Author Topic: Not-So-Bold 2016 Prediction: There Will Be No "Songs Of Experience"  (Read 7634 times)

Offline aussieu2

• Wanderer
Re: Not-So-Bold 2016 Prediction: There Will Be No "Songs Of Experience"
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2016, 06:21:01 PM »
Yes Please!

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2016, 01:12:37 AM »
U2 appeared in that U Talkin' U2 To Me Podcast and let the hosts listen to some of their new material.  The hosts also suggested in the interview that it might be better to release the songs sooner, second-guess less - to which Bono sort of agreed saying SOI might have been too polished.  That podcast was eons ago now, so obviously U2 haven't followed through on that advice or on their declarations.  In short, that ship has sailed.

During the SOI release, Bono declared that SOE was very close and could be released within 18 months in a new music format they are developing with Apple.  Instead, Apple launched Apple Music in 2015, and then released updated version of the iPhones (which U2 helped launch), but this time with no mention of U2.  In short, that ship has sailed too.

One of the more recent soundbytes from the band was a release towards the end of this year, which means those who are hoping for anything in the first half of the year are very off.  On the contrary, not a single rumor has come out yet of any venues U2 has booked to tour or play in.  Given the magnitude of their tours (and how they sometimes send sports teams on the road for a week when they invade certain arenas/stadiums), if they were really planning it already then some sort of word or rumor would have leaked out.  There is none.  No tour means no new album is imminent.

To the more die-hard fans here who want follow U2's social media like (aka Instagram), there have been the random posts of different members of U2 in different cities around the world enjoying the life.   There is not a single shot in the studio or any hint of them working on anything.

All that I can say is that the entire calendar year of 2016 will be done and there won't be any "Songs of Experience" and chances are there won't even be the slightest hint of new material - unless U2 believe so much in one of the songs they are working on that they will release it as a single like "Invisible" or just give it to some big upcoming move.

When all is said and done, my prediction would have been right again.  Hope you all enjoyed the ride and the read.

Cheers,

J

Behind the Barricade

« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2016, 02:17:18 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
No tour means no new album is imminent.

SoI was released a few months before the tour dates were announced and tickets went on sale.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2016, 08:36:36 AM »
Any news/rumors about a dvd for the SOI tour?

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2016, 02:43:45 PM »
Any news/rumors about a dvd for the SOI tour?

seriously doubt there will be a DVD.  The cost of production and distribution makes it a specious business case given that the show was broadcast on HBO and there is that little thing called YouTube....

Behind the Barricade

« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2016, 03:07:35 PM »
There will definitely be a DVD of this tour, whether it is the Paris show or another show remains to be seen.  U2 always release at least one official document of each tour.

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2016, 06:17:24 PM »
All the predictions are reasonable. I would just say the very fact that the band are posting things to socials suggests they are atleast trying to keep fans tagged along. They don't do anything like that when they are in active. So I think that give a small hope...

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2016, 06:36:06 AM »
Well, I REALLY hope they finish this tour soon, but I also really need a new dvd to work out to!
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for both...soon.

Offline Chip

• Numb
  • "Hey, I've been waiting to get home a long time"
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2016, 05:29:20 AM »
As they replace the songs they had at the time SOI was released with new ones, I suspect SOE mutates and will probably evolve into a new album (as will the delay for when it will be released)

My thoughts exactly.  That's why my money is on no album out this year and that mutation will bring forth an album that is not Songs of Experience.

Another "promise" which I think U2 will not keep is that the new album will be released in a new music format they are co-developing with Apple that makes it harder to pirate and gives the artist some sort of benchmark how many times the song was played.  I think that was all hot air they were blowing.

Cheers,

J

I wish otherwise, but I think you're right. I'm skeptical of seeing any new album before 2017 now. When an album doesn't do as well as they hoped, U2 normally end up ditching any previously planned followup.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 05:32:33 AM by Chip »

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2017, 09:32:42 PM »
Sorry to revive and old thread, but I said I will revisit it at the end of the year.

So 2016 is over and we never got "Songs of Experience."

It looks like 2017 will be a Joshua Tree Tribute tour with a new Joshua Tree reworked single.

Still no sign of Songs of Experience.

My handle is "J" as in junior ....Nostradamus Junior. ;)

Cheers,

J

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2017, 09:38:48 PM »
Sorry to revive and old thread, but I said I will revisit it at the end of the year.

It looks like 2017 will be a Joshua Tree Tribute tour with a new Joshua Tree reworked single.

Cheers,

J

Except for the part where they publicly declared, in a video seen by millions, that SoE WILL be released in 2017.

So either they're about to make huge fools of themselves, or they'll deliver on that promise.

And the idea of a reworked single from a 30 year old album is incredibly lame. Even if it's from an album that many love.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2017, 10:01:34 PM »

Cheers,

J

Except for the part where they publicly declared, in a video seen by millions, that SoE WILL be released in 2017.

So either they're about to make huge fools of themselves, or they'll deliver on that promise.

And the idea of a reworked single from a 30 year old album is incredibly lame. Even if it's from an album that many love.

i mean i REALLY hope they don't remix a JT song and release it as a single but they DID rerelease EBTTRT remixed during 360.

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2017, 10:25:12 PM »

Cheers,

J

C'mon, do you really think that that means anything? This is U2 we're talking about here.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2017, 08:21:25 AM »
[quote ]

All that I can say is that the entire calendar year of 2016 will be done and there won't be any "Songs of Experience" and chances are there won't even be the slightest hint of new material - unless U2 believe so much in one of the songs they are working on that they will release it as a single like "Invisible" or just give it to some big upcoming move.

When all is said and done, my prediction would have been right again.  Hope you all enjoyed the ride and the read.

Cheers,

J
[/quote]

Nice to see myself proven right again, as usual.

In this thread, some accused me of being overly negative but on the contrary i was positive having predicted U2 would tour. They never did.

Maybe time to start a 2017 album prediction thread?

Cheers,

J

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2017, 10:08:23 AM »

Cheers,

J

i mean i REALLY hope they don't remix a JT song and release it as a single but they DID rerelease EBTTRT remixed during 360.

Much as I love AB, I did not care for that remix either.

Cheers,

J

C'mon, do you really think that that means anything? This is U2 we're talking about here.

Have they ever announced an album's release so publicly before and not delivered? I find it hard to believe that they'd embarrass themselves by not following up. It's way different than being interviewed and saying "yeah, I guess it'll be released by the end of the year."