Author Topic: Worst U2 song?  (Read 8673 times)

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
Re: Worst U2 song?
« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2016, 11:16:29 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The boxer robes, gay cowboy, gas masks thing was less bizarre than when they dressed like freaking hillibillies for The joshua tree and Rattle and hum.
They looked funky and cool and it was in tune with the spirit of the record, unlike hillibilly bono and edge taking themselves extremely seriously. If they should be ashamed of their dressing habits during any moment of their touring career, it's the 87-89 era for sure

The bohemian Irish hillbilly look was the fashion in the late 1980s. ;)

And it led to grunge... did anyone in U2 ever wear corduroy and baseball tees?

Behind the Barricade

« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2016, 03:23:17 AM »
Not sure why people always label Popmart a slog or a failure.

The tour was a massive success and the band were on fire (once it left the US)

There were poor ticket sales (for a stadium show) in many US cities, Germany, South Africa and Australia, but the rest of the shows did well.  Artistically speaking it was, and still is, probably their best stage design to date.

I+E = their best stage design. 

A stage design that precluded about 10-20% of the audience from fully enjoying the experience is their best stage design?  Really?

LightMyWay92

« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2016, 04:43:06 AM »

There were poor ticket sales (for a stadium show) in many US cities, Germany, South Africa and Australia, but the rest of the shows did well.  Artistically speaking it was, and still is, probably their best stage design to date.

A stage design that precluded about 10-20% of the audience from fully enjoying the experience is their best stage design?  Really?
How much of a stage design does U2 really need anyway?  We're not talking about Pink Floyd here.  With U2 the whole point of the live performance is the songs and the emotional connection with the audience.  For me the best way to help that along was the "catwalk/heart" set ups they had on the Elevation and Vertigo Tour and the tours that followed.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2016, 05:02:58 AM »

The tour was a massive success and the band were on fire (once it left the US) and I seem to recall that the 2nd US leg went over OK.

The European, South American and Asian shows went down a storm.

well there is a reason the band abandoned the schtick that was Popmart. 

Giant lemons, boxer robes, gas masks, gay cowboy outfits.  Ironically this was U2 trying desperately to be cool, even more so than in present times... although fans of that tour don't ever acknowledge that.   

I never had you down as the sort that irony would be lost on....

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2016, 02:15:49 PM »

The tour was a massive success and the band were on fire (once it left the US) and I seem to recall that the 2nd US leg went over OK.

Giant lemons, boxer robes, gas masks, gay cowboy outfits.  Ironically this was U2 trying desperately to be cool, even more so than in present times... although fans of that tour don't ever acknowledge that.   

I never had you down as the sort that irony would be lost on....

Trust me, I get plenty of iron.  And magnesium too for that matter.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2016, 02:21:40 PM »

yes, really. 

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2016, 02:24:05 PM »

I can't believe that they ever did all of that!  It falls into the "what were they thinking" category.  It almost made me physically ill to see the band I first discovered from the Red Rocks 1983 concert presenting themselves like that! I can't help but associate the Pop album with that whole presentation, which is too bad because I like a lot of those songs if not the sound of the album.

As a HUGE advocate of PopMart and a huge fan of that mid-90's era, I have to bring up... It was all an irony. Achtung Baby heralded the Fly who made fun of huge rockstars, he turned the band more to the satirical commentary on modern culture. And what is PopMart but an enormous statement! Pop, the album, is full of references to the insanity and ridculousness of pop culture. Discotheque was a dance song, made to satirize dance songs. And what do you know? It hit number one. One look at the lyrics of The Playboy Mansion and then it all makes sense. They never believed what they were saying and purporting themselves to be, but it sure as hell didn't stop them from turning the entire charade into one massive concert that summarized it all.

Summary: U2 in the 90's were making fun of the exaggerated idea of pop culture and music and made fun of it till Beautiful Day happened.

yes we all understand the irony thing - U2 making fun of Pop culture, blah blah blah.  The issue, as with so many U2-related topics, was the execution.  Came off terribly and the band know it, which is why they have buried it.  Too bad as I like a lot of the Pop album.  But no tears to see the costumes and other theatrics left behind.

Offline Kite32

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2016, 03:19:47 PM »

I can't believe that they ever did all of that!  It falls into the "what were they thinking" category.  It almost made me physically ill to see the band I first discovered from the Red Rocks 1983 concert presenting themselves like that! I can't help but associate the Pop album with that whole presentation, which is too bad because I like a lot of those songs if not the sound of the album.

As a HUGE advocate of PopMart and a huge fan of that mid-90's era, I have to bring up... It was all an irony. Achtung Baby heralded the Fly who made fun of huge rockstars, he turned the band more to the satirical commentary on modern culture. And what is PopMart but an enormous statement! Pop, the album, is full of references to the insanity and ridculousness of pop culture. Discotheque was a dance song, made to satirize dance songs. And what do you know? It hit number one. One look at the lyrics of The Playboy Mansion and then it all makes sense. They never believed what they were saying and purporting themselves to be, but it sure as hell didn't stop them from turning the entire charade into one massive concert that summarized it all.

Summary: U2 in the 90's were making fun of the exaggerated idea of pop culture and music and made fun of it till Beautiful Day happened.

yes we all understand the irony thing - U2 making fun of Pop culture, blah blah blah.  The issue, as with so many U2-related topics, was the execution.  Came off terribly and the band know it, which is why they have buried it.  Too bad as I like a lot of the Pop album.  But no tears to see the costumes and other theatrics left behind.

It really didn't come off terribly - I'll take U2 aiming high but missing over the homogenised crap they've been making since then. The closest they came to it since was 360 - the differences being POPMART was supported by a great album. 360 wasn't. POPMART looked visually stunning. 360 looked ridiculous and not in a good way. Elevation, vertigo and I and E are all variations on the same boring theme of catwalks into the audience. It worked for elevation as it was new for them. Vertigo was essentially exactly the same thing but with a red oval instead of a heart. I and E simply straightened out the oval and made it yellow.

iehomecoming

« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2016, 04:51:58 PM »

The Stage Design was the weakest aspect of the I+E tour.

There hasn't been a decent Stage Design since Elevation, that was the last one not to obstruct views and was simple, effective yet imaginative.

Willie's time has long since passed.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2016, 06:22:42 PM »
I respect the recent opinions on the I+E stage design being poor, but I still strongly disagree and you must know you are in the excruciatingly small minority with that opinion.  The stage, which formed the structural foundation for the visually stunning screen, broke new ground.  Connecting with more of the audience, making the 'front rail' less of a 'must have' location, allowing floor ticket holders to move around... all these things made possible and never done before in this exact way.  Combined with the lights down the aisle, the screen above, the overhead sound system... sorry but to say Popmart was better is absurd. 

The weakest aspects of the I+E stage were really not faults with the stage itself but with the screen blocking some upper level views and the fact that many seats should not have been sold in the back.  Not stage issues per se, those were management decisions.  Also, the e-stage should have been used more creatively but again, not a stage issue in and of itself.

Offline lemonChiled

• Babyface
« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2016, 07:36:21 PM »
Stand up comedy is a rocking song but the lyrics could be a lot better.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2016, 10:05:42 PM »

It really didn't come off terribly - I'll take U2 aiming high but missing over the homogenised crap they've been making since then. The closest they came to it since was 360 - the differences being POPMART was supported by a great album. 360 wasn't. POPMART looked visually stunning. 360 looked ridiculous and not in a good way. Elevation, vertigo and I and E are all variations on the same boring theme of catwalks into the audience. It worked for elevation as it was new for them. Vertigo was essentially exactly the same thing but with a red oval instead of a heart. I and E simply straightened out the oval and made it yellow.

I'm all over this. I think some folk would rather see Bono still wearing a cowboy hat or waving a flag at the crowd at the expense of doing something that challanges their audience or, more importantly, themselves.
That the album or tour didn't do particularly well in the states is due to the fact it is a very European album.
You've got to remember that at the time dance music was huge on the continent (the Perfect Mix of EBTTRT was more popular than the original in the UK). Pop continued with the dance vibe and produced an absolute belter of an album and a fantastic visual accompaniment in Popmart.

There were signs of U2 going down this route even in the late eighties, you just have to look at the remixing that started to appear on the R&H B sides to see that U2 were curious about dance music way back.
Finally, surley everyone gets that Edge was taking the p155 out of himself with his costume.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 02:00:11 AM by Blueyedboy »

Offline Kite32

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2016, 01:52:14 AM »
I respect the recent opinions on the I+E stage design being poor, but I still strongly disagree and you must know you are in the excruciatingly small minority with that opinion.  The stage, which formed the structural foundation for the visually stunning screen, broke new ground.  Connecting with more of the audience, making the 'front rail' less of a 'must have' location, allowing floor ticket holders to move around... all these things made possible and never done before in this exact way.  Combined with the lights down the aisle, the screen above, the overhead sound system... sorry but to say Popmart was better is absurd. 

The weakest aspects of the I+E stage were really not faults with the stage itself but with the screen blocking some upper level views and the fact that many seats should not have been sold in the back.  Not stage issues per se, those were management decisions.  Also, the e-stage should have been used more creatively but again, not a stage issue in and of itself.

Sorry but how does a catwalk into the audience break new ground? Bands have been doing it for years. Equally big screens wether they're at the back of a stage or parallel to a catwalk are nothing new. What's projected onto them is the important thing and anyone with a passing interest in art or popular culture would know the POPMART visuals were way more visually articulate than I and e.

Granted no one has done anything like I and e in the EXACT same way before but plenty have done variations on the theme. The only aspect I would say was vaguely interesting was the ability for the band to stand inside the screen. But that just came across as a bit daft. Especially during invisible. I mean why, conceptually would you stand inside a video screen?
So in summary nothing new to see on I and E. POPMART on the other hand looked like nothing anyone had done before or has done since.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 01:56:20 AM by Kite32 »

iehomecoming

« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2016, 08:35:20 AM »

"excruciatingly small minority" ? Maybe, maybe not.

My favorite part of the shows was when they WEREN'T in the screen, and they aren't connecting with people who CAN'T SEE THE BAND regardless of whose fault it is. 10-20% by some accounts, but even if it was 1 % it's unacceptable to sell tickets at those kinds of prices and not tell people they won't see the band for large chunks of the show. Same was true of the stupid claw, at the Rose bowl people were being relocated from the $250 seats because they couldn't see.

Ditch the dumb props and choreography and just play the damn music. Willie needs to be reined in. Keep it simple stupid.

I did enjoy the IE shows, much more than 360 or Vertigo, and I had seats which allowed me to not get blocked views, but frankly I thought the inside the screen stuff was just dumb. Something I'd expect to see from Madonna. Oh wait......

Offline Mr. Red

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2016, 10:28:21 AM »
Having been to every tour multiple times since War, I have been fortunate enough to have experienced all of the possible stage designs. Popmart resonated with me an infinite amount more than I and E  ever will and it was in a stadium for goodness sake. I live in the states and saw some of the first shows of Popmart. For me, I and E was a decent rock show. But even with some of the bells and whistles, the band simply did not connect with the crowd like they used to for whatever reason. (I could go on and on about why).  And thus, the audience was lackluster at best compared to any other U2 tours I have been too. Everything about Popmart was exciting and innovative for me. I and E, not so much.......