Author Topic: U2 Cringe  (Read 13209 times)

Offline redrunningred

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
Re: U2 Cringe
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2016, 07:32:49 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think many have mentioned them here: the Apple fiasco, also the iPod thing back in 2004, pretty much all their 2000s musical output with a few songs here and there that I can stomach.  The sermonizing at shows, buddying up with Dubya, Bono's speeches about how capitalism is amazing and helps poverty, which then mirrors the tax dodging.  The entire Live Aid 2005 concert, my God, could Bono and Geldof be more in love with themselves.  I am sure the cause was noble, but I am with Damon Albarn on this, how about you highlight some African artists.  Yes, it's about Africa, and I get that they needed some big names to bring attention, but still, it could've been planned out a lot better.

Also, this may not be popular here, but the Super Bowl Halftime Show, yes it was good and compelling, but then when Bono opened his jacket to show the American flag at the end.  I think that moment is why people want to sock Bono in the face.  It's this over earnest-ness that just annoys me like no other.   I think his antics post-9/11 kinda ticked me off, the whole "America is more than a country, it's an idea" thing. Yes, Bono means well, but just shut up sometimes man.   I understand that people evolve and what not, but I do miss "Bullet the Blue Sky" Bono a bit.  I still like this band, but it's been harder to defend them a lot in the last 15 years, IMO. 

Luckily, there's plenty of other music out there that makes me just, if not more excited.
Ahem, um, as you can see, I disagree on your opinion pertaining to the merits of that particular stunt Bono did at the Superbowl.

SB performance was awesome.

Agreed. Im sure you knew I would feel like that, if you get what im saying lol

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
U2 Cringe
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2016, 08:04:00 PM »
Bono's weird arm-waving during the yeah yeah's in Vertigo that he sometimes does. Just look at the HBO special.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2016, 10:18:27 PM »
I think many have mentioned them here: the Apple fiasco, also the iPod thing back in 2004, pretty much all their 2000s musical output with a few songs here and there that I can stomach.  The sermonizing at shows, buddying up with Dubya, Bono's speeches about how capitalism is amazing and helps poverty, which then mirrors the tax dodging.  The entire Live Aid 2005 concert, my God, could Bono and Geldof be more in love with themselves.  I am sure the cause was noble, but I am with Damon Albarn on this, how about you highlight some African artists.  Yes, it's about Africa, and I get that they needed some big names to bring attention, but still, it could've been planned out a lot better.

Also, this may not be popular here, but the Super Bowl Halftime Show, yes it was good and compelling, but then when Bono opened his jacket to show the American flag at the end.  I think that moment is why people want to sock Bono in the face.  It's this over earnest-ness that just annoys me like no other.   I think his antics post-9/11 kinda ticked me off, the whole "America is more than a country, it's an idea" thing. Yes, Bono means well, but just shut up sometimes man.   I understand that people evolve and what not, but I do miss "Bullet the Blue Sky" Bono a bit.  I still like this band, but it's been harder to defend them a lot in the last 15 years, IMO. 

Luckily, there's plenty of other music out there that makes me just, if not more excited.
Ahem, um, as you can see, I disagree on your opinion pertaining to the merits of that particular stunt Bono did at the Superbowl.

SB performance was awesome.

Agreed. Im sure you knew I would feel like that, if you get what im saying lol

yup... B looked great back then too.... hard to believe that was only 14 years ago

Offline redrunningred

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2016, 10:47:17 PM »
True dat. But now he is rockin the, weathered but in a good way look.

Offline mrsamrocks2

• Numb
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2016, 02:20:48 PM »
Bono's weird arm-waving during the yeah yeah's in Vertigo that he sometimes does. Just look at the HBO special.
Ian Curtis from Joy Division used to do that. I guess it's the reason why he does that.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2016, 02:28:56 PM »
It's precisely the reason why he does that. It's 100% a nod to Curtis.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2016, 03:25:06 PM »
This;
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (from 00:45).

Followed by this;
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (from11:02).

So you object to Bono bringing a boy on stage for a song about a boy?? Seemed like a nice gesture to me

agreed, I thought it was a cool moment.

Sorry both,  I am willing to call this moment many things, but cool is definitely not one of them.
For me, seeing rocker Bono having a Barney the dinosaur moment is very cringe.

I get its about a boy but I would feel the same if the band suddenly started dancing with moles during elevation.

Offline Kite32

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2016, 03:43:00 PM »
Ian Curtis from Joy Division used to do that. I guess it's the reason why he does that.

There is a difference between Ian Curtis and Bono. The former was as real as artists get and didn't plagiarise. The latter has become a parody of himself.

Behind the Barricade

« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2016, 04:13:11 PM »
Sorry to be mean but the impression Bono's made on the world is like a dinosaur annihilating asteroid compared to Ian's stone causing a ripple on a gentle stream.

Offline Kite32

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2016, 04:18:32 PM »
Sorry to be mean but the impression Bono's made on the world is like a dinosaur annihilating asteroid compared to Ian's stone causing a ripple on a gentle stream.

I beg to differ. Joy Divisions music has made as much, if not more of an impact than U2. In fact if Bono is to be believed Joy Division had a massive impact on U2's music!

iehomecoming

« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2016, 04:34:26 PM »
depends how you measure "impact" really. If it's Sales/Attendances/Name&Face recognition etc it's U2 by a landslide.

if it's "how much beard wax do their latter day fans buy" then it's probably Joy Division.

Look, Joy Division's "legend" has been greatly exaggerated by the fact that their singer killed himself, much like Nirvana's. But frankly other than LWTUA most people would be hard pressed to name one more JD song, let alone 3 or 4.

Behind the Barricade

« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2016, 04:38:11 PM »
Again, I don't mean to be mean but in my book you get points for living a long life and doing things, not dying young unnecessarily.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2016, 06:33:03 PM »
New Dawn Fades is my favorite Joy Division song.

Offline Kite32

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2016, 01:58:22 AM »
Again, I don't mean to be mean but in my book you get points for living a long life and doing things, not dying young unnecessarily.

Ian Curtis suffered from severe depression and epilepsy - he was also 23 and struggling with being in a band with these ailments let alone the break down of his marriage. I wouldn't call his decision to take his own life 'unnecessary' but each to their own.

As for Joy Divisions impact of course they can't compete with U2 in terms of sales but I would certainly argue their musical influence has been greater. Like the sex pistols they may not have been together for a long time but their influence is still felt today.

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
U2 Cringe
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2016, 02:41:13 AM »
I hate seeing pictures of the band members (mostly Bono) hanging out with the so-called french celebs / Wa***rs / show offs on the french riviera...

As they said once : there are many, many levels to Zoo TV. This is the lowest.

Hearing Bono thank Johnny Hallyday everytime U2 play in France... "Johnny" symbolises everything "has been" in this country, musically. The guy is stupid, uneducated, politically ill-advised and never wrote a damn song. Just a poseur with a nice voice. Everything U2 aren't.