Author Topic: Not-So-Bold 2016 Prediction: There Will Be No "Songs Of Experience"  (Read 7636 times)

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
Re: Not-So-Bold 2016 Prediction: There Will Be No "Songs Of Experience"
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2016, 08:31:41 AM »
My thoughts were that SOE and the Experience portion were all about songs they already had for an SOE album.  I suspect that at the time SOI was released, they all but had the tracks together for an SOE album.  I suspect there was a similar thing with SOA many years ago.  Then time went on; Bono's bike accident occurred; and, they started to think too hard about things.  Who knows?  As Jick stated, they didn't need the SOE album to have an Experience portion to their concert.  When you think about it, U2 have been writing about Experience for years; most artists do. 

As they replace the songs they had at the time SOI was released with new ones, I suspect SOE mutates and will probably evolve into a new album (as will the delay for when it will be released).  Or, perhaps they'll just release something without the SOE name at all and just get a collection of songs out. 

Behind the Barricade

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2016, 08:33:35 AM »
... or perhaps the biscuit barrel is empty.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2016, 04:27:03 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
As they replace the songs they had at the time SOI was released with new ones, I suspect SOE mutates and will probably evolve into a new album (as will the delay for when it will be released)

My thoughts exactly.  That's why my money is on no album out this year and that mutation will bring forth an album that is not Songs of Experience.

Another "promise" which I think U2 will not keep is that the new album will be released in a new music format they are co-developing with Apple that makes it harder to pirate and gives the artist some sort of benchmark how many times the song was played.  I think that was all hot air they were blowing.

Cheers,

J

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2016, 05:08:21 AM »
You say "U2 scrapped the Rick Rubin sessions partly because the gestation period of the songs were so long that they didn't sound fresh anymore.  The so-called Songs of Experience started life during the Innocence era, so U2 might just be mentally fatigued from playing and replaying and remixing those songs."

But U2's gestation period for new songs is always so long that they don't sound fresh anymore to the band themselves. So that does not mean much in the grand scheme of things.

Anyhow, whilst I'm still enjoying SOI like it had come out 3 weeks ago, I expect the band to keep on touring this year because that's their job. If they can finish an album's worth of songs during that time, they should better put it out right away once these are completed - rather than go into hiding for the next 4 years like they have done more often than not. This is about staying in the public conciousness more than anything else. I guess their new manager will agree. It probably won't  be a 2016 release but a 2017 release will work out just fine in that regard. And they could keep the same stage setup then, too. What their next album is going to be called is anyone's guess really.

I'm just happy that U2 are a working band again and that they intend to keep on doing that for the forseeable future. And a new album will rather come from that than from Bono doing another few years full-time as a political campaigner.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2016, 05:52:27 AM »
Right on!

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2016, 01:41:28 PM »
I think that the fact u2.com says the boys are finishing up new material before heading back on the road means that something is imminent.

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2016, 08:48:16 PM »
Yeah, with all of this recent news I have a feeling we get SOE by May.

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
  • There is no them, there's only us
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2016, 03:29:34 AM »
Jick is usually right. I see no reason to argue otherwise at the moment.

Offline aussieu2

• Wanderer
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2016, 04:35:02 AM »
SOA was only mentioned a couple of times during the NLOTH era.
Songs of Experience has been talked about far more by the band since SOI's release which makes me think it has to happen in some form. A 2 leg world tour just doesn't make sense.
They obviously have some great songs ready to go, especially after listening to Adam Scott Auckermans podcast interview with the band where they heard 3 or 4 songs which they said sounded great.
I think the band took a well earned break from everything at the end of the I&E tour and are only now just getting into the studio to finish off the album.
Although Bono hyped SOE the day SOI was released, remember not everything has gone to plan since Sep 14. Bono's bike accident, the death of their long time tour manager, the death of Larry Mullen Sr and the Paris terror attacks have obviously thrown a spanner in the works of SOE's release.

Offline aussieu2

• Wanderer
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2016, 04:36:52 AM »
I'm also tipping the album will be called 'Age Of Experience'

Offline Sunchild

• Stateless
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2016, 05:49:03 AM »
Any time one does a prediction there has to be a tuning in or tapping into the source of collective consciousness, not what happened before, we're on the frequency of innocence that seems to have been embraced by the band as well as most people I know, and innocence means surprising, doing things with freshness unexpectedly. If anything, it means the band will be doing more and more the opposite of what they used to be doing. Exciting times. Keep innocence alive. <3

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2016, 06:11:53 AM »
Songs of Experience has been talked about far more by the band since SOI's release which makes me think it has to happen in some form. A 2 leg world tour just doesn't make sense.
They obviously have some great songs ready to go, especially after listening to Adam Scott Auckermans podcast interview with the band where they heard 3 or 4 songs which they said sounded great.
I think the band took a well earned break from everything at the end of the I&E tour and are only now just getting into the studio to finish off the album.
Although Bono hyped SOE the day SOI was released, remember not everything has gone to plan since Sep 14. Bono's bike accident, the death of their long time tour manager, the death of Larry Mullen Sr and the Paris terror attacks have obviously thrown a spanner in the works of SOE's release.

How do the Paris terror attacks impact on u2 making a record?

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2016, 10:09:32 AM »
My prediction is that this year will see the release of SOE and then in the near future there will be either an EP released titled Songs of Ascension or a double album of the same name that combines both SOI and SOE along with a few new tracks.  Maybe SOA will be a future fan club gift.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 11:42:34 AM by ShankAsu »

Offline aussieu2

• Wanderer
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2016, 11:30:43 AM »

Well it did delay the end of the tour by a few weeks and may have shaken up the band, but yeah, probably didn't impact the record at all.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2016, 03:39:49 AM »

Well it did delay the end of the tour by a few weeks and may have shaken up the band, but yeah, probably didn't impact the record at all.

Probably impacted it with Bono feeling like he had to write a song about it....

Not sure i like the idea but if it is more please than peace on earth it would be good....