Author Topic: U2 Cringe  (Read 13190 times)

voughtla

Re: U2 Cringe
« Reply #165 on: May 23, 2016, 07:23:25 PM »
I happen to like "Stand Up Comedy".  I also liked "let me in the sound" from "Get on Your Boots".   "Crazy Tonight" wasn't great.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #166 on: May 24, 2016, 06:21:19 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I forgot Bono in the Sweetest Thing video from the 90s.  Holy crap is that video awful.

While I don't agree that it was awful, I thought The Sweetest Thing threatened to be the nail in the coffin of their career as far as the general public was concerned.  How they avoided being bashed for something syrupy and cheesy (albeit intentionally so) is something I can't figure out.  Instead, it became quite a hit with people I know who aren't necessarily fans.  In fact, I'm sure it would be considered a bigger hit than anything off SOI or No Line. And I actually thought people might think a band giving away an album was cool and not worse than the holocaust.

Never underestimate how bad Joe Public's musical taste is.
The Sweetest Thing vid...even I didn't care for that one! Although, those firefighters were kinda hot. ha

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #167 on: May 24, 2016, 08:39:35 PM »
For me, I'd say Bono's marching/dancing on the Under A Blood Red Sky dvd; the pretentiousness of parts of Rattle&Hum ("this is a song that Charles Manson stole from the Beatles; we're stealing it back" and "play the blues, Edge!" whence the Edge played a solo that was about as far from the blues as is possible); the godawful voice that Bono used when singing Desire on the ZOOTV Tour; Bono acting like a monkey for parts of the PopMart show; Bono's overly sermonizing on the Vertigo Tour (I expect it on some level, as he is Bono; but, look to the Chicago dvd and see how long he sermonizes before both Miracle Drug and One....... it's totally overkill; on their tour last year, he kept it short and sweet, leading into Iris, Song For Someone, and Mother&Child Reunion/Where The Streets Have No Name; though the bit in North America after Bullet The Blue Sky was a bit much, especially with how polarizing some of his references were ("don't shoot!" with the "hands up don't shoot" hand gestures, especially as official investigations and testimony, ranging from ballistics to eyewitnesses, more than demonstrated that that simply didn't happen in Ferguson; I get that Bono is liberal and all, from an American perspective, and I can respect that, as one is entitled to their own opinions on any given matter; but, one isn't entitled to their own facts........ the bit in Europe was also a bit much, I thought, in part as it is also a hugely polarizing subject in European discourse. For me, it is the fact that the "Syrian refugee crises" is predominantly not even people from Syria, nor is it families/women-and-children, but males aged 15-45 coming by themselves and far too many ultimately disrespecting local cultural norms (i.e., not assimilating) from anything from complaining about slow wifi, to the New Years debacle in Cologne, to the fact that Sweden now has the highest rape statistics in the western world, and that the government and police routinely cover it up, all for fear of looking racist...... again, Bono is entitled to his opinions on these subjects, but there is no good that can come from ignoring the facts that are so readily available to anyone who is open-minded enough to have their presuppositions challenged. Only then, I think, can one truly practice compassion, as only then can one more objectively see how to extend said compassion.
Good intentions alone aren't enough, especially with a man as intelligent as Bono); also, I think that it's cool that U2 brings fans on stage, I tire of seeing the same people over the years (I may be wrong, but I was at NYC8 at MSG last July, as wasn't the girl whom he pulled on stage for Mysterious Ways the same girl as from the Chicago dvd?! If it wasn't her, then I'll be damned if it's not a doppelgänger! At the second Toronto show, the one girl was a true moment of spontaneity; the same at the second Belfast show, with the two Mexican kids).

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #168 on: May 25, 2016, 10:01:44 AM »
For me, I'd say Bono's marching/dancing on the Under A Blood Red Sky dvd; the pretentiousness of parts of Rattle&Hum ("this is a song that Charles Manson stole from the Beatles; we're stealing it back" and "play the blues, Edge!" whence the Edge played a solo that was about as far from the blues as is possible); the godawful voice that Bono used when singing Desire on the ZOOTV Tour; Bono acting like a monkey for parts of the PopMart show; Bono's overly sermonizing on the Vertigo Tour (I expect it on some level, as he is Bono; but, look to the Chicago dvd and see how long he sermonizes before both Miracle Drug and One....... it's totally overkill; on their tour last year, he kept it short and sweet, leading into Iris, Song For Someone, and Mother&Child Reunion/Where The Streets Have No Name; though the bit in North America after Bullet The Blue Sky was a bit much, especially with how polarizing some of his references were ("don't shoot!" with the "hands up don't shoot" hand gestures, especially as official investigations and testimony, ranging from ballistics to eyewitnesses, more than demonstrated that that simply didn't happen in Ferguson; I get that Bono is liberal and all, from an American perspective, and I can respect that, as one is entitled to their own opinions on any given matter; but, one isn't entitled to their own facts........ the bit in Europe was also a bit much, I thought, in part as it is also a hugely polarizing subject in European discourse. For me, it is the fact that the "Syrian refugee crises" is predominantly not even people from Syria, nor is it families/women-and-children, but males aged 15-45 coming by themselves and far too many ultimately disrespecting local cultural norms (i.e., not assimilating) from anything from complaining about slow wifi, to the New Years debacle in Cologne, to the fact that Sweden now has the highest rape statistics in the western world, and that the government and police routinely cover it up, all for fear of looking racist...... again, Bono is entitled to his opinions on these subjects, but there is no good that can come from ignoring the facts that are so readily available to anyone who is open-minded enough to have their presuppositions challenged. Only then, I think, can one truly practice compassion, as only then can one more objectively see how to extend said compassion.
Good intentions alone aren't enough, especially with a man as intelligent as Bono); also, I think that it's cool that U2 brings fans on stage, I tire of seeing the same people over the years (I may be wrong, but I was at NYC8 at MSG last July, as wasn't the girl whom he pulled on stage for Mysterious Ways the same girl as from the Chicago dvd?! If it wasn't her, then I'll be damned if it's not a doppelgänger! At the second Toronto show, the one girl was a true moment of spontaneity; the same at the second Belfast show, with the two Mexican kids).
Wow, I agree wholeheartedly with all of Bono's political commentary.  I don't like the fans coming on stage however.  Especially since after standing next to one of the lucky few for a few hours in Vancouver, didn't really think they were very deserving and in fact were a bit holier than thou with their attitude.

Offline striker

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Dream Out Loud
« Reply #169 on: May 25, 2016, 02:59:22 PM »
Surely you've omitted a few other cringey moments?

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #170 on: May 25, 2016, 08:09:08 PM »
Surely you've omitted a few other cringey moments?

Maybe.

voughtla

« Reply #171 on: May 27, 2016, 12:23:19 PM »
Having the fans in drag on stage was a weird moment. I'm not anti-trans or anything but it just looked a bit tacky to me.  How about having people without an agenda on stage, like for example, me?