Author Topic: What do the amount of stars mean under your name ?  (Read 7241 times)

mariamontreal

What do the amount of stars mean under your name ?
« on: September 29, 2008, 08:38:24 AM »
 ::) I noticed in your post you have 5 stars , and I have 1 , what does it mean ?

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
Re: What do the amount of stars mean under your name ?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 12:15:48 PM »
It's related to activity -- as you post more, you get more stars and your status changes. I think everyone begins as "Stranger in a Strange Land", then you advance to "Babyface" after 20 posts (or maybe 10), etc. I don't remember all the various levels.

Mods and Admins begin with 5 or 6 stars, but still have the same status names as everyone else.

Offline AmericanAngel

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • My nick-name is Wonder Woman.
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 06:00:37 PM »
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOh...nevermind my "other" questions....*shhhhhhh*   :-* ;D

Offline edgefan89

• Stateless
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 10:25:05 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It's related to activity -- as you post more, you get more stars and your status changes. I think everyone begins as "Stranger in a Strange Land", then you advance to "Babyface" after 20 posts (or maybe 10), etc. I don't remember all the various levels.

Mods and Admins begin with 5 or 6 stars, but still have the same status names as everyone else.

can u give us a list of the levels? just for my own personal enjoyment, really  ::)

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 10:52:02 PM »
Sure. See the attachment. As with everything -- it's subject to change.  ;D

Offline jw

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 08:53:29 AM »
One thing I forsee (as I've seen it on other boards) is some people will post arbitrarily to boost their status. 

Personally I never expect to make it past Babyface.

Is it possible to make post require some text?  I've seen people post a reply with nothing but a smily face or something.  So it's not a meaningful post.  If it's not possible to post graphics only, it might cut down on meaningless posts.

Just a thought.

mariamontreal

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 11:51:58 AM »
Thank you for the response , so the more I post the more stars I will get and the level of activity changes as well , cool !

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 01:15:56 PM »
One thing I forsee (as I've seen it on other boards) is some people will post arbitrarily to boost their status. 

Personally I never expect to make it past Babyface.

Is it possible to make post require some text?  I've seen people post a reply with nothing but a smily face or something.  So it's not a meaningful post.  If it's not possible to post graphics only, it might cut down on meaningless posts.

Just a thought.

We thought about that, but you know ... it's supposed to be fun. If people want to turn it into a competition, it'll be pretty obvious, and hopefully other users will ignore them or make it clear they're just cluttering things up.

If it's really egregious, we'll handle it accordingly. We have much more powerful admin tools at our disposal now. :)

OTOH, there's also a "Karma" system that we didn't activate. This system lets everyone vote up or vote down everyone else's posts. So you could vote down posts from people who are just trying to boost their level. And people with lots of down votes could be handled accordingly, too. :)

Offline jw

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 02:27:42 PM »

OTOH, there's also a "Karma" system that we didn't activate. This system lets everyone vote up or vote down everyone else's posts. So you could vote down posts from people who are just trying to boost their level. And people with lots of down votes could be handled accordingly, too. :)

Is that vote placed on the post or the thread?  One message board I'm on allows you to vote on the thread.  It sometimes comes in handy because generally the threads that have negative votes are a waste of time to read.  It doesn't necessarily mean that somebody is posting something bad.  But sometimes the threads are just drivel and not really worth reading.

As far as people engaging in inappropriate behavior, we can just use the "report to moderator" button when necessary.

Offline Malachi

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Is in cyberspace
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 12:36:28 PM »
That's cool. I want to get to elevation. It just sound the coolest under my name. 8) 8) 8) 8)

Offline Niterpi

• Stateless
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 10:38:11 AM »
You need to come up with more levels - top level 1000 posts - that is not gonna be enough!

Offline wild honey

• Babyface
  • Change is inevitable, struggle is an option.
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 05:05:02 AM »
Love, love, love the look of new forum, m2!!!   :D  And thank you for not turning the posting into a competition!  It's not that I don't want to post but I am truly not around much to have the opportunity to post.  With working full time and school part time it is so hard to sit down and truly post like desire to.  I come here every day to get information, find out what is happening and get so much joy from this site.  I would be truly saddened if I didn't have the opportunity to participate when I can.  Anyway, thanks again for all your efforts and giving me such a wonderful U2 site.   8)  Hopefully, you will see me around. 

P.S.  On the old forum I used be beck54.  I decided to get more creative with my user name.   ;)  Thanks for that opportunity.

Offline B-Wood

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • AchtungCloud on old forum
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 12:50:00 PM »
For the record, Dream Out Loud are my favorite U2 lyrics.  If I ever get a tattoo I've thought about getting those lyrics (or maybe the Zooropa symbol).

Offline zooey

• Elevated
  • Boom Cha
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 01:12:01 PM »
I thought maybe the stars had something to do with a reward system... cookies perhaps?  Just a suggestion as I'm rather fond of cookies.

Is this one of those meaningless posts you discussed?  Please don't ban me!!!!

*resists urge to just post a smiley after this post*

Offline bonovox66

• Refugee
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 10:50:49 AM »
For the record, Dream Out Loud are my favorite U2 lyrics.  If I ever get a tattoo I've thought about getting those lyrics (or maybe the Zooropa symbol).

I always wanted to have that logo put on back cars back windshield.