Author Topic: Worst U2 song?  (Read 8674 times)

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
Re: Worst U2 song?
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2016, 02:44:49 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I respect the recent opinions on the I+E stage design being poor, but I still strongly disagree and you must know you are in the excruciatingly small minority with that opinion.  The stage, which formed the structural foundation for the visually stunning screen, broke new ground.  Connecting with more of the audience, making the 'front rail' less of a 'must have' location, allowing floor ticket holders to move around... all these things made possible and never done before in this exact way.  Combined with the lights down the aisle, the screen above, the overhead sound system... sorry but to say Popmart was better is absurd. 

The weakest aspects of the I+E stage were really not faults with the stage itself but with the screen blocking some upper level views and the fact that many seats should not have been sold in the back.  Not stage issues per se, those were management decisions.  Also, the e-stage should have been used more creatively but again, not a stage issue in and of itself.

Sorry but how does a catwalk into the audience break new ground? Bands have been doing it for years. Equally big screens wether they're at the back of a stage or parallel to a catwalk are nothing new. What's projected onto them is the important thing and anyone with a passing interest in art or popular culture would know the POPMART visuals were way more visually articulate than I and e.

Granted no one has done anything like I and e in the EXACT same way before but plenty have done variations on the theme. The only aspect I would say was vaguely interesting was the ability for the band to stand inside the screen. But that just came across as a bit daft. Especially during invisible. I mean why, conceptually would you stand inside a video screen?
So in summary nothing new to see on I and E. POPMART on the other hand looked like nothing anyone had done before or has done since.

with respect I think you're missing my points.  I understand yours and that's cool - you like Popmart better.  nothing wrong with that, or unusual at least in these forums.  But honestly, if you are really asking why the band stepped inside the video screen then the concept was lost on you I think. 

as to the rest its all opinion of course.  I suspect if you scanned the media reviews for both tours you'd find my observations strongly supported.  alas, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2016, 02:48:12 PM »
I respect the recent opinions on the I+E stage design being poor, but I still strongly disagree and you must know you are in the excruciatingly small minority with that opinion.  The stage, which formed the structural foundation for the visually stunning screen, broke new ground.  Connecting with more of the audience, making the 'front rail' less of a 'must have' location, allowing floor ticket holders to move around... all these things made possible and never done before in this exact way.  Combined with the lights down the aisle, the screen above, the overhead sound system... sorry but to say Popmart was better is absurd. 

The weakest aspects of the I+E stage were really not faults with the stage itself but with the screen blocking some upper level views and the fact that many seats should not have been sold in the back.  Not stage issues per se, those were management decisions.  Also, the e-stage should have been used more creatively but again, not a stage issue in and of itself.

Ditch the dumb props and choreography and just play the damn music. Willie needs to be reined in. Keep it simple stupid.

I agree.  But I wonder - can the band actually get on stage and just play?  I am not so sure.  I saw AC/DC the other night and musically, they blew U2 away.  Those guys are in their 60s and they made U2 look like an off broadway production, musically speaking.  Not saying I like their music better, but they delivered a performance U2 could not dream of.

as for Willie, remember he is just doing what his clients pay him to do.

iehomecoming

« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2016, 03:55:35 PM »
Of course they can just keep it simple and get up there and play. The elevation tour was relatively minimalistic and imo more successful. They just need to rehearse more than they usually do. As for Willie, the client gets final say but I get the feeling they just go along with whatever he comes up with.

Offline Mr. Red

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2016, 04:12:42 PM »

Ditch the dumb props and choreography and just play the damn music. Willie needs to be reined in. Keep it simple stupid.

I agree.  But I wonder - can the band actually get on stage and just play?  I am not so sure.  I saw AC/DC the other night and musically, they blew U2 away.  Those guys are in their 60s and they made U2 look like an off broadway production, musically speaking.  Not saying I like their music better, but they delivered a performance U2 could not dream of.

as for Willie, remember he is just doing what his clients pay him to do.

A believe a huge part of this is simply that injury or not, Bono does not keep himself in shape at all. He was lethargic and when he did move around, it was awkward. That coupled with his voice being mediocre was a recipe for average gigs. Look at a guy like Vedder who is close to Bono's age and that dude brings it every night. Just full of energy and emotion. It's a huge part of how the crowd responds! NoT comparing the the type of music but, PJ shows musically and otherwise rip U2 a new ar*e. And they do it with zero bells and whistles! Bruce of course is also on another planet with regards to his energy and taking care of himself. Bono reminded me on this tour of Adam Duritz (counting crows) when he was abusing booze, was grossly over weight and was a slug on stage!! You are paid to perform, step to the plate! The ACDC example is perfect!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 04:16:50 PM by Mr. Red »

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2016, 04:28:01 PM »
pretty sure Vedder is at least a decade younger than Bono.

Offline Mr. Red

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #95 on: February 04, 2016, 04:30:19 PM »

Bono 55....Vedder 51

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
« Reply #96 on: February 04, 2016, 04:41:43 PM »

Bono 55....Vedder 51

Yep.  And to me the other difference is that for guys like Bruce, Eddie, Brian Johnson, Dave Grohl, etc - music is their #1 priority.  Bono treats it like a sideshow to the Nobel quest.  Now I am really digressing... oops....

Offline Kite32

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #97 on: February 04, 2016, 05:35:38 PM »

Sorry but how does a catwalk into the audience break new ground? Bands have been doing it for years. Equally big screens wether they're at the back of a stage or parallel to a catwalk are nothing new. What's projected onto them is the important thing and anyone with a passing interest in art or popular culture would know the POPMART visuals were way more visually articulate than I and e.

Granted no one has done anything like I and e in the EXACT same way before but plenty have done variations on the theme. The only aspect I would say was vaguely interesting was the ability for the band to stand inside the screen. But that just came across as a bit daft. Especially during invisible. I mean why, conceptually would you stand inside a video screen?
So in summary nothing new to see on I and E. POPMART on the other hand looked like nothing anyone had done before or has done since.

with respect I think you're missing my points.  I understand yours and that's cool - you like Popmart better.  nothing wrong with that, or unusual at least in these forums.  But honestly, if you are really asking why the band stepped inside the video screen then the concept was lost on you I think. 

as to the rest its all opinion of course.  I suspect if you scanned the media reviews for both tours you'd find my observations strongly supported.  alas, we'll have to agree to disagree.

I can imagine the conversation in the U2 camp :

Bono - we need to come up with a concept about our song 'invisisble' - I suggest we step inside our big video screen and have the graphics on the screen slowly reveal the band so we become the opposite of invisible which is... Edge?

Edge - oh er... visible!!!

Bono - what about you Clayton, what do you think?

Clayton - well Bono I agree with Edge - it's a radical concept and I don't fully understand it but let's do it!

Bono - Larry, how about you?

Larry - I agree with Adam. The concept is too complicated for me but if you and Edge think it's clever then who are we to argue.

Offline Doc_Holiday

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2016, 06:03:19 PM »
A believe a huge part of this is simply that injury or not, Bono does not keep himself in shape at all.
I've been saying this, I completely agree.

Behind the Barricade

« Reply #99 on: February 04, 2016, 06:22:22 PM »

Bono - we need to come up with a concept about our song 'invisisble' - I suggest we step inside our big video screen and have the graphics on the screen slowly reveal the band so we become the opposite of invisible which is... Edge?

Clayton - well Bono I agree with Edge - it's a radical concept and I don't fully understand it but let's do it!

Larry - I agree with Adam. The concept is too complicated for me but if you and Edge think it's clever then who are we to argue.

Somehow the register of that dialogue doesn't ring true.  Bono probably wouldn't ask Adam and Larry's opinion on the matter and Larry's observation would probably be limited to one word, "Jaysus!"

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2016, 07:33:34 PM »

Somehow the register of that dialogue doesn't ring true.  Bono probably wouldn't ask Adam and Larry's opinion on the matter and Larry's observation would probably be limited to one word, "Jaysus!"

8) I think Larry is still confused by the fact that he was replaced with electronic drums on that song... 'seriously guys what'ya do that for???'

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2016, 09:37:12 PM »

Bono 55....Vedder 51
Wow, never would have guessed that, dude must have been older when they started out. Either way, it's Pearl Jam so I can't imagine their shows being THAT good  :)

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2016, 11:54:28 PM »

8) I think Larry is still confused by the fact that he was replaced with electronic drums on that song... 'seriously guys what'ya do that for???'

I have a hunch it wasn't Bono who came up with these ideas. ;)

Offline Mr. Red

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #103 on: February 05, 2016, 06:06:14 AM »

Bono 55....Vedder 51
Wow, never would have guessed that, dude must have been older when they started out. Either way, it's Pearl Jam so I can't imagine their shows being THAT good  :)

Ha!! Try one on for size.....you might love it!! And just on a little side note. Pearl jam going on tour soon. The entire arena is around $80. None of the BS tiered pricing for exorbitant amounts on money. Now that's a band that keeps it real for fans!! but, I digress.

Offline Mr. Red

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #104 on: February 05, 2016, 06:09:09 AM »

Bono 55....Vedder 51

Yep.  And to me the other difference is that for guys like Bruce, Eddie, Brian Johnson, Dave Grohl, etc - music is their #1 priority.  Bono treats it like a sideshow to the Nobel quest.  Now I am really digressing... oops....

Absolute truth! Hence, the lack of production and mediocre quality (at best sometimes) for the past 16 years.