Author Topic: Rumor by waffles: U2 in Los Angeles for SOE  (Read 17495 times)

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
Re: Rumor by waffles: U2 in Los Angeles for SOE
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2016, 10:55:48 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thanx MDMom, what?  Did U2 not like the Amsterdam welkom? I wanna have a word with the band now... ha ha ! I thought the shows in Amsterdam were good, and the audiance were going for it.
No problem here. They organised a cool thing for the band, but a lot of party poopers did not hold up a sheet to make a giant flag. Well ...... it's the thought that counts.

:)

I'd agree about Amsterdam. I'd think it was great based on what I heard on the Mixlr.
And, what about Berlin getting Zoo Station and the first New Year's Day?

Rumours...  ::)

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2016, 11:02:17 AM »

What's a double double at Tim Horton's Starman?

A friend who seems to know things of this nature posted something of interest yesterday. If he's right, and he's not saying he is, just a strong rumour - U2 is still finishing SOE while Bono continues his rehab. No European shows this summer, but North America again in the autumn. U2 felt more excitement in the US than Europe. They didn't like the European reception except for Torino, UK, Dublin and Paris. The SOE songs will replace the SOI songs and the set up will be the same. The band didn't like the ticket pricing structure and is p.o.ed at Live Nation.

Who knows, but it made me realize that I'm ready to do this again! *I* am, my bank account is NOT! Ha!

Hmm, you could be right, though I can't imagine them actually being mad at Live Nation (though they should be).

A double double is a coffee with two sugars and two creams. It's not the healthiest way to drink coffee, but it's very good.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2016, 11:15:44 AM »

A friend who seems to know things of this nature posted something of interest yesterday. If he's right, and he's not saying he is, just a strong rumour - U2 is still finishing SOE while Bono continues his rehab. No European shows this summer, but North America again in the autumn. U2 felt more excitement in the US than Europe. They didn't like the European reception except for Torino, UK, Dublin and Paris. The SOE songs will replace the SOI songs and the set up will be the same. The band didn't like the ticket pricing structure and is p.o.ed at Live Nation.

Who knows, but it made me realize that I'm ready to do this again! *I* am, my bank account is NOT! Ha!

Hmm, you could be right, though I can't imagine them actually being mad at Live Nation (though they should be).

A double double is a coffee with two sugars and two creams. It's not the healthiest way to drink coffee, but it's very good.
I take my coffee like #9 with agave or agave and stevia. I know all about unhealthy! ;)
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2016, 01:38:32 PM »

I can't see any of the comments about Europe being true, nor the removal of soi. I don't think they would openly criticize live nation.

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2016, 03:32:41 PM »
What happened to this thread?

Waffles

« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2016, 04:16:06 PM »

Didn't know that. If you say "double double" in California, people will think you're referring to a burger with two patties of meat and two slices of cheese- at the fast food restruant 'in n out'

iehomecoming

« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2016, 04:25:27 PM »
they will also make a triple triple for you (I get them once in a while) or quadruple-quadruple.

They once made a 100/100 for some guys with the munchies but the company no longer allows that.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2016, 10:40:57 PM »
The Triple Double Troubles Remix?

Offline MattD

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2016, 11:41:59 AM »
If they're pi**ed off at Live Nation and the cool reception from Europe compared to the US, then perhaps that should be a sign that their business interests, tax affairs and profiteering obsessiveness isn't particularly conducive to artful music making.

Lord knows, we all know this, but with Apple deals, lucrative Live Nation deals, Guy Oseary, their U2 corp tax affairs and Edge's property fiasco in California, does this really speak of a band that used to push the creative boundaries? All that sh**e is now getting in the way of creative instincts and sapping their mind as they slowly morph into businessmen and we're left with sloppy sappy tunes like Song For Someone and other generic pieces (The Miracle, etc).

I mean, come on, no good artist has ever come off well when they have such uber material interest at heart? And U2 are wasting all that talent now in the chase of playing the markets basically.

Their live performances still amaze, but for the rest? They've only got themselves to blame.

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2016, 11:44:54 AM »
I don't think Edge's real estate problems or the band's decision to take advantage of legal tax loopholes has a thing to do with if they're able to push the boundaries of music.

Offline Neil Young, man!

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2016, 04:31:50 PM »
Mmm, maybe, but MattD has a point.

Offline Mr. Red

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2016, 07:26:20 PM »
If they're pi**ed off at Live Nation and the cool reception from Europe compared to the US, then perhaps that should be a sign that their business interests, tax affairs and profiteering obsessiveness isn't particularly conducive to artful music making.

Lord knows, we all know this, but with Apple deals, lucrative Live Nation deals, Guy Oseary, their U2 corp tax affairs and Edge's property fiasco in California, does this really speak of a band that used to push the creative boundaries? All that sh**e is now getting in the way of creative instincts and sapping their mind as they slowly morph into businessmen and we're left with sloppy sappy tunes like Song For Someone and other generic pieces (The Miracle, etc).

I mean, come on, no good artist has ever come off well when they have such uber material interest at heart? And U2 are wasting all that talent now in the chase of playing the markets basically.

Their live performances still amaze, but for the rest? They've only got themselves to blame.

Most absolutely spot on post I've read in quite some time. These are the reasons the band simply no longer resonates the way it used to for me. Their creative energy and vibe is severely lacking at this point as their music is mediocre at best these days. Personally, I would not even go so far as to say that their "live performances still amaze" comparatively speaking. Choreographed well..yes...creative ..to a certain degree...passionate to the core..not even close.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 07:28:52 PM by Mr. Red »

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2016, 09:21:52 PM »
Does Guy Oseary work? I'd love to have his "job."

Offline keaton

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2016, 01:59:46 AM »

Most absolutely spot on post I've read in quite some time. These are the reasons the band simply no longer resonates the way it used to for me. Their creative energy and vibe is severely lacking at this point as their music is mediocre at best these days. Personally, I would not even go so far as to say that their "live performances still amaze" comparatively speaking. Choreographed well..yes...creative ..to a certain degree...passionate to the core..not even close.

I second all of this.

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2016, 07:30:42 AM »
Does Guy Oseary work? I'd love to have his "job."
Agreed.  The whole mess with the SOI release and Apple should be on him as he is the manager.  I don't mind the free release but it is on Guy to communicate with the apple techs that everything would go down smooth on the release and that people who did not want it wouldn't get it.  Just wondered how things would have turned out if the release went smooth.  He should have stepped up to the plate and accepted the responsibility of the backlash of the SOI release that went bad.  But basically he threw the band under the bus and had them do a facebook question and answer in which they ended up apolgizing for those who got SOI and didn't want it.   When Paul was the manager and when the whole POP and POPMART tour debacle happened he accepted full responsibility and said it was on him. 

Now forget about the SOI release that went bad (which is totally Guy's fault) another mistake which is his and livenations fault in my opinion is the following I&E tour.  Now I know that U2 cannot compete with the likes of today's artist (taylor swift, rihanna, Jay Z, Beyonce, etc) in terms of selling albums and getting radio airplay, but what they pride themselves on is being the biggest live attraction in the world.  For them to go on tour and end up having the fourth highest grossing tour in 2015 is totally unacceptable, finishing behind taylor swift, acdc and one direction.  It should have been Guy's and livenation to make sure that U2 finished with the top tour of 2015.  They couldn't even boast that.  At least that would have made up for the poor reception that SOI got upon release.  It is a head scratcher that livenation and Guy only booked U2 in total NA/Europe to only play 22 cities and 76 shows which only grossed 152.2 million and good for 4th place.  They left so many markets not played.  They could have easily got the number 1 tour if they just only added 20 more shows considering that Taylor Swift only played 83 shows and grossed 250.4 million which was good for top tour.  I'm sure U2 is not happy ending up in 4th especially behind the likes of Taylor Swift and One Direction as they take great pride on being the biggest live attraction in the world (at least not in 2015 anyway).  So it would be of no surprise that they are just a little pi**ed of with Livenation right now. 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 07:36:58 AM by boom boom »