Author Topic: Rumor by waffles: U2 in Los Angeles for SOE  (Read 17753 times)

Behind the Barricade

Re: Rumor by waffles: U2 in Los Angeles for SOE
« Reply #120 on: February 24, 2016, 11:04:13 AM »
On "The phone obsession is just a vibe killer", I'd get used to it on any tour you go and see, including, dare I say it, Springsteen tours, because that's the technology of the world we're living in and concert-goers, regardless of being casual fans or longstanding U2 fans, are going to want to take pictures or film the show.

You also complain about "the stagnant nature of the setlist" as having a negative affect on the mood of the audience and yet previous tours such as Zoo TV and PopMart had stagnant setlists too.  Did it have a similar affect on the audience at those shows?

I definitely didn't think the band mailed in Electric Co., Vertigo, I Will Follow, SBS, UTEOTW, BTBS, Pride or WOWY at my show.  And as for the One, I thought it was a cool way to close the evening.

It's also interesting that you went to see as many as SIX shows on this tour when you were so obviously underwhelmed by the band's performances.  Did you buy that many tickets in gleeful anticipation of the tour having been blown away by the incredibly awesome 360 shows?

Offline Mr. Red

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #121 on: February 24, 2016, 12:28:20 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
On "The phone obsession is just a vibe killer", I'd get used to it on any tour you go and see, including, dare I say it, Springsteen tours, because that's the technology of the world we're living in and concert-goers, regardless of being casual fans or longstanding U2 fans, are going to want to take pictures or film the show.

You also complain about "the stagnant nature of the setlist" as having a negative affect on the mood of the audience and yet previous tours such as Zoo TV and PopMart had stagnant setlists too.  Did it have a similar affect on the audience at those shows?

I definitely didn't think the band mailed in Electric Co., Vertigo, I Will Follow, SBS, UTEOTW, BTBS, Pride or WOWY at my show.  And as for the One, I thought it was a cool way to close the evening.

It's also interesting that you went to see as many as SIX shows on this tour when you were so obviously underwhelmed by the band's performances.  Did you buy that many tickets in gleeful anticipation of the tour having been blown away by the incredibly awesome 360 shows?

Good point on the technology thing. I wasn't sure if most people had smart phones these days. But seriously, I understand the desire to take a photo or record a song or two. Its all about balance I suppose. I beg to differ regarding the overgeneralization of "any tour you go and see" though. Not comparing music of course but I've seen some acts recently where the phones were a non-factor whatsoever (Phish, Alabama Shakes, Pearl Jam) and the crowds killed it.

Less phones = better crowd response.  So, the stagnant nature of popmart and zoo tv setlists was much less of a factor obviously due to the year they were performed.  Additionally, the band delivered those songs with more passion, energy and enthusiasm that really carried the shows. Hence the crowd responded much more to that passion and energy. We won't even go into the quality of the new tunes during those tours compared to now  because that would be too obvious. 

I'm glad you enjoyed those tunes at your show. One MSG show that I went too they played Gloria and October which was massive. Good passion, great delivery.

"Gleeful anticipation"....dripping with sarcasm!! Very Witty. Actually, when the band initially said the back to back nights being different shows I was pumped and locked in. But of course, we know what happened with that. Overthinking and afraid to disappoint casual fans who paid top dollar for tickets so out came the parade of warhorses to make the button ups happy. The abroad shows I attended (Ireland) were a gift. Good times. 360 was exceptionally un-fulfilling for me, especially being in stadiums. My hope with the arena shows and back to back nights being different would rekindle the spirit for me. I was wrong. Hopefully, if SOE delivers, I can look more forward to seeing the band I grew up with.

Good dialogue here. But again  is there anything the band does that you wish might be a little different. Things that don't resonate with you? Are you a new fan? 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 12:31:50 PM by Mr. Red »

Behind the Barricade

« Reply #122 on: February 24, 2016, 01:24:04 PM »
Good point on the technology thing. I wasn't sure if most people had smart phones these days. But seriously, I understand the desire to take a photo or record a song or two. Its all about balance I suppose. I beg to differ regarding the overgeneralization of "any tour you go and see" though. Not comparing music of course but I've seen some acts recently where the phones were a non-factor whatsoever (Phish, Alabama Shakes, Pearl Jam) and the crowds killed it.

Cool. Not only are Pearl Jam all round awesomeness personified but the awesomeness extends to their fans too.  Bravo Pearl Jam.

Less phones = better crowd response.  So, the stagnant nature of popmart and zoo tv setlists was much less of a factor obviously due to the year they were performed.  Additionally, the band delivered those songs with more passion, energy and enthusiasm that really carried the shows. Hence the crowd responded much more to that passion and energy. We won't even go into the quality of the new tunes during those tours compared to now  because that would be too obvious.

So you don't have a problem with the relatively stagnant set-lists per se?  The passion, energy and enthusiasm bit is pretty subjective, but I'm sorry you didn't feel it.

I'm glad you enjoyed those tunes at your show. One MSG show that I went too they played Gloria and October which was massive. Good passion, great delivery.

So your time wasn't entirely wasted then.

Actually, when the band initially said the back to back nights being different shows I was pumped and locked in. But of course, we know what happened with that.

You must have felt incredibly disappointed when you found out the back to back different shows - based on tenuous evidence (Bono's talk) - weren't going to happen, but I admire your fortitude in soldiering on and sitting through all six of your shows despite your lack of enthusiasm - the mark of a true fan.  At least you got plenty of time to watch the crowds' lack of 'participation' and enthusiasm.

Overthinking and afraid to disappoint casual fans who paid top dollar for tickets so out came the parade of warhorses to make the button ups happy.

They were never not going to play the warhorses, all your previous experience of seeing U2's shows would surely have forewarned you so.  Far from 'overthinking' I wouldn't be surprised if U2 didn't give it any thought whatsoever. 

Hopefully, if SOE delivers, I can look more forward to seeing the band I grew up with.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  :)

But again is there anything the band does that you wish might be a little different. Things that don't resonate with you?

Well maybe if Adam would give me a smirk and Bono blow me a kiss then that would be the icing on the cake for me.

Are you a new fan?

Relatively speaking.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #123 on: February 24, 2016, 02:08:16 PM »

"Gleeful anticipation"....dripping with sarcasm!! Very Witty. Actually, when the band initially said the back to back nights being different shows I was pumped and locked in. But of course, we know what happened with that. Overthinking and afraid to disappoint casual fans who paid top dollar for tickets so out came the parade of warhorses to make the button ups happy. The abroad shows I attended (Ireland) were a gift. Good times. 360 was exceptionally un-fulfilling for me, especially being in stadiums. My hope with the arena shows and back to back nights being different would rekindle the spirit for me. I was wrong. Hopefully, if SOE delivers, I can look more forward to seeing the band I grew up with.

Good dialogue here. But again  is there anything the band does that you wish might be a little different. Things that don't resonate with you? Are you a new fan?

Mr. Red - you're trying to have a respectful dialogue with an individual who either does not share that desire, or does not understand how to do it.

Offline Mr. Red

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #124 on: February 24, 2016, 02:21:37 PM »
Ok behind the barricade. I tried brother but you have too much unresolved anger and a lack of maturity and respect for yourself to have a healthy dialogue. It's a shame because you do seem to have a certain level of passion that's so sadly misguided. I wish you well that you may one day step out of the darkness, out from behind the barricade, away from your fears and into the light. May I recommend some Mindfulness. I've engaged enough. Over and out. 

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #125 on: February 24, 2016, 02:34:53 PM »
Ok behind the barricade. I tried brother but you have too much unresolved anger and a lack of maturity and respect for yourself to have a healthy dialogue. It's a shame because you do seem to have a certain level of passion that's so sadly misguided. I wish you well that you may one day step out of the darkness, out from behind the barricade, away from your fears and into the light. May I recommend some Mindfulness. I've engaged enough. Over and out.

Well played. You're a gentleman and a scholar.

Behind the Barricade

« Reply #126 on: February 24, 2016, 05:41:29 PM »

You spent more time telling me what you think I am and what you think I need to do than actually debating.  Disrespectful I'd say.

Waffles

« Reply #127 on: February 24, 2016, 06:36:20 PM »
Jesus loves everyone

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #128 on: February 25, 2016, 01:56:13 AM »
Jesus loves everyone

Except the money changers. He hates those guys.

Offline fresno dave

• Party Girl/Boy
  • "You wanted violins.." about.me/davewainscott
« Reply #129 on: February 25, 2016, 02:21:09 AM »
This is my "theory" based on recent media. Edge has obviously been in LA as we've seen on Instagram and his TMZ interview and he specifically said he was in thes studio earlier. Adam has posted a picture of two of LA art. Bono just posted a photo of in-n-out hat which are only located in California. Larry rarely posts anything or is sighted; so all of this leads me to conclude the band in finally working on SOE in 2016! They're probably at shangri La studio as that's where they last worked on SOI.
There are In N Outs in Texas, Utah, Arizona, about 12 in  Las Vegas Nevada etc.  But that's just a technicality.  The band are not likely to be recording in any of those other states (:

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #130 on: February 25, 2016, 06:41:25 AM »
Jesus loves everyone

yup, even the disrespectful!

Offline sulphur76

• Refugee
« Reply #131 on: February 29, 2016, 03:39:07 PM »

To address your other question. Pearl  Jam (25 years) and Bruce (god knows how long), just two examples, blow U2 out of the water with regards to level of passion, particularly with regards to live shows. No bells and whistle, smoke and mirrors but pure rock and roll passion. Love them or hate them, you cannot argue that. Different level!

I've seen Pearl Jam. Different type of show than U2, both great at what they do. That said, I will take Bono's charisma over everything PJ throws at you any time.

Bruce I am seeing this year in July. Consider he's currently promoting a remaster of an album that came out in 1980 and his last fully new album was out in 2012 (High hopes is a compilation of studio leftovers). U2 on the other hand will get back on the road with another new record while SOI isn't even two years old.

I appreciate your sentiment here but lets not start praising u2 for being prolific or comparing how prolific they are with other artists....they aren't exactly prolific.

It's funny, because it's true!!

Offline Pocket Merlin

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #132 on: February 29, 2016, 05:45:33 PM »

To address your other question. Pearl  Jam (25 years) and Bruce (god knows how long), just two examples, blow U2 out of the water with regards to level of passion, particularly with regards to live shows. No bells and whistle, smoke and mirrors but pure rock and roll passion. Love them or hate them, you cannot argue that. Different level!

I've seen Pearl Jam. Different type of show than U2, both great at what they do. That said, I will take Bono's charisma over everything PJ throws at you any time.

Bruce I am seeing this year in July. Consider he's currently promoting a remaster of an album that came out in 1980 and his last fully new album was out in 2012 (High hopes is a compilation of studio leftovers). U2 on the other hand will get back on the road with another new record while SOI isn't even two years old.

I appreciate your sentiment here but lets not start praising u2 for being prolific or comparing how prolific they are with other artists....they aren't exactly prolific.

In terms of output vs. time passed, no, they're not prolific anymore. In terms of the number of quality albums and songs they've released over a 35-year career? Show me a single rock band who's anywhere close.

iehomecoming

« Reply #133 on: March 01, 2016, 08:40:55 AM »

In terms of output vs. time passed, no, they're not prolific anymore. In terms of the number of quality albums and songs they've released over a 35-year career? Show me a single rock band who's anywhere close.

That's very subjective.

I would personally point to Rush and Iron Maiden over a similar or longer period, or could point to someone like Led Zeppelin putting out more quality material in one third of the time. Other who like that kind of stuff could probably point to Springsteen, Bowie, etc. U2 hasn't put out a GREAT album in the last 20 of those 35 years.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #134 on: March 01, 2016, 03:54:18 PM »

That's very subjective.

I would personally point to Rush and Iron Maiden over a similar or longer period, or could point to someone like Led Zeppelin putting out more quality material in one third of the time. Other who like that kind of stuff could probably point to Springsteen, Bowie, etc. U2 hasn't put out a GREAT album in the last 20 of those 35 years.

Yes but all those bands are comprised of full time musicians not part time musicians/activists/celebs like U2 are.  So you are really being unfair to our lads.   Can Geddy Lee call up popes and presidents?  I dont think so.  So there.