Author Topic: Worst U2 song?  (Read 8747 times)

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
Re: Worst U2 song?
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2016, 12:34:01 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The Sweetest Thing. Not a bad tune on the face of it but this song is evil. If it wasn't for the good press the band got for "returning to the classic U2 sound" with this song then I believe I wouldn't still be saying that POP is their last great album.
This song stopped U2s creative trajectory dead in its tracks and deserves to have every copy burned as a result. I would even fund a King Herod stylee search for the last copy just to get even!
 ;)

So, do you really, really think it was that song that made them change, or perhaps the pain in the rear that it was to make Pop, the critical and commercial negativity that went with it, and then the slog that Popmart ended up being for them? You're right, it was probably the song rather than three or four years of a rough time professionally and artistically that did it. (This is not a criticism of Pop or Popmart, but an acknowledgement of how much trouble they had with the album and the tour.)

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2016, 12:37:00 PM »
The two songs I will always skip are With A Shout and Love Rescue Me. Stand Up Comedy is getting close.

Offline Jswallow

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2016, 12:41:43 PM »
The two songs I will always skip are With A Shout and Love Rescue Me. Stand Up Comedy is getting close.
I must be in the minority here because i really like all 3 of those songs

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2016, 12:59:24 PM »
The Sweetest Thing. Not a bad tune on the face of it but this song is evil. If it wasn't for the good press the band got for "returning to the classic U2 sound" with this song then I believe I wouldn't still be saying that POP is their last great album.
This song stopped U2s creative trajectory dead in its tracks and deserves to have every copy burned as a result. I would even fund a King Herod stylee search for the last copy just to get even!
 ;)

So, do you really, really think it was that song that made them change, or perhaps the pain in the rear that it was to make Pop, the critical and commercial negativity that went with it, and then the slog that Popmart ended up being for them? You're right, it was probably the song rather than three or four years of a rough time professionally and artistically that did it. (This is not a criticism of Pop or Popmart, but an acknowledgement of how much trouble they had with the album and the tour.)

I fully agree that a lot of time and effort went into Pop and not what followed.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2016, 02:00:45 PM »
 ;)

I fully agree that a lot of time and effort went into Pop and not what followed.

Where did I say that they didn't put time and effort into what followed? Thing is, they could put all the time and effort into Pop that they wanted, but if they didn't like what became of it, they would feel much more unhappy about being a band. Obviously they weren't at breaking point, but they obviously also weren't happy with where U2 was at. So, in that sense, the time and effort mean nothing. It's the final product that counts.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2016, 02:30:16 PM »
 ;)

Where did I say that they didn't put time and effort into what followed? Thing is, they could put all the time and effort into Pop that they wanted, but if they didn't like what became of it, they would feel much more unhappy about being a band. Obviously they weren't at breaking point, but they obviously also weren't happy with where U2 was at. So, in that sense, the time and effort mean nothing. It's the final product that counts.

Well, the reason they didn't like Pop and Popmart was because it wasn't wildly popular, especially in the U.S. In other words, they decided that Pop was bad well after the fact. If it had resonated more with audiences they would not have backed away from their early support of it.

This, among other reasons, is why so many of us think the band lost their artistic integrity around this time. FFS, if the music is good the day you release it, it's still good a year later even if it didn't win any awards of earn a bunch of money.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 02:36:07 PM by The Exile »

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2016, 02:43:16 PM »
 ;)

You're 100% correct to assume the band were not at breaking point! they were enjoying the most creative spell of their careers.
If the barren spell of the last 15 years has told us anything, it's that U2 won't put out a record if they are not happy with it. 

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2016, 02:59:50 PM »
 ;)

Well, the reason they didn't like Pop and Popmart was because it wasn't wildly popular, especially in the U.S. In other words, they decided that Pop was bad well after the fact. If it had resonated more with audiences they would not have backed away from their early support of it.

This, among other reasons, is why so many of us think the band lost their artistic integrity around this time. FFS, if the music is good the day you release it, it's still good a year later even if it didn't win any awards of earn a bunch of money.

That rings true with so many bands.

Blur - Think Tank
REM - New Adventures in Hifi
James - Wah Wah
Radiohead - Kid A

Just some of the artists that released the shackles and produced some of their best, most creative music since their debut.
The intention of these albums was to expand the bands creative mind rather than sales figures. Pop is in this bracket for me.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2016, 03:49:26 PM »
 ;)

That rings true with so many bands.

Blur - Think Tank
REM - New Adventures in Hifi
James - Wah Wah
Radiohead - Kid A

Just some of the artists that released the shackles and produced some of their best, most creative music since their debut.
The intention of these albums was to expand the bands creative mind rather than sales figures. Pop is in this bracket for me.

But how many of these bands abandoned these albums like a red-headed stepchild the moment they didn't gain universal accolades?

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2016, 04:23:10 PM »
 ;)

You're 100% correct to assume the band were not at breaking point! they were enjoying the most creative spell of their careers.
If the barren spell of the last 15 years has told us anything, it's that U2 won't put out a record if they are not happy with it.

well we should probably qualify that.  Larry wasn't happy with either Pop or NLOTH based on the comments he has made.

so perhaps you could say Bono and Edge won't put out a record if they aren't happy with it.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2016, 04:36:27 PM »
 ;)

well we should probably qualify that.  Larry wasn't happy with either Pop or NLOTH based on the comments he has made.

so perhaps you could say Bono and Edge won't put out a record if they aren't happy with it.

I think it would take up less space to list the albums that Larry is happy with.  ;)

Behind the Barricade

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2016, 11:26:22 PM »
The Sweetest Thing. Not a bad tune on the face of it but this song is evil. If it wasn't for the good press the band got for "returning to the classic U2 sound" with this song

No the press got it all wrong, they actually returned to the classic U2 sound on Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of.

I had been a U2 fan since 83 and in no way did the moribund plodding Stuck remind me of "classic" U2

I was joking.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2016, 11:53:02 PM »
 ;)

But it's obvious they didn't think it was as good as it could have been, or they wouldn't have been mixing it until the day it was delivered to the label, and remixing it for the singles well after its release. I love Pop, it's one of my favorite U2 albums, but they obviously disagreed and still disagree. It's ok for them to make mistakes, and make mistakes that we can still love and find massive artistic value in. That doesn't mean that they should have stuck with it if they felt it took them too far in a direction. As artists, they don't owe any of us anything, especially continuing to plow on in a direction that no longer gave them inspiration at the time.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 12:00:32 AM by ian ryan »

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2016, 11:58:02 PM »
 ;)

I would agree that the '90s was their most creative, imaginative phase, but to call the past 15 years barren is to utterly disregard how much better they are as musicians and pure songwriters now, and how amazing they've been live. The past four tours have been amazing, and the I+E tour resonated with me longer than any other tour I've seen from them. Just because they shifted focus and started working on something else, something that doesn't talk to you or that you don't feel, doesn't mean what they've done is barren. What they're doing now is just as interesting as what they were doing then, but in a different way.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2016, 12:01:28 AM »
 ;)

Bono's always too happy with the album before it comes out, and Larry is always conveniently unhappy with the album after it has come out, been knocked around, and the dust has settled.