Author Topic: Worst U2 song?  (Read 8692 times)

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
Re: Worst U2 song?
« Reply #120 on: February 10, 2016, 04:44:12 AM »
I cannot believe how many good songs have been mentioned on this thread. "Wild Honey", "Some Days Are Better Than Others" and "Trip Through Your Wires" are all great songs even though neither of them is typical for U2.

I'm not that fond of "Are You Gonna Wait Forever" and the Wide Awake in Europe version of "Mercy". But then, their worst song may or may not have got anything to do with Elvis.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #121 on: February 11, 2016, 04:18:27 PM »
You guys are completely off the mark here, referencing mediocre songs that are also not really offensive. There are WAY worse U2 songs than Wild honey, hands that built america and Are you gonna wait forever.

Here's a top ten for me, and yes, I am taking a few liberties with my definition of a "u2 song":

1. Elvis Ate America - How did this total POS make its way onto an otherwise excellent Passengers OST1 record?
2. Bono's cover of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" - He apologized to Leonard cohen for it!!
3. Drunk Chicken/America - It's comedy, and if you like comedy, it's perfect. However, it's not very good musically. In fact, it's crap - but I think that was the point. I assume alcohol or other indulgence was involved.
4. 4th of July - How did this weak studio doodle make its way onto the greatest of all U2 records, when the Unforgettable Fire had so many amazing outtakes. From Yoshino Blossom to 60 seconds in kingdom come, bass trap, love comes tumbling, disappearing act, three sunrises, not to mention the excellent stuff that eventually found its way onto the Captive soundtrack, there were plenty of other options! Good job 'Bad' came along and redeemed the second half of hte album!
5. Stand Up Comedy. Hilarious. Unlike Drunk chicken, this was not meant to be funny. Winter, Soon, Mercy, there were plenty of alternatives to flesh out the NLOTH record.
6. Street Mission. In a U2 era that produced out of control, 11 o clock tick tock and I will follow, they instead used this waste of (a lot of ) energy for their very first TV appearance. Embarrassing!
7. Jerusalem - This is an excellent song, and Bono totally butchered it at Glastonbury!
8. Discotheque. How this godawful song was such a huge worldwide hit, I will never know. It didn't stand the test of time, but for some inexplicable reason, in 1997, the world just couldn't get enough of that lovin' dovin' stuff....
9. Get on your boots. Satan loves a bomb scare but he won't scare you? WTF????
10. As if the previous set of woofers wasn't enough, 'Haiti Mon Amour", the collaboration with Rihanna, was .... well, more like 'Haiti, Je suis la merde.'

Spacejunk69

« Reply #122 on: February 11, 2016, 06:05:59 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You guys are completely off the mark here, referencing mediocre songs that are also not really offensive. There are WAY worse U2 songs than Wild honey, hands that built america and Are you gonna wait forever.

Here's a top ten for me, and yes, I am taking a few liberties with my definition of a "u2 song":

1. Elvis Ate America - How did this total POS make its way onto an otherwise excellent Passengers OST1 record?
2. Bono's cover of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" - He apologized to Leonard cohen for it!!
3. Drunk Chicken/America - It's comedy, and if you like comedy, it's perfect. However, it's not very good musically. In fact, it's crap - but I think that was the point. I assume alcohol or other indulgence was involved.
4. 4th of July - How did this weak studio doodle make its way onto the greatest of all U2 records, when the Unforgettable Fire had so many amazing outtakes. From Yoshino Blossom to 60 seconds in kingdom come, bass trap, love comes tumbling, disappearing act, three sunrises, not to mention the excellent stuff that eventually found its way onto the Captive soundtrack, there were plenty of other options! Good job 'Bad' came along and redeemed the second half of hte album!
5. Stand Up Comedy. Hilarious. Unlike Drunk chicken, this was not meant to be funny. Winter, Soon, Mercy, there were plenty of alternatives to flesh out the NLOTH record.
6. Street Mission. In a U2 era that produced out of control, 11 o clock tick tock and I will follow, they instead used this waste of (a lot of ) energy for their very first TV appearance. Embarrassing!
7. Jerusalem - This is an excellent song, and Bono totally butchered it at Glastonbury!
8. Discotheque. How this godawful song was such a huge worldwide hit, I will never know. It didn't stand the test of time, but for some inexplicable reason, in 1997, the world just couldn't get enough of that lovin' dovin' stuff....
10. As if the previous set of woofers wasn't enough, 'Haiti Mon Amour", the collaboration with Rihanna, was .... well, more like 'Haiti, Je suis la merde.'

Correct me if I'm wrong, but its all a matter of personal opinion and taste. You call everyone else out over their choices, and then list your own. Go figure.

I happen to hate WOWY, COBL, Elevation but LOVE Elvis Presley & America, Miami and Shadows And Tall Trees - and Im sticking with my opinions.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #123 on: February 11, 2016, 06:34:01 PM »

love this list.  totally agree Elvis Ate America is one of the worst sonic crimes of any band, ever.

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #124 on: February 11, 2016, 07:34:48 PM »

Agree for the most part, but I find 4th of July to be a very beautiful instrumental song. Love Discotheque as well!

Offline Kite32

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #125 on: February 12, 2016, 01:57:19 AM »

I agree with everything here apart from 4th July - it's just a segue really and works well as a kind of mysterious Celtic soundscape. Plus it was used as the intro music on the TUF tour. I like it a lot.
Apart from that I'd add U2's horrific covers of dancing barefoot and everlasting love. And that nonsense they did with green day. Apart from trying to stay 'relevant' by hanging around with people younger than them what were they thinking? Truly appalling...

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #126 on: February 12, 2016, 10:43:12 AM »
Don't think anything from Passengers can technically count.

Spacejunk69

« Reply #127 on: February 12, 2016, 11:29:00 AM »

Why? Its a U2 album.

Offline rubbersoul

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #128 on: February 12, 2016, 11:39:24 AM »
Boots
Yahweh
Numb

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
« Reply #129 on: February 12, 2016, 11:59:43 AM »

Why? Its a U2 album.
But that's the point; it isn't.  Its a Eno/U2 collaboration (cough No Line On The Horizon cough).  There's a reason its not released as a U2 record.

Spacejunk69

« Reply #130 on: February 12, 2016, 12:50:56 PM »

Why? Its a U2 album.
But that's the point; it isn't.  Its a Eno/U2 collaboration (cough No Line On The Horizon cough).  There's a reason its not released as a U2 record.

Its a U2 album.

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
« Reply #131 on: February 12, 2016, 01:41:06 PM »

Why? Its a U2 album.

Its a U2 album.
We could go on forever this way, but its not.  Neither is the Spider Man broadway soundtrack.  The fact that the band has since used tracks from Passengers on greatest hits and b-sides is confusing, but it just isn't a U2 record.  It was released under a different name and they swept the whole release under the rug because they didn't want people confusing it as a new U2 record.  Its a side project and should be mentioned as a footnote, not as canon.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 01:46:11 PM by ShankAsu »

Spacejunk69

« Reply #132 on: February 12, 2016, 02:34:02 PM »

Why? Its a U2 album.

Its a U2 album.
We could go on forever this way, but its not.  Neither is the Spider Man broadway soundtrack.  The fact that the band has since used tracks from Passengers on greatest hits and b-sides is confusing, but it just isn't a U2 record.  It was released under a different name and they swept the whole release under the rug because they didn't want people confusing it as a new U2 record.  Its a side project and should be mentioned as a footnote, not as canon.

I disagree with you obviously. So, Your Blue Room, Slug, Always And Forever Now and Miss Sarajevo are not U2 songs eh? Funny that.

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
« Reply #133 on: February 12, 2016, 02:42:39 PM »
just because those are good songs doesn't make them U2 songs.

Why? Its a U2 album.

Its a U2 album.

I disagree with you obviously. So, Your Blue Room, Slug, Always And Forever Now and Miss Sarajevo are not U2 songs eh? Funny that.
Just because they are good doesn't make them U2 tracks.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 04:50:04 PM by ShankAsu »

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #134 on: February 12, 2016, 02:45:46 PM »
gotta agree with SpaceJunk.  It may not be an 'official' U2 release but it certainly counts as one of their albums, since all band members contributed in a major way.