Author Topic: U2 Cringe  (Read 13238 times)

Offline redrunningred

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
Re: U2 Cringe
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2016, 07:17:20 AM »
You should have seen my face whenever I'm reminded that he used to pall around with Bush. Bono is so passionate about world peace, and I believe him, so why would you hang out with the man who accidentally attacked the wrong country? That's one of my most cringeworthy moments.

Offline JHook

• Numb
  • Your voice was all I heard.
« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2016, 08:13:54 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You should have seen my face whenever I'm reminded that he used to pall around with Bush. Bono is so passionate about world peace, and I believe him, so why would you hang out with the man who accidentally attacked the wrong country? That's one of my most cringeworthy moments.

Bono didn't "pal around" with Bush. He convinced Bush to release a huge sum of money to improve conditions for AIDS patients in the most impoverished parts of Africa, and this was pretty successful. Had Al Gore become president in 2000, Bono would have done the same thing.

By the way, Bush didn't "accidentally" attack Iraq. He had every intention of doing so from the very beginning of his presidency.

iehomecoming

« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2016, 08:32:11 AM »

Bono didn't "pal around" with Bush. He convinced Bush to release a huge sum of money to improve conditions for AIDS patients in the most impoverished parts of Africa, and this was pretty successful. Had Al Gore become president in 2000, Bono would have done the same thing.

By the way, Bush didn't "accidentally" attack Iraq. He had every intention of doing so from the very beginning of his presidency.

Cringe Cringe and Cringe again. Could you imagine 1987 Bono doing this with Ronald Reagan ? I'm sure Larry was fuming.

Yeah he's not "palling around"

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline redrunningred

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2016, 08:40:22 AM »

Cringe Cringe and Cringe again. Could you imagine 1987 Bono doing this with Ronald Reagan ? I'm sure Larry was fuming.

Yeah he's not "palling around"

Whether or not Bush always intended to invade Iraq is not the question. I give him the benefit of the doubt. But regarless, Bono could have gotten Bush to release the amount of AIDS money that he did without all the public appearances with a man definitely not interested in world peace.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2016, 10:35:51 AM »
The best and worst thing about Bono is that he is very neutral politically. He hangs out with everyone from Bill Clinton to that one very conservative governor (I forget his name, Jesse something).

Offline jjcruiser

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2016, 10:48:08 AM »
The best and worst thing about Bono is that he is very neutral politically. He hangs out with everyone from Bill Clinton to that one very conservative governor (I forget his name, Jesse something).

I don't think he's neutral.  I think Bono is a pragmatist.  He wants money for poor people and doesn't care how or from whom he gets it.  I think this is easily the most important thing about him, why he should have won the Nobel peace price, what we should all learn from him, and what I hope people read in his biography 100 years from now.

I can't believe people are acting like Bono's hobnobbing with Bush to secure AIDS funding is somehow cringe worthy.  I'm offended on behalf of all the Africans with AIDS who received antivirals as a result.  Thank God Bono didn't have your perverse principles that political appearances trump living with a death sentence.

I read an astoundingly myopic criticism of the RED campaign recently.  Tom Brady, arguably the most famous NFL player and best QB in history, donated a football lesson for RED (like Bono did with the bike ride).  There was criticism of RED (of RED!) for using Tom Brady because Tom Brady says he is "friends" with Donald Trump.  So in other words, RED should reject the donations that come in from Brady's donation because he has a tangential relationship to a nutball presidential candidate.  Absolutely ridiculous.  "Oh, so sorry starving and poor people in the developing world, but my dislike for a political candidate is so strong that a different guy who is friends with him should not be able to raise money from his fans for you."

Btw you are thinking of Jesse Helms, former senator from North Carolina famous for his pro-segregationlist views, who is a good reminder than few people are all bad or all good.

Offline redrunningred

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2016, 10:49:33 AM »

While he will hang out with anyone he thinks will give money to alleviate poverty, I doubt he would have given COBL to John McCain, dude put a rant about how awesome gay marriage was in Pride this tour at one of the stops, when Ireland legalized it.  I think in his personal views he is a liberal, at least on the US scale. But is true he will deal with anybody he thinks will help him in his cause, because he definitely seperates his personal beliefs to being pragmatic when dealing with politicians. As a liberal hardcore Bruce Springsteen fan, I can tell youth at the Boss's approach to politics is a little bit different lol

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2016, 10:54:39 AM »

I don't think he's neutral.  I think Bono is a pragmatist.  He wants money for poor people and doesn't care how or from whom he gets it.  I think this is easily the most important thing about him, why he should have won the Nobel peace price, what we should all learn from him, and what I hope people read in his biography 100 years from now.

I can't believe people are acting like Bono's hobnobbing with Bush to secure AIDS funding is somehow cringe worthy.  I'm offended on behalf of all the Africans with AIDS who received antivirals as a result.  Thank God Bono didn't have your perverse principles that political appearances trump living with a death sentence.

I read an astoundingly myopic criticism of the RED campaign recently.  Tom Brady, arguably the most famous NFL player and best QB in history, donated a football lesson for RED (like Bono did with the bike ride).  There was criticism of RED (of RED!) for using Tom Brady because Tom Brady says he is "friends" with Donald Trump.  So in other words, RED should reject the donations that come in from Brady's donation because he has a tangential relationship to a nutball presidential candidate.  Absolutely ridiculous.  "Oh, so sorry starving and poor people in the developing world, but my dislike for a political candidate is so strong that a different guy who is friends with him should not be able to raise money from his fans for you."

Btw you are thinking of Jesse Helms, former senator from North Carolina famous for his pro-segregationlist views, who is a good reminder than few people are all bad or all good.

Yeah, I would agree with that. It's an important part of a good businessman to be persuasive and stop and nothing (for better or for worse).

And I agree with your comments 100%. I may not like someone like Bush or Jesse Helms (that's who I was thinking of, thanks), but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be able to talk to them. That's the problem with politics now. Parties aren't willing to talk with each other and compromise. And this is coming from a young liberal.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2016, 11:10:50 AM »

Yeah, I would agree with that. It's an important part of a good businessman to be persuasive and stop and nothing (for better or for worse).

And I agree with your comments 100%. I may not like someone like Bush or Jesse Helms (that's who I was thinking of, thanks), but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be able to talk to them. That's the problem with politics now. Parties aren't willing to talk with each other and compromise. And this is coming from a young liberal.

I'm pretty sure the relationship and set up photo opportunitites benefitted Bush as much as it did Bono and was a "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" type of arrangement. Otherwise the business would have been done behind closed doors and may not have had such a positive outcome.

Offline Kite32

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2016, 04:03:01 PM »

I'm a huge critic of Bono but I would say, in the case of George bush only someone very stupid would want to have his picture taken with one of the great villains of this century (along with Tony Blair). Bono put himself in that position for a worthy cause. Wether he could have achieved the same goals differently is a matter of debate.

Behind the Barricade

« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2016, 04:16:50 PM »
Do you think Bono and George got down on their knees and prayed together?

Offline Kite32

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2016, 04:19:16 PM »
Do you think Bono and George got down on their knees and prayed together?

They had a threesome with Blair

Behind the Barricade

« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2016, 04:33:33 PM »
Again, I don't mean to be mean but in my book you get points for living a long life and doing things, not dying young unnecessarily.

Ian Curtis suffered from severe depression and epilepsy - he was also 23 and struggling with being in a band with these ailments let alone the break down of his marriage. I wouldn't call his decision to take his own life 'unnecessary' but each to their own.

Yeah I would say it was totally unnecessary.

iehomecoming

« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2016, 04:41:25 PM »
Yup, completely unnecessary. Especially being from a country with free health care.

Behind the Barricade

« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2016, 04:44:08 PM »
Mental health services aren't all that in the UK either.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 04:49:42 PM by Behind the Barricade »