Author Topic: U2 Cringe  (Read 13145 times)

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
Re: U2 Cringe
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2016, 04:09:01 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This;
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (from 00:45).

Followed by this;
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (from11:02).

So you object to Bono bringing a boy on stage for a song about a boy?? Seemed like a nice gesture to me

agreed, I thought it was a cool moment.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2016, 04:12:26 PM »
  I recently watched the HBO Paris show. The competition winners on stage during elevation. That's not good.

Embarrassing to watch, I fast forward past it every time.

Oh God, GET OVER THIS.

I hate to be rude, but U2 have been bringing people up on stage for 30 years, this is nothing new, and hasn't been for three decades.

with respect, you're not being rude, you're just not understanding the criticism.  People aren't complaining about fans up on stage... the issue is specific to how they did it in Paris on the last night, with all of them at once dancing around on their own during Elevation.  It was not a great moment.  If you disagree that is fine.  Just understand what the criticism actually is before telling people to GET OVER IT.

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
  • Little and little they robbed and stole...
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2016, 07:03:51 PM »
Much as I loved Rattle and Hum when I was a young 'un and it came out I can't abide the moment back stage where Bono is telling everyone when to come in on the next song - "Not the first verse, not the second verse ..."

Agreed...but the look on Edge's face when Larry says to Adam "just watch me, because Edge is on completely different timing as usual"...classic!

Really? I thought that moment was very real, a true backstage moment...

Offline Am I bugging you?

• Party Girl/Boy
  • “Fu<k the revolution”
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2016, 07:27:02 PM »
  I recently watched the HBO Paris show. The competition winners on stage during elevation. That's not good.

Oh God, GET OVER THIS.

I hate to be rude, but U2 have been bringing people up on stage for 30 years, this is nothing new, and hasn't been for three decades.
  That's ok, you can be as rude as you like. I'm sorry if I upset you, but that moment made me cringe. I love it when unexpected fans are invited on stage. But when it's a blatant setup, it can make me cringe.
  Ask yourself, "Is this rock n roll"

Offline redrunningred

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2016, 08:10:04 PM »
What happened? What was going on behind the scenes? I didn't really understand what Bono was saying.

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2016, 04:08:54 AM »

Oh God, GET OVER THIS.

with respect, you're not being rude, you're just not understanding the criticism.  People aren't complaining about fans up on stage... the issue is specific to how they did it in Paris on the last night, with all of them at once dancing around on their own during Elevation.  It was not a great moment.  If you disagree that is fine.  Just understand what the criticism actually is before telling people to GET OVER IT.

I understand the criticism and am dismissing it. I've heard the interviews on the podcast so now how it was handled on the last night, and they did it well. If they'd've brought up an unplanned random who'd've freaked out or not signed a release form (like ZooSydney) people would be criticising it as well. The band gave something back to fans who've seen them a lot of times this year by giving them a chance to dance on stage at the End Of Tour Show, and it was fun. The band have been bringing people on stage frequently for the past 30 years, the fact is they got it organised for the TV broadcast, it's no big deal. You don't like people dancing on stage and having fun with the band? Well, the Boring Corner is over *there*.

Offline Mr. Red

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2016, 06:26:50 PM »
This;
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (from 00:45).

Followed by this;
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (from11:02).

So you object to Bono bringing a boy on stage for a song about a boy?? Seemed like a nice gesture to me

agreed, I thought it was a cool moment.

Bono bringing the kid on stage during "into the heart" was a spontaneous, heartfelt, spectacular moment for me. Just sitting there with him in such an unassuming way was vintage Bono, seemed so unrehearsed ......kind of miss that Bono sometimes!

Offline DK46

• Refugee
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2016, 07:58:09 PM »
I think many have mentioned them here: the Apple fiasco, also the iPod thing back in 2004, pretty much all their 2000s musical output with a few songs here and there that I can stomach.  The sermonizing at shows, buddying up with Dubya, Bono's speeches about how capitalism is amazing and helps poverty, which then mirrors the tax dodging.  The entire Live Aid 2005 concert, my God, could Bono and Geldof be more in love with themselves.  I am sure the cause was noble, but I am with Damon Albarn on this, how about you highlight some African artists.  Yes, it's about Africa, and I get that they needed some big names to bring attention, but still, it could've been planned out a lot better.

Also, this may not be popular here, but the Super Bowl Halftime Show, yes it was good and compelling, but then when Bono opened his jacket to show the American flag at the end.  I think that moment is why people want to sock Bono in the face.  It's this over earnest-ness that just annoys me like no other.   I think his antics post-9/11 kinda ticked me off, the whole "America is more than a country, it's an idea" thing. Yes, Bono means well, but just shut up sometimes man.   I understand that people evolve and what not, but I do miss "Bullet the Blue Sky" Bono a bit.  I still like this band, but it's been harder to defend them a lot in the last 15 years, IMO. 

Luckily, there's plenty of other music out there that makes me just, if not more excited. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 08:00:42 PM by DK46 »

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2016, 09:33:06 PM »
I probably took this the wrong way……the concert from Paris that was aired on HBO. 

U2 did the song Bullet the Blue Sky and was the war areas of Syria and Bono sang "outside it's America."  I was confused by the references.

LightMyWay92

« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2016, 04:50:42 PM »
Most cringeworthy moment?  The Popmart costumes!  Not sure if I will ever be over that trauma:)

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2016, 04:55:55 PM »
One of mine is all the "moaning" Bono does a lot of the time before the start of Mysterious Ways. He also does it for like 20 seconds on the Rose Bowl DVD before In a Little While, and it's just awkward to listen to.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2016, 05:30:53 PM »
I probably took this the wrong way……the concert from Paris that was aired on HBO. 

U2 did the song Bullet the Blue Sky and was the war areas of Syria and Bono sang "outside it's America."  I was confused by the references.

Bullet has been confusing in terms of what it stands for for a long time. Though musically I thought it sounded better on this tour than it has since Popmart.

Offline redrunningred

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2016, 05:31:32 PM »
I think many have mentioned them here: the Apple fiasco, also the iPod thing back in 2004, pretty much all their 2000s musical output with a few songs here and there that I can stomach.  The sermonizing at shows, buddying up with Dubya, Bono's speeches about how capitalism is amazing and helps poverty, which then mirrors the tax dodging.  The entire Live Aid 2005 concert, my God, could Bono and Geldof be more in love with themselves.  I am sure the cause was noble, but I am with Damon Albarn on this, how about you highlight some African artists.  Yes, it's about Africa, and I get that they needed some big names to bring attention, but still, it could've been planned out a lot better.

Also, this may not be popular here, but the Super Bowl Halftime Show, yes it was good and compelling, but then when Bono opened his jacket to show the American flag at the end.  I think that moment is why people want to sock Bono in the face.  It's this over earnest-ness that just annoys me like no other.   I think his antics post-9/11 kinda ticked me off, the whole "America is more than a country, it's an idea" thing. Yes, Bono means well, but just shut up sometimes man.   I understand that people evolve and what not, but I do miss "Bullet the Blue Sky" Bono a bit.  I still like this band, but it's been harder to defend them a lot in the last 15 years, IMO. 

Luckily, there's plenty of other music out there that makes me just, if not more excited.
Ahem, um, as you can see, I disagree on your opinion pertaining to the merits of that particular stunt Bono did at the Superbowl.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2016, 05:34:54 PM »

Ahem, um, as you can see, I disagree on your opinion pertaining to the merits of that particular stunt Bono did at the Superbowl.

SB performance was awesome.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2016, 05:37:43 PM »

Bullet has been confusing in terms of what it stands for for a long time. Though musically I thought it sounded better on this tour than it has since Popmart.

agreed on both points.

I have always been a bit conflicted with Bullet.  Great song, but thematically it represents Bono's preaching that misfires.