Author Topic: Worst U2 song?  (Read 8753 times)

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
Re: Worst U2 song?
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2016, 09:05:09 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
There are a lot of songs I don't love, lots of the ones listed already, but the only U2 song I actually hate is The Hands That Built America. Am I the only one??

Well, the song goes on and on and on, far too long, but it does reference the 9/11 attack in America, and being a loyal, patriotic American, I like the song just for that reason. It is kinda slow and um, I hate to say boring, but it still has some beauty to it, I suppose.

Offline Kite32

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2016, 03:17:39 PM »
There are a lot of songs I don't love, lots of the ones listed already, but the only U2 song I actually hate is The Hands That Built America. Am I the only one??

Well, the song goes on and on and on, far too long, but it does reference the 9/11 attack in America, and being a loyal, patriotic American, I like the song just for that reason. It is kinda slow and um, I hate to say boring, but it still has some beauty to it, I suppose.

It doesn't reference 9/11 at all. The song was written for the film 'Gangs of new York'. The film itself is terrible but the song for me is one of U2's better one's post POP...

Offline missey

• Child of Grace
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2016, 05:01:19 PM »

It doesn't reference 9/11 at all. The song was written for the film 'Gangs of new York'. The film itself is terrible but the song for me is one of U2's better one's post POP...

It does indeed reference 9/11.  One of the reasons I like it too are these lyrics:

It's early fall, there's a cloud on the New York skyline
 Innocence dragged across a yellow line

Behind the Barricade

« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2016, 09:55:17 PM »
The Sweetest Thing. Not a bad tune on the face of it but this song is evil. If it wasn't for the good press the band got for "returning to the classic U2 sound" with this song then I believe I wouldn't still be saying that POP is their last great album.
This song stopped U2s creative trajectory dead in its tracks and deserves to have every copy burned as a result. I would even fund a King Herod stylee search for the last copy just to get even!
 ;)

So, do you really, really think it was that song that made them change, or perhaps the pain in the rear that it was to make Pop, the critical and commercial negativity that went with it, and then the slog that Popmart ended up being for them? You're right, it was probably the song rather than three or four years of a rough time professionally and artistically that did it. (This is not a criticism of Pop or Popmart, but an acknowledgement of how much trouble they had with the album and the tour.)

I fully agree that a lot of time and effort went into Pop and not what followed.

Where did I say that they didn't put time and effort into what followed? Thing is, they could put all the time and effort into Pop that they wanted, but if they didn't like what became of it, they would feel much more unhappy about being a band. Obviously they weren't at breaking point, but they obviously also weren't happy with where U2 was at. So, in that sense, the time and effort mean nothing. It's the final product that counts.

Well, the reason they didn't like Pop and Popmart was because it wasn't wildly popular, especially in the U.S. In other words, they decided that Pop was bad well after the fact. If it had resonated more with audiences they would not have backed away from their early support of it.

This, among other reasons, is why so many of us think the band lost their artistic integrity around this time. FFS, if the music is good the day you release it, it's still good a year later even if it didn't win any awards of earn a bunch of money.

U2 have a gift for reinvention.  They did it in 1990 and then did it again in 2000.  Once in the limelight you must constantly renew it by adapting and varying your method of courting attention. If you don't, the public will grow tired, will take you for granted, and will move on to a newer star. The game requires constant vigilance and creativity.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2016, 12:58:44 AM »
Not sure why people always label Popmart a slog or a failure.

The tour was a massive success and the band were on fire (once it left the US) and I seem to recall that the 2nd US leg went over OK.

The European, South American and Asian shows went down a storm.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 01:01:51 AM by an tha »

Behind the Barricade

« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2016, 01:03:51 AM »

The tour was a massive success and the band were on fire (once it left the US)

There were poor ticket sales (for a stadium show) in many US cities, Germany, South Africa and Australia, but the rest of the shows did well.  Artistically speaking it was, and still is, probably their best stage design to date.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2016, 06:34:27 AM »

It does indeed reference 9/11.  One of the reasons I like it too are these lyrics:

Thank you!

Offline missey

• Child of Grace
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2016, 04:52:52 PM »

Thank you!

You're welcome! ;)

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2016, 05:29:19 PM »

The tour was a massive success and the band were on fire (once it left the US) and I seem to recall that the 2nd US leg went over OK.

well there is a reason the band abandoned the schtick that was Popmart. 

Giant lemons, boxer robes, gas masks, gay cowboy outfits.  Ironically this was U2 trying desperately to be cool, even more so than in present times... although fans of that tour don't ever acknowledge that.   

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2016, 05:37:24 PM »

The tour was a massive success and the band were on fire (once it left the US)

There were poor ticket sales (for a stadium show) in many US cities, Germany, South Africa and Australia, but the rest of the shows did well.  Artistically speaking it was, and still is, probably their best stage design to date.

I+E = their best stage design.  Followed by Elevation.  Then Zoo, Vertigo and perhaps then Farcemart. 

LightMyWay92

« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2016, 05:44:31 PM »

Giant lemons, boxer robes, gas masks, gay cowboy outfits.  Ironically this was U2 trying desperately to be cool, even more so than in present times... although fans of that tour don't ever acknowledge that.   
I can't believe that they ever did all of that!  It falls into the "what were they thinking" category.  It almost made me physically ill to see the band I first discovered from the Red Rocks 1983 concert presenting themselves like that! I can't help but associate the Pop album with that whole presentation, which is too bad because I like a lot of those songs if not the sound of the album.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 05:46:07 PM by LightMyWay92 »

Offline Doc_Holiday

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2016, 07:10:29 PM »

The boxer robes, gay cowboy, gas masks thing was less bizarre than when they dressed like freaking hillibillies for The joshua tree and Rattle and hum.
They looked funky and cool and it was in tune with the spirit of the record, unlike hillibilly bono and edge taking themselves extremely seriously. If they should be ashamed of their dressing habits during any moment of their touring career, it's the 87-89 era for sure

LightMyWay92

« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2016, 07:32:01 PM »

The boxer robes, gay cowboy, gas masks thing was less bizarre than when they dressed like freaking hillibillies for The joshua tree and Rattle and hum.
They looked funky and cool and it was in tune with the spirit of the record, unlike hillibilly bono and edge taking themselves extremely seriously. If they should be ashamed of their dressing habits during any moment of their touring career, it's the 87-89 era for sure
Actually I was just watching live videos from Paris in '87.  They were dressed more Western/cowboy than hillbilly.  They were unbelievably great on that tour.  I think the first time I saw the Popmart costumes was early in the tour when Rolling Stone did a story on it.  I saw the picture of Bono in that god-awful muscle shirt and just felt sick wondering what had happened to U2.

Offline PopMart

• Babyface
  • You're the reason why the passion is in me
« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2016, 09:37:54 PM »

I can't believe that they ever did all of that!  It falls into the "what were they thinking" category.  It almost made me physically ill to see the band I first discovered from the Red Rocks 1983 concert presenting themselves like that! I can't help but associate the Pop album with that whole presentation, which is too bad because I like a lot of those songs if not the sound of the album.

As a HUGE advocate of PopMart and a huge fan of that mid-90's era, I have to bring up... It was all an irony. Achtung Baby heralded the Fly who made fun of huge rockstars, he turned the band more to the satirical commentary on modern culture. And what is PopMart but an enormous statement! Pop, the album, is full of references to the insanity and ridculousness of pop culture. Discotheque was a dance song, made to satirize dance songs. And what do you know? It hit number one. One look at the lyrics of The Playboy Mansion and then it all makes sense. They never believed what they were saying and purporting themselves to be, but it sure as hell didn't stop them from turning the entire charade into one massive concert that summarized it all.

Summary: U2 in the 90's were making fun of the exaggerated idea of pop culture and music and made fun of it till Beautiful Day happened.

Offline PopMart

• Babyface
  • You're the reason why the passion is in me
« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2016, 09:59:33 PM »
Back on topic though.

In my opinion? It has to be said that October might be the most upsetting mark on U2's history. Maybe not the biggest or most noticeable, but it's been there since 1981 and it's going nowhere. The only songs I actually remember are "Gloria" and "I Threw a Brick through a Window"

You can count most of their covers from Rattle and Hum as well. Or... I'm going to get slandered... The second half of the Joshua Tree.