Author Topic: Rumor by waffles: U2 in Los Angeles for SOE  (Read 17754 times)

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
Re: Rumor by waffles: U2 in Los Angeles for SOE
« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2016, 02:03:46 PM »
Does anyone actually know who is producing SOE anyway or have they already gone through 3 or 4 producers?  Or maybe they are just having trouble finding a producer to take the job, as I'm sure most producers out there know U2's history of how they record by now and what no part of it. ;D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 02:07:44 PM by boom boom »

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #106 on: February 23, 2016, 02:18:35 PM »
I would really like u2 to just set up like they do live and record....they are much, much more powerful live than on record and whilst i appreciate it isn't quite that simple when making a record it would be good if they could stay as close as possible to that live sound and leave the production to a minimum/make it more similar to their live sound.

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2016, 02:24:54 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I would really like u2 to just set up like they do live and record....they are much, much more powerful live than on record and whilst i appreciate it isn't quite that simple when making a record it would be good if they could stay as close as possible to that live sound and leave the production to a minimum/make it more similar to their live sound.
\
Yeah, I really like how Springsteen records his albums.  You get the feeling of everyone playing.  with SOI it just sounded like each member came in at separate time and did their take and then they slapped it all together which I know sometimes that is how it's done nowadays  but still it shouldn't come across like that.  They got to get across like it is 4 guy playing in a room, which SOI failed to do-way to slick and over-produced.  NLOTH at times had that feeling, like MOS, they just got to do it for a full album.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2016, 03:08:11 PM »
I completely agree with the opinions here that U2 have done way too much tinkering with the last two albums... They need to stop bringing in various producers to re-work songs and dragging out the process to the point where the original inspiration they had for the album is lost.  On the last album, they angered many fans by delaying the original release date for months.  We found out later this was because they made the iPhone 6 release deal with Apple. That move that ended up generating mostly negative press. It may not be fair, but U2 has lost some respect with the general public in the last few years.  U2 has been one of the greatest rock bands in the world for over 30 years, but they are now in their twilight years and their attitude should be “go big or go home”.  By "go big" I mean having a big idea for an album (like they’ve had on many previous albums) and then following thru on that creative vision in the studio working with one or two primary producers.  If they don’t have the time or the inspiration anymore, maybe it is time to think about retirement.  No matter what, it is time to stop turning over the creative process to a string of producers and then being disappointed because the album did turn out as planned and sounds “over-produced”.

you touch on an interesting point... do these guys even have inspiration any more?  One of the producers (or maybe it was Jimmy Iovine?) told B he needed to go to a different (mental) place for the record...

almost as if, what is left for them to write about.  They clearly have no rage, are well established political groupies (as Sharon Osbourne has said) and you have to wonder if this is a big part of the problem.  When you feel the need to write anthems all the time, it's gotta be difficult

Offline Giga Razor

• Stateless
« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2016, 05:43:49 PM »
\
Yeah, I really like how Springsteen records his albums.  You get the feeling of everyone playing.  with SOI it just sounded like each member came in at separate time and did their take and then they slapped it all together which I know sometimes that is how it's done nowadays  but still it shouldn't come across like that.  They got to get across like it is 4 guy playing in a room, which SOI failed to do-way to slick and over-produced.  NLOTH at times had that feeling, like MOS, they just got to do it for a full album.
I wouldn't use Springsteen as a yard stick of how music should be done 20 guys prancing around on stage like they are  at an adult glee convention,and most of his recent output is bland and uninteresting,and its over cooked way more than U2s.

Offline Mr. Red

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #110 on: February 23, 2016, 06:54:42 PM »
\
I wouldn't use Springsteen as a yard stick of how music should be done 20 guys prancing around on stage like they are  at an adult glee convention,and most of his recent output is bland and uninteresting,and its over cooked way more than U2s.

I believe Boom Boom was referring to the desire to have a more organic feel to the recording process which is often present on Bruce's recordings and nowhere to be found on SOI ("slick and overproduced"). I don't know that your other points have much to do with that, respectfully. 

Offline Neil Young, man!

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #111 on: February 24, 2016, 02:23:45 AM »
\

I believe Boom Boom was referring to the desire to have a more organic feel to the recording process which is often present on Bruce's recordings and nowhere to be found on SOI ("slick and overproduced"). I don't know that your other points have much to do with that, respectfully.

Well all the same, "adult Glee convention" made my day. Great thread, agree with many that a faster, more organic recording process would be fresh. U2 needs to sound like U2 to be interesting.

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #112 on: February 24, 2016, 03:36:35 AM »
\

Thanks, that's what I was trying to get at.  the feel and sound of the recording.  what he is going on about after that I don't get.  Springsteen and E street band are great muscians and do great live shows.  To say that his albums are way more over cooked than U2's is a joke.  I don't know what he is listening to.  To say his most recent output is bland and uninteresting is his opinion but I loved Wrecking Ball and High Hopes and went to the wrecking ball tour and to be honest crowd reaction to when Springsteen plays a new song is way better than when U2 played a new song from SOI.  Just saying, Springsteen audience seems to know the whole material more so than U2 audience who are mainly there to hear the hits and which U2 seem eager to please and deliver the hits to them and yet they go on and on about not wanting to become a hits act.  Well stop playing them then!!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 03:50:54 AM by boom boom »

Offline Neil Young, man!

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #113 on: February 24, 2016, 04:43:48 AM »
Not sure I agree about the reception Bruce gets for new songs, it is mostly about the hits - and rarities - which Brice is better at bringing out. A few reasons for this is that he plays for an extra hour compared to U2, that many of his songs are easier to play (his 20 musicians, no backing tapes) and that his imagery is, well, that adult Glee crew. I am a Bruce fan but he is very, very different to U2 in every way imho. I do agree that U2 should copy his no nonsense recording process.

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #114 on: February 24, 2016, 05:41:37 AM »
Not sure I agree about the reception Bruce gets for new songs, it is mostly about the hits - and rarities - which Brice is better at bringing out. A few reasons for this is that he plays for an extra hour compared to U2, that many of his songs are easier to play (his 20 musicians, no backing tapes) and that his imagery is, well, that adult Glee crew. I am a Bruce fan but he is very, very different to U2 in every way imho. I do agree that U2 should copy his no nonsense recording process.
But even if bruce played the same amount of time as U2, A springsteen audience is not going to cry in the beer if he sings a newer song like Wrecking Ball (great crowd reaction when played currently on the River Tour) or say rarity like he did last night playin Growin' Up and a song like Youngstown at say the expense of playing Born in the USA, badlands.  It would not be the end of the world.  God forbid if U2 played a song like Surrender or A sort of Homecoming instead of Pride or WOWY.

Offline Neil Young, man!

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #115 on: February 24, 2016, 06:21:32 AM »
Not this U2 fan! Growin' up and Youngstown, love it. Add Pointblank and it is perfect. I think Bruce is worried about pleasing his long time fans and their kids, while U2 (unsuccessfully) is trying to win the pop kids.

Offline Mr. Red

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #116 on: February 24, 2016, 06:51:36 AM »
Not this U2 fan! Growin' up and Youngstown, love it. Add Pointblank and it is perfect. I think Bruce is worried about pleasing his long time fans and their kids, while U2 (unsuccessfully) is trying to win the pop kids.

I went to three MSG shows this tour.  In my opinion, compared to other tours I have been too, the crowd was pi*s poor overall, especially with the new tunes. I'm aware that many on this forum were happy with the crowd response this tour but for me, it was embarrassing. The entire phone things is whole other topic that obviously affects the entire vibe of the show.  This of course also has to do with the stagnant nature of the setlist. Bruce is very good at pleasing long time fans and their kids. U2 is good at pleasing the casual fans with the same old tired warhorses tour after tour. Problem is, those casual fans are more interested in posting instagram pictures and telling people that they were at a U2 show as opposed to actually participating in the show. They were energy vampires that sucked the life out of the room. Pathetic. Not what I look for in a live show. We can joke about Bruce's band looking like an adult glee convention but the passion and energy kicks ass and the crowd responds to that. Not to bring it up again but the same holds true for Pearl Jam shows just as another example. The U2 shows I was at almost felt like I was at an acoustic set in a sit down theatre for the aforementioned reasons. They really have to rethink their approach IMO. Like Adam said, start making music for themselves and music that speaks to them and I (we) will follow. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 06:55:46 AM by Mr. Red »

Behind the Barricade

« Reply #117 on: February 24, 2016, 07:50:18 AM »

I went to three MSG shows this tour.  In my opinion, compared to other tours I have been too, the crowd was pi*s poor overall, especially with the new tunes. I'm aware that many on this forum were happy with the crowd response this tour but for me, it was embarrassing.

Maybe that's just New Yorkers for you.  I thought the crowd enthusiasm at my London show was great.

The entire phone things is whole other topic that obviously affects the entire vibe of the show.  This of course also has to do with the stagnant nature of the setlist. Bruce is very good at pleasing long time fans and their kids. U2 is good at pleasing the casual fans with the same old tired warhorses tour after tour. Problem is, those casual fans are more interested in posting instagram pictures and telling people that they were at a U2 show as opposed to actually participating in the show. They were energy vampires that sucked the life out of the room. Pathetic. Not what I look for in a live show.

How do you know this applies only to, or mainly to, casual fans?  I wouldn't mind betting that longstanding U2 fans are also serial phone offenders too.

We can joke about Bruce's band looking like an adult glee convention but the passion and energy kicks ass and the crowd responds to that. Not to bring it up again but the same holds true for Pearl Jam shows just as another example. The U2 shows I was at almost felt like I was at an acoustic set in a sit down theatre for the aforementioned reasons.

So this is basically another "U2 are sh**e and other artists are ace" Post?

They really have to rethink their approach IMO. Like Adam said, start making music for themselves and music that speaks to them and I (we) will follow.

I actually think this U2 cycle (album and tour) is their best since 2000/2001 or even 1997/1998.  Songs of Innocence is largely made up of personal songs written about their youth, and on this tour they played arenas in both America and Europe.  Even many of the warhorses sounded more energised than they have for a number of tours and you think they need to rethink their approach?  Did it take you THREE shows to come to that conclusion?

Offline Mr. Red

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #118 on: February 24, 2016, 09:10:20 AM »
Barricade:Maybe that's just New Yorkers for you.  I thought the crowd enthusiasm at my London show was great.

great relative to what? Again, if you read my post, I referenced comparing it to other tours. For me, it used to be like a spiritual experience going to a U2 show. Not anymore.

Barricade: How do you know this applies only to, or mainly to, casual fans?  I wouldn't mind betting that longstanding U2 fans are also serial phone offenders too.

Agree with you 100%. The phone obsession is just a vibe killer!!

Barricade: So this is basically another "U2 are sh**e and other artists are ace" Post?

Not quite buddy. I enjoy the band. I have for 30+ years. Just pointing out some things that I personally wish were different from the band I grew up with. Why don't you shoot for an intellectual exchange which might make your posts a little more intriguing and interesting, Sort of what a forum is for? Step out from behind the barricade and the rose colored glasses you appear to wear regarding your boys who can seem to do no wrong. I really believe you have it in you!! 

Barricade: I actually think this U2 cycle (album and tour) is their best since 2000/2001 or even 1997/1998.  Songs of Innocence is largely made up of personal songs written about their youth, and on this tour they played arenas in both America and Europe.  Even many of the warhorses sounded more energised than they have for a number of tours and you think they need to rethink their approach?  Did it take you THREE shows to come to that conclusion?

Actually no. It was 6 shows, two of which were abroad. 65 shows over the years, but that's not the point.  And thanks for the reminder that they played arenas. Whilst, I almost forgot. I totally agree that it's their best record since 2000. The tour however did not do it for me, didn't resonate or touch me as much. Other than Bullet, the "more energized" warhorses were bland and mostly mailed in. I will make the small assumption that you enjoyed One as a crowd sing a long. All said, it sounds to me like you are one of those fans who loves U2 so unconditionally that anyone who may have an opinion that does not express complete and total adoration for the band,  you get all hot and bothered. That's the beauty of music, some tunes touch us some don't. But to worship every thing a band does seems silly to me. You can do better. Feel free to keep the dialogue going, but without the immature digs would be great though!

Computer Wacked out, couldn't reference quotes properly.   
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 09:15:11 AM by Mr. Red »

Offline Philaboy1971

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #119 on: February 24, 2016, 10:57:28 AM »
In and Out Burger, the best burgers by far.