Author Topic: Not-So-Bold 2016 Prediction: There Will Be No "Songs Of Experience"  (Read 7577 times)

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
Here are some points to ponder for 2016:

1.  U2 have never ever delivered/declared on an album title which they announce 2 years earlier.  No working title has ever become a title. (illustration: Songs of Ascent)

2.  The tour was called "innocence + experience" and so far there are no open dates, but the HBO broadcast is already done.  Will U2 still keep the same "experience" name?

3.  U2 have likened the Achtung songs (EBTTRT, Mysterious Ways) when the innocence turns to experience because the band wakes up in the future.  In my own opinion, the tour also ends with One or I Still Haven't Found because that is the lesson "experience" taught them. 

4.  U2 scrapped the Rick Rubin sessions partly because the gestation period of the songs were so long that they didn't sound fresh anymore.  The so-called Songs of Experience started life during the Innocence era, so U2 might just be mentally fatigued from playing and replaying and remixing those songs.

5.  Wouldn't U2 want to separate themselves from the "innocence" term after the backlash of the release of the album?

6.  HBO Broadcast with the Paris events gave it the tour more publicity and perhaps everyone has seen it.

If U2 were to release Songs of Experience this year, they would have to book/announce tour dates (which they haven't done yet and are booked in zero venues for 2016 to the best of my knowledge) and they would have to continue with the name of the tour, and release an album title so confusingly similar to "Songs of Innocence" which has been criticized for its release method.

Having said all those things above, I have come to this educated guess about what 2016 holds for U2:

1.  They will attempt to finish Songs of Experience in the studio after the holiday season is over.

2.  They will find some of the songs dated and irrelevant already, and be so excited with new ideas - so they will not know what to do anymore.

3.  They will still need to recoup their development and setup costs for the i+e tour so they will book venues they haven't played yet: Australia, South America, etc., and those audiences will just watch U2 regardless of content or even if they are just playing the same show.  Given no announcement has been made, I'd expect this to be at least until the second hard of the year.

4.  U2 will figure out a new album is not to the best of their interests, and calling it Songs of Experience would even make things worse and more confusing.  So they will just tour and put everything on hold for 2016 and go into extended hibernation again.

In the unlikely event they will really release an album this year, I doubt they will still keep the Songs of Experience name.  Then at the end of the year, I will revisit this thread and see how these predictions went.

By the way, I called it "not-so-bold" because I am sure it's nothing bold when you predict U2 inaction or delays.  The bold move is actually to believe everything the band says about the state of their recording hook-line-and-sinker.

Cheers,

J

Offline Doc_Holiday

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Not-So-Bold 2016 Prediction: There Will Be No "Songs Of Experience"
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 10:43:02 PM »
I agree, there will be no album.

Offline fishcci

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 08:56:26 PM »
I have a feeling your right about them scrapping the "experience" title and theme; I expected a new album this year, but if they do abandon the "experience" idea, there will be no new album this year; I wonder where they would go from there, as far as a theme for a new album?

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 10:11:11 PM »
My expectations for a new album are very low.  I'm sure they've always intended there to be a 2nd album in this campaign, but as we've learned many times, the plug can be pulled at anytime.  If we receive a new U2 album 2 years after the last one, I'll be extremely, pleasantly surprised.  But people should not get their hopes up.  I'd say the odds of SOE actually being released this calendar year are 60% not released / 40% will be released.  I'd like to be proven wrong, but I think I know this band pretty well after 20+ years of fandom.

I just hope that even if the new album doesn't happen, that the tour continues on.  They've already postponed/cancelled an entire European leg this summer to work on this album.  That tells me they're at least serious about working on it, but will it be enough? 

Behind the Barricade

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 10:12:27 PM »
I'm living on a prayer, but with Songs of Innocence already released we're halfway there.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 10:12:49 PM »
i just wonder if they scrap SOE, will the tour go on? be renamed? same name?

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 11:01:00 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
i just wonder if they scrap SOE, will the tour go on? be renamed? same name?

As I've said, they can keep the name of the tour and play markets that this tour hasn't visited yet - so they surely fill up because they are hungry for a U2 arena tour.  We can look to Australia, South America, Asia, and even a possible stint in Southeast Asia. If they play in my country, the Philippines, I am pretty sure they can fill 4 consecutive nights in a regular sized arena, or they can do two night in the world's biggest indoor arena - Philippine Arena - which houses 50,000.  These markets won't care much for new material so the release of a new album isn't vital.  These markets also get a different HBO programming so the concert might be buried in the programming and not viewed by many.

Once they are done with those markets, they would have probably recouped the i+e costs, made some tidy profit, and not really be interested in completing the new album.  They may decide to just take a break and dream it up all over again.

So to answer your question, I think the tour will still be the same name.  By that time, the experience word would be so overused, there would be slim chance they would still bother naming their next album Songs of Experience.

Cheers,

J

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 05:10:20 AM »
Yeah yeah we know, SOE isn't coming until 2020 in jick world.

1. A rose by any other name...whether or not it's called SOI the album is still planned for this year. So far nothing to indicade SOE will be called anything else. SOA also hasn't changed its name.

2. Erm...yes ? Why on earth would they change it ?

3. Thanks for the douchey tour spoiler.

4. They scrapped Rubin. They didn't scrap Danger Mouse sessions, merely continued with different producers because DM ran out of time.

5. Not really given the tour name.

6. Two tour legs so far is hardly "everyone" seeing the tour. Personally I avoided the HBO special when it aired in my country because I plan to see the tour when it returns to Europe. I suspect several other fans did the same. Also, getting a new album out before the tour continues would be a great way to *sell the tour when it comes back to Europe/US. The tour is said to continue in late 2016, with a new album. But yes, nothing *official*TM yet.

Offline Giga Razor

• Stateless
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 08:22:04 AM »
Here are some points to ponder for 2016:

1.  U2 have never ever delivered/declared on an album title which they announce 2 years earlier.  No working title has ever become a title. (illustration: Songs of Ascent)

2.  The tour was called "innocence + experience" and so far there are no open dates, but the HBO broadcast is already done.  Will U2 still keep the same "experience" name?

3.  U2 have likened the Achtung songs (EBTTRT, Mysterious Ways) when the innocence turns to experience because the band wakes up in the future.  In my own opinion, the tour also ends with One or I Still Haven't Found because that is the lesson "experience" taught them. 

4.  U2 scrapped the Rick Rubin sessions partly because the gestation period of the songs were so long that they didn't sound fresh anymore.  The so-called Songs of Experience started life during the Innocence era, so U2 might just be mentally fatigued from playing and replaying and remixing those songs.

5.  Wouldn't U2 want to separate themselves from the "innocence" term after the backlash of the release of the album?

6.  HBO Broadcast with the Paris events gave it the tour more publicity and perhaps everyone has seen it.

If U2 were to release Songs of Experience this year, they would have to book/announce tour dates (which they haven't done yet and are booked in zero venues for 2016 to the best of my knowledge) and they would have to continue with the name of the tour, and release an album title so confusingly similar to "Songs of Innocence" which has been criticized for its release method.

Having said all those things above, I have come to this educated guess about what 2016 holds for U2:

1.  They will attempt to finish Songs of Experience in the studio after the holiday season is over.

2.  They will find some of the songs dated and irrelevant already, and be so excited with new ideas - so they will not know what to do anymore.

3.  They will still need to recoup their development and setup costs for the i+e tour so they will book venues they haven't played yet: Australia, South America, etc., and those audiences will just watch U2 regardless of content or even if they are just playing the same show.  Given no announcement has been made, I'd expect this to be at least until the second hard of the year.

4.  U2 will figure out a new album is not to the best of their interests, and calling it Songs of Experience would even make things worse and more confusing.  So they will just tour and put everything on hold for 2016 and go into extended hibernation again.

In the unlikely event they will really release an album this year, I doubt they will still keep the Songs of Experience name.  Then at the end of the year, I will revisit this thread and see how these predictions went.

By the way, I called it "not-so-bold" because I am sure it's nothing bold when you predict U2 inaction or delays.  The bold move is actually to believe everything the band says about the state of their recording hook-line-and-sinker.

Cheers,

J

VERY negative and assuming post,I think your completely wrong on most of your assumptions, U2 had a lot of time to mull over the last album so as to tie in with Apples big launch, so much so that they brought in extra producer's to polish it up  and where they could write a huge amount of songs that will feature on the next album, the tour by U2 standards was quite short so they can  get the album out before heading back on the road, , I think this time they have a very clear and definite plan Bono has been playing journalists several songs from the new album something he did leading up to Zooropa, and maybe they are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel and big gaps between albums may no longer be an option as time is no longer on their side.And by the by spare a thought for Metallica fans they haven't had a album of new material in 8 years and lest we forget the Stone Roses 22 years  sabbatical yet both bands are active touring wise anyway.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 08:46:16 AM »
VERY negative and assuming post,I think your completely wrong on most of your assumptions, U2 had a lot of time to mull over the last album so as to tie in with Apples big launch, so much so that they brought in extra producer's to polish it up  and where they could write a huge amount of songs that will feature on the next album, the tour by U2 standards was quite short so they can  get the album out before heading back on the road, , I think this time they have a very clear and definite plan Bono has been playing journalists several songs from the new album something he did leading up to Zooropa, and maybe they are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel and big gaps between albums may no longer be an option as time is no longer on their side.And by the by spare a thought for Metallica fans they haven't had a album of new material in 8 years and lest we forget the Stone Roses 22 years  sabbatical yet both bands are active touring wise anyway.

Assuming I'll be less "negative" and U2 will miraculously release an album this year, my "not-so-bold" prediction is that they will ditch the "Songs of Experience" name simply based on precedent.  U2 have never ever named an album title two years before it's release. Never.

Cheers,

J

Offline Giga Razor

• Stateless
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 09:11:47 AM »
That doesn't mean they won't ,as mentioned previously a well thought out plan is currently in place and this time it is a lot more credible than before, this tour will resume along with a new album later this year I've no doubt about that nobody predicted R&H or Zooropa or the Apple release so they are well capable of doing a quick follow up  ,Bono's injury put everything on the  back burner and delayed all their plans however I've no doubt u will be made eat your words.Cheers Gigs.

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 09:43:51 AM »
I have no doubt that the next album will be SOE.  They have gone on too much about this for it not to be.  Whether it will be released end of 2016 or early 2017 is another story.  I also think they will continue with the same tour title with I&E tour.  In my opinion a calculated decision so that the gate receipts will continue from the 2015 tour tally.  Maybe they want to make a push to beat 360 as highest grossing tour (will be extremely difficult) but at least to own the number 1 and 2 grossing tours of all time, knocking off the rolling stones who own the 2nd spot with The Bigger Bang Tour with 558,000,000 which could be in reach if they continue the tour under the same name of I&E.  Just a guess.

Offline mic

• Babyface
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2016, 10:02:25 AM »
I'm pretty sure there will be a new album and new tour in 2016
The music is almost complete and most importantly they can do a complete new tour re-using the same stage and screen instead of having to design and build an entire new structure. It all sounds very profitable

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 01:10:55 AM »
and this time it is a lot more credible than before,

What measure is used to determine if a declaration is "a lot more credible" than before?  Please name the last instance any band member said something at least 2 years prior to release date, and it turned out to be prophetic or "credible"?

I have no doubt that the next album will be SOE.  They have gone on too much about this for it not to be.

They've gone on too much about Rubin after the Bomb sessions and give us hyperbole about what they were recording, only to retreat to Eno/Lanois and give us NLOTH.  If it's any precedent, U2 going too far or too much doesn't mean they will never backpedal.  Good point about keeping the tour the same name too.  records are quite important for the band, and breaking some sort of arena attendance record for this tour would be something they would like and can only achieve by continuing the name of the tour.

No less than this very own esteemed site has vital info on the new album here:

In a September 2014 article, Bono guesstimated that U2 were 12 to 18 months from the follow up album.  We are now in month 16, and we have also heard declarations of it being until the end of the year (at the very least).  So even in this front, Bono has missed the date by a wide wide margin.  It will be at least 24 months.

Let me reproduce what Clayton said in 2011 about Songs of Ascent:

"We thought there was more material left over from No Line... we now feel a long way from that material."

He said that a little over 2 years after No Line was released, and it seems they lost any motivation to finish it.  The end of this year will also be 2 years since Songs of Innocence was released, so it can't be that far fetch for U2 to start feeling a long way from the experience material too.

At this point, all of the band's misdeclarations, deceptions, and false pretenses don't do anything for me since they have historically done the same thing time and time again.  What really never ceases to amaze and amuse me is how some fans still keep on believe every new falsehood thrown at them as if history hasn't taught them a lesson.

Cheers,

J

Offline Albono

• Child of Grace
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 04:29:47 AM »
At this point, all of the band's misdeclarations, deceptions, and false pretenses don't do anything for me since they have historically done the same thing time and time again.  What really never ceases to amaze and amuse me is how some fans still keep on believe every new falsehood thrown at them as if history hasn't taught them a lesson.

Cheers,

J

i understand where you're coming from, but sorry man... you are starting to sound like a bitter lover.
can't we all just be glad that we will be hearing new material from the band "soon"?

i'm just grateful that the band is promising new music, and working their a**es off to keep me entertained.
they can release it whenever they want, i won't mind.

what's important is, they're still here. why can't you just enjoy them?