:41:06 AM »

The apple debacle was surely the most high profile cringe fest U2 have been involved with. It was a display of breathtaking arrogance. U2 either badly misjudged it or knew how people were going to react but went ahead and did it anyway.

Weirdly U2 declared they were going back to their 'punk roots' with SOI - I can't think of anything less punk than jumping into bed with apple and playing at their keynote. What were they thinking???

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2015, 08:35:21 AM »
I think the 'evil triumvirate' thing here smacks of a bit of 'bandwagon jumping', whitewashing and a snowball which has turned into an avalanche. Sure, they may not be their best moments on record, but there have been worse. It's becoming almost cliche for U2 fans to lump these 3 tunes together and whip their asses. Get on your boots has it's moments, so does stand up comedy (especially the bridge). Surely there aren't that many U2 fans who hate ALL THREE!

Just my opinion.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2015, 08:50:05 AM »
too many cringe worthy moments to list, but also a hell of a lot of epic moments too.

as for the Apple thing, yes that was awful - probably the most desperate, sad thing the band have done.  Afraid to put their music properly on sale and believe this was some type of 'gift to fans' - nonsense.  The recent remarks by Edge saying they have not ruled out another Apple release are startling.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 08:52:37 AM by SlyDanner »

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
  • Little and little they robbed and stole...
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2015, 09:27:30 AM »
This. Just look at it. Look at the fake, overly happy smiles. I hope they never do this kind of corporate ar*e kissing again. This is why lots of people don't like U2.
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The 2nd half of ATYCLB (and HTDAAB) were also cringey.
Eww. And on top of that, Tim Cook is an Auburn grad. Yuck!

;D ;D ;D

iehomecoming

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2015, 10:11:49 AM »
I think the 'evil triumvirate' thing here smacks of a bit of 'bandwagon jumping', whitewashing and a snowball which has turned into an avalanche. Sure, they may not be their best moments on record, but there have been worse. It's becoming almost cliche for U2 fans to lump these 3 tunes together and whip their asses. Get on your boots has it's moments, so does stand up comedy (especially the bridge). Surely there aren't that many U2 fans who hate ALL THREE!

Just my opinion.

Alternatively. It's not a bandwagon thing and people do think these 3 songs are absolute drivel.

I know I found them unlistenable from the get go, and I'm willing to take people's opinions at face value.

There's not one redeeming moment in those 3 songs, and if it wasn't U2 I wouldn't have given them a 2nd listen.

Offline tom_b1807

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2015, 12:04:28 PM »

Just my opinion.

Alternatively. It's not a bandwagon thing and people do think these 3 songs are absolute drivel.

I know I found them unlistenable from the get go, and I'm willing to take people's opinions at face value.

There's not one redeeming moment in those 3 songs, and if it wasn't U2 I wouldn't have given them a 2nd listen.

The 'let me in the sound' part on Boots is its only redeeming factor imo. I also happen to think SUC isn't that bad a song.

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2015, 02:59:48 PM »
Have any of you listened to the second half of ATYCLB or HTDAAB ? "Stand Up Comedy" is approximately 1,876 times better than 'A Man And A Woman'.

Offline JHook

• Numb
  • Your voice was all I heard.
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2015, 05:27:22 PM »
Have any of you listened to the second half of ATYCLB or HTDAAB ? "Stand Up Comedy" is approximately 1,876 times better than 'A Man And A Woman'.

I need someone to explain to me exactly what bothers them so much about 'A Man and a Woman.' I'm serious. The words? The music? You don't like love songs? What?

Offline redrunningred

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2015, 05:30:21 PM »
Same. I don't get why people hate A Man and A Woman. Their greatest song? No. But it doesn't deserve anywhere near this amount of hate.

iehomecoming

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2015, 06:04:12 PM »
Crap melody. Crap lyrics. More saccharin than a Pepsi bottling plant. No energy. No balls.  Just bad bad pop music. I rofl a lot when I hear bono refer to htdaab as "punk rock from venus" then heat amaaw. Even Coldplay wouldn't touch that one with a 10 foot pole. Well, actually, yeah, they would

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2015, 06:25:07 PM »
I realize A Man and a Woman sucks, but I still love it anyway for some reason. Strangely, I resent songs like Crazy Tonight, California, Stand Up Comedy, Boots, etc. but I love In a Little While and AMAAW.

Offline JHook

• Numb
  • Your voice was all I heard.
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2015, 11:15:15 PM »
Crap melody. Crap lyrics. More saccharin than a Pepsi bottling plant. No energy. No balls.  Just bad bad pop music. I rofl a lot when I hear bono refer to htdaab as "punk rock from venus" then heat amaaw. Even Coldplay wouldn't touch that one with a 10 foot pole. Well, actually, yeah, they would

Interesting. I quite like the lyrics. Pretty song. Not everything needs balls.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2015, 02:29:08 AM »
This;
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (from 00:45).

Followed by this;
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (from11:02).