Author Topic: Not-So-Bold 2016 Prediction: There Will Be No "Songs Of Experience"  (Read 7573 times)

Offline satellitedog

• Child of Grace
Re: Not-So-Bold 2016 Prediction: There Will Be No "Songs Of Experience"
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2016, 05:02:20 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

To be honest, I don't believe in soon anymore, they've started pushing the date out.
Good luck to all those waiting.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2016, 08:41:40 AM »

i understand where you're coming from, but sorry man... you are starting to sound like a bitter lover.
can't we all just be glad that we will be hearing new material from the band "soon"?

i'm just grateful that the band is promising new music, and working their a**es off to keep me entertained.
they can release it whenever they want, i won't mind.

what's important is, they're still here. why can't you just enjoy them?

On the contrary, I am enjoying the band a lot now. SOI has some great singalong tunes, and their currenttour has a great setlist avoiding the albums I consider weak, while pouring on the hits.

However, there are many other threads for discussing their awesome music and tour. This thread was intended to add some gravity to those who may feel like flying after the band's usual scheduled dose of declaring schedules they never fulfill. For the veteran U2 fan, it's just the same old schtick. For the casual fan, they just might get their hopes up too much and need some grounding.

With perhaps some pun intended, this thread may reveal the great divide between the "innocent" U2 fan versus the "experienced" U2 fan. Those on our side of the fence can understand my not-so-bold prediction.

U2 are great musicians. But great fortune tellers they are not.

Cheers,

J

Behind the Barricade

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2016, 08:46:52 AM »
I don't think the casual fan gives a toss.

Waffles

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2016, 03:48:38 PM »
By now, they've massed so much material it seems a bit odd if they just stop the release. However, I 100% doubt an ascent album ever happening

Offline redrunningred

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2016, 04:21:59 PM »
My theory is that SOA will be one of those Michael Jackson Xscape- esque releases after the band is long gone 

Offline redrunningred

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2016, 05:56:30 PM »
There is a separate post so I'll post on that to, but this album rounds a lot like Zooropa. One tour, two albums made to companion each other. I don't think the band thought the Zooropa songs sounded "stale" and some of them were developed during the AB sessions. They picked em up, finished em, and released a great new album for another leg of the same tour. This feels like a similar setup.

Behind the Barricade

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2016, 07:51:24 PM »
And on that tour they went from arenas into stadiums, which I reckon they'll do on this tour.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2016, 01:07:59 AM »
There is a separate post so I'll post on that to, but this album rounds a lot like Zooropa. One tour, two albums made to companion each other. I don't think the band thought the Zooropa songs sounded "stale" and some of them were developed during the AB sessions. They picked em up, finished em, and released a great new album for another leg of the same tour. This feels like a similar setup.

U2 are no strangers to recording while on tour.

They did Rattle and Hum during the Joshua Tree Tour.

They did Zooropa during the Zoo TV Tour.

..and even after they still did some work.

During Popmart, they spent some studio time - but it was really to fix the POP songs and remix them to try to save them and make them single-worthy.  But still, it is studio time.

Not too sure about the Elevation Tour, but wasn't that the time they came up with Hands That Built America and Electrical Storm?

During the Vertigo Tour, they did manage to work on new material where The Saints Are Coming and Window In The Skies came forth.  They claimed to be recording with Rick Rubin.  They also reworked Original Of The Species for the single.

During the 360 Tour, they claimed Songs of Ascent would be soon, wrote a new song Glastonbury, and performed some new and unfinished songs - Boy Falls From The Sky, Every Breaking Wave, Mercy, and also wrote some Spider-Man tracks.  We got an EP of Wide Awake In Europe.  They even got to re-record Even Better Than The Real Thing as a remix for the Achtung anniversary release to make it similar to the 360 arrangement they did.  They even re-arranged Magnificent during that tour.

So U2 are no strangers to going to the studio while on tour.  That is really the norm actually.  Their problem is that they never get to release a complete album - with the only instance being Zooropa. So history is not on their side.  Their going to the studio while touring has been a recurring them that never spills out a complete album.  Why do you all think this time will be any different?  History and precedent are better indicators, and not the band's hyperbole.

Cheers,

J

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2016, 09:21:24 AM »
Well, we can still hope, can't we?

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2016, 04:29:36 PM »
Well, I don't think that the past is a guarantee of the future.  I do believe that U2 created the idea of SOE as a complement to SOI such that if it comes out, I suspect the name will stick.  The thing with if it comes out is that I do think U2 have a bad habit of second guessing themselves and what they write to the point where what they considered as SOE may in fact be dead.  If SOE is going to exist, it really needs to be out of their hands now (kind of like Zooropa or RH).  But, if they still find themselves in the recording process, than the album and its name will die together. 

As others here have stated, I am quite ecstatic with SOI as it is.  And, if there is one thing 2000's U2 have taught me, it's that I need to broaden my tastes in music and quit obsessing over one band.  It's a lot easier to live with long U2 gaps if you have multiple favorite bands.

And on a more optimistic side, I really suspect that some day (not sure when), all the unfinished albums we haven't seen will see the light of day.  There are potentially 3 U2 albums for the future, even after U2 retires.

Behind the Barricade

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2016, 04:39:08 PM »
On the Innocence + Experience tour thing, I assumed the tour was called that because the first part of the show was the innocence part and the second part of the show was the experience part.  So there's no need for a follow up Songs of Experience album in order to explain the tour name.

Waffles

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2016, 05:03:54 PM »
On the Innocence + Experience tour thing, I assumed the tour was called that because the first part of the show was the innocence part and the second part of the show was the experience part.  So there's no need for a follow up Songs of Experience album in order to explain the tour name.

I assumed an innocent show night 1 and experience show night 2 😐. My guess is experience was to be acoustic and innocence rock n roll.

Offline sailornick

• Wanderer
I read in a recent interview with Adam where he referred to SOE and recommencing the tour. I saw it at atu2.com me thinks

Behind the Barricade

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2016, 05:36:57 PM »

I assumed an innocent show night 1 and experience show night 2 😐. My guess is experience was to be acoustic and innocence rock n roll.

You were wrong to assume.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2016, 08:00:07 PM »

The show became the innocence part in the start to the experience part in the 2nd half.  The original plan was innocence one night then experience the second night but they ditched it.

In short, they have been doing just fine filling in the "experience" portion of the show with old songs - which is also one of the reasons which lead me to believe they won't feel any urgency to release Songs of Experience or to have the need to name it such, if and when they decide to release something.

Cheers,

J