Author Topic: Rumor by waffles: U2 in Los Angeles for SOE  (Read 17184 times)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Re: Rumor by waffles: U2 in Los Angeles for SOE
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2016, 07:51:35 AM »
Why does it matter who has the highest grossing tour?

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2016, 08:08:53 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Why is it important? Not to me but make no mistake it is very important U2.  I was just only pointing out all of the great work and the bang up job the Guy and livenation have done for U2's career since taking over.  NOw that's a joke!!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 08:12:11 AM by boom boom »

Offline Giga Razor

• Stateless
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2016, 08:30:28 AM »
Does Guy Oseary work? I'd love to have his "job."
Agreed.  The whole mess with the SOI release and Apple should be on him as he is the manager.  I don't mind the free release but it is on Guy to communicate with the apple techs that everything would go down smooth on the release and that people who did not want it wouldn't get it.  Just wondered how things would have turned out if the release went smooth.  He should have stepped up to the plate and accepted the responsibility of the backlash of the SOI release that went bad.  But basically he threw the band under the bus and had them do a facebook question and answer in which they ended up apolgizing for those who got SOI and didn't want it.   When Paul was the manager and when the whole POP and POPMART tour debacle happened he accepted full responsibility and said it was on him. 

Now forget about the SOI release that went bad (which is totally Guy's fault) another mistake which is his and livenations fault in my opinion is the following I&E tour.  Now I know that U2 cannot compete with the likes of today's artist (taylor swift, rihanna, Jay Z, Beyonce, etc) in terms of selling albums and getting radio airplay, but what they pride themselves on is being the biggest live attraction in the world.  For them to go on tour and end up having the fourth highest grossing tour in 2015 is totally unacceptable, finishing behind taylor swift, acdc and one direction.  It should have been Guy's and livenation to make sure that U2 finished with the top tour of 2015.  They couldn't even boast that.  At least that would have made up for the poor reception that SOI got upon release.  It is a head scratcher that livenation and Guy only booked U2 in total NA/Europe to only play 22 cities and 76 shows which only grossed 152.2 million and good for 4th place.  They left so many markets not played.  They could have easily got the number 1 tour if they just only added 20 more shows considering that Taylor Swift only played 83 shows and grossed 250.4 million which was good for top tour.  I'm sure U2 is not happy ending up in 4th especially behind the likes of Taylor Swift and One Direction as they take great pride on being the biggest live attraction in the world (at least not in 2015 anyway).  So it would be of no surprise that they are just a little pi**ed of with Livenation right now.
What a ridiculous post,U2 decided themselves to play indoors and to play a smaller tour than usual ,Bono had major injuries with the bike accident and his back and he ain't no spring chicken  the fact he toured at all is a feat in itself ,an 80s band in the top 10 tours of the year is a massive achievement,where was Def leppard,Simple minds ,etc ,If people didn't want the album in their itunes tough T#ts they should have deleted it or turned off their auto download feature,I subscribe to Netflix and I don't want certain US thrash programs on it but that's the way it works,its the job of rock bands to be brash and f##k up the industry and who cares if it annoyed a few few geeks and Twitter mob whose opinions mean nothing .

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2016, 08:41:15 AM »
Why is it important? Not to me but make no mistake it is very important U2.  I was just only pointing out all of the great work and the bang up job the Guy and livenation have done for U2's career since taking over.  NOw that's a joke!!

Surely the band decided how many shows they played....i know u2 are very fond of a pound note but i doubt even they care about if they gross more than other artists - well at least i hope they don't.

Offline Giga Razor

• Stateless
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2016, 08:53:07 AM »

Surely the band decided how many shows they played....i know u2 are very fond of a pound note but i doubt even they care about if they gross more than other artists - well at least i hope they don't.
Here here father that's the first sensible thing you've said all year.

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2016, 08:54:04 AM »
Agreed.  The whole mess with the SOI release and Apple should be on him as he is the manager.  I don't mind the free release but it is on Guy to communicate with the apple techs that everything would go down smooth on the release and that people who did not want it wouldn't get it.  Just wondered how things would have turned out if the release went smooth.  He should have stepped up to the plate and accepted the responsibility of the backlash of the SOI release that went bad.  But basically he threw the band under the bus and had them do a facebook question and answer in which they ended up apolgizing for those who got SOI and didn't want it.   When Paul was the manager and when the whole POP and POPMART tour debacle happened he accepted full responsibility and said it was on him. 

Now forget about the SOI release that went bad (which is totally Guy's fault) another mistake which is his and livenations fault in my opinion is the following I&E tour.  Now I know that U2 cannot compete with the likes of today's artist (taylor swift, rihanna, Jay Z, Beyonce, etc) in terms of selling albums and getting radio airplay, but what they pride themselves on is being the biggest live attraction in the world.  For them to go on tour and end up having the fourth highest grossing tour in 2015 is totally unacceptable, finishing behind taylor swift, acdc and one direction.  It should have been Guy's and livenation to make sure that U2 finished with the top tour of 2015.  They couldn't even boast that.  At least that would have made up for the poor reception that SOI got upon release.  It is a head scratcher that livenation and Guy only booked U2 in total NA/Europe to only play 22 cities and 76 shows which only grossed 152.2 million and good for 4th place.  They left so many markets not played.  They could have easily got the number 1 tour if they just only added 20 more shows considering that Taylor Swift only played 83 shows and grossed 250.4 million which was good for top tour.  I'm sure U2 is not happy ending up in 4th especially behind the likes of Taylor Swift and One Direction as they take great pride on being the biggest live attraction in the world (at least not in 2015 anyway).  So it would be of no surprise that they are just a little pi**ed of with Livenation right now.
What a ridiculous post,U2 decided themselves to play indoors and to play a smaller tour than usual ,Bono had major injuries with the bike accident and his back and he ain't no spring chicken  the fact he toured at all is a feat in itself ,an 80s band in the top 10 tours of the year is a massive achievement,where was Def leppard,Simple minds ,etc ,If people didn't want the album in their itunes tough T#ts they should have deleted it or turned off their auto download feature,I subscribe to Netflix and I don't want certain US thrash programs on it but that's the way it works,its the job of rock bands to be brash and f##k up the industry and who cares if it annoyed a few few geeks and Twitter mob whose opinions mean nothing .
I'm just saying from one of the previous post that the band were pi**ed of at livenation.  I'm just saying that I can see why they would be.  Yes it was the bands idea to play indoors but they leave it up to management and livenation to book shows and sure they didn't have 4th place in mind.  To call a post ridiculous seems out of line, but if anything it is a little naive if you think that finishing #1 is not important to U2 by now.  This is a band who thrives on this stuff (finishing #1, grammys) etc.  Whether or not you care about who got annoyed or not with the SOI release is not important.  It was a total mess in which management should have stepped up instead of the band looking like they had egg on their face apologizing for the mistake.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 10:33:46 AM by boom boom »

Offline emuhunter

• Refugee
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2016, 11:03:31 AM »

I'm just saying from one of the previous post that the band were pi**ed of at livenation.  I'm just saying that I can see why they would be.  Yes it was the bands idea to play indoors but they leave it up to management and livenation to book shows and sure they didn't have 4th place in mind.  To call a post ridiculous seems out of line, but if anything it is a little naive if you think that finishing #1 is not important to U2 by now.  This is a band who thrives on this stuff (finishing #1, grammys) etc.  Whether or not you care about who got annoyed or not with the SOI release is not important.  It was a total mess in which management should have stepped up instead of the band looking like they had egg on their face apologizing for the mistake.

Here's a different perspective: by not over-saturating the market with shows they may have created a market of scarcity for their future tours. In other words, by accepting a 4th place finish they're making sure they'll be able to come back in 2016, 2017, etc and have renewed interest which is an issue after a tour like 360 where tons of fair-weather fans were able to see the band and mark them off their bucket list without any plans of coming back for more (something I personally know several friends of mine did).

I propose that by making it smaller they were able to focus on their core demographic (the fans), create an event that fits with what they wanted creatively, and keep themselves in the game so to speak. Not bad things.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2016, 11:38:16 AM »
boom boom, your sentiments are misdirected, you are putting the blame for basically everything that went wrong on Guy O... remember he is the manager and his job is to execute what the band want.  as for the tour, it was generally very well received.  as for getting the top grossing?  they already accomplished the main feat when they put 360 to bed as the biggest of all time.  I agree with you that was an important accomplishment in terms of bragging rights - Bono even joked about that in his 60 minutes interview.

But honestly if you think that Guy is to blame for the other stuff such as the Apple release then you are just off base.  Seems like he did his best with the Facebook thing which the band probably never would have a greed to do without him... so that was a step in the right direction even if ultimately Bono decided to retract his apology

if the band weren't happy with him, he would no longer be their manager

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2016, 11:45:13 AM »
If they're pi**ed off at Live Nation and the cool reception from Europe compared to the US, then perhaps that should be a sign that their business interests, tax affairs and profiteering obsessiveness isn't particularly conducive to artful music making.

Lord knows, we all know this, but with Apple deals, lucrative Live Nation deals, Guy Oseary, their U2 corp tax affairs and Edge's property fiasco in California, does this really speak of a band that used to push the creative boundaries? All that sh**e is now getting in the way of creative instincts and sapping their mind as they slowly morph into businessmen and we're left with sloppy sappy tunes like Song For Someone and other generic pieces (The Miracle, etc).

I mean, come on, no good artist has ever come off well when they have such uber material interest at heart? And U2 are wasting all that talent now in the chase of playing the markets basically.

Their live performances still amaze, but for the rest? They've only got themselves to blame.

Most absolutely spot on post I've read in quite some time. These are the reasons the band simply no longer resonates the way it used to for me. Their creative energy and vibe is severely lacking at this point as their music is mediocre at best these days. Personally, I would not even go so far as to say that their "live performances still amaze" comparatively speaking. Choreographed well..yes...creative ..to a certain degree...passionate to the core..not even close.

I second all of this.

i enjoyed the I+E shows I saw but yes there is no doubt that much of the former passion seems to be ebbing... I have commented before on how Streets for me is the shining example of where the spark is really fading.  yes it is still great, relatively speaking but it's nowhere near what it used to be and I attribute this to the meticulous scripted nature of every show plus Bono's insistence to trumpet his humanitarian and social activism into these shows... it started with Vertigo Tour and I really wish they would stifle it and get more spontaneous... I have limited expectations...

at the end of the day they need to get pi**ed and bring some of the contender/challenger mojo back... these days every show is a victory tour stop and while joy is great, a little simmering anger and rage are great fuel for rock n roll show...

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2016, 01:32:19 PM »
boom boom, your sentiments are misdirected, you are putting the blame for basically everything that went wrong on Guy O... remember he is the manager and his job is to execute what the band want.  as for the tour, it was generally very well received.  as for getting the top grossing?  they already accomplished the main feat when they put 360 to bed as the biggest of all time.  I agree with you that was an important accomplishment in terms of bragging rights - Bono even joked about that in his 60 minutes interview.

But honestly if you think that Guy is to blame for the other stuff such as the Apple release then you are just off base.  Seems like he did his best with the Facebook thing which the band probably never would have a greed to do without him... so that was a step in the right direction even if ultimately Bono decided to retract his apology

if the band weren't happy with him, he would no longer be their manager
Well, I call it as I see it.  Everything seemed to go wrong since he took over.  If he just stood up and came out and said it was on him with the whole apple mess, it may have not gotten out of control.  Yes, like you said he is the manager and his job is to execute what the band want.  they wanted an Apple give away for SOI and it is his job to make sure that the release goes smoothly by talking with the apple techs to see of any possible glitches that might occur with the release.  This is not the bands job.  That is what they pay Guy for and other people in their organization.  Again, Paul McGuiness stood up and took all the blame for the Popmart disaster and said it was on him that the band were not ready for opening night in Vegas.  As for the tour, yes they have the biggest tour of all time with 360, but this is an industry of what have you done for me lately.  And like you said no bragging rights for 2015, which we all know like you also said in his 60 minutes interview it is something they like to accomplish as this is where they live in-being a live band and being the best at it, but in 2015 they were the 4th best.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2016, 01:48:13 PM »
When did rock n roll become all about a league table of who made the most money?

When did making the most money mean you are the best?

Never mind all that sh**e just make great records the rest is just noise....i sometimes wonder if some fans think being a fan of a band is like being a fan of a footy team and it matters how many records they sell/tickets they sell/how much money they make like some kind of trophy.

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2016, 02:01:41 PM »
When did rock n roll become all about a league table of who made the most money?

Never mind all that sh**e just make great records the rest is just noise....i sometimes wonder if some fans think being a fan of a band is like being a fan of a footy team and it matters how many records they sell/tickets they sell/how much money they make like some kind of trophy.

It is not important to me.  I don't care if they finish 4th, 5th, 10th or every win another grammy again.   Yes, all I want is some great records.  But like I said, It is important to U2 and they have said it themselves before.  We all know the bands obsession on getting back to the Grammy podium and for touring the live arena is where they live and it is important for them (not me) to finish #1.  I don't think being 2nd best to anybody is in U2's vocabulary let alone being the 4th best.

Offline Mr. Red

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2016, 02:55:49 PM »

It is not important to me.  I don't care if they finish 4th, 5th, 10th or every win another grammy again.   Yes, all I want is some great records.  But like I said, It is important to U2 and they have said it themselves before.  We all know the bands obsession on getting back to the Grammy podium and for touring the live arena is where they live and it is important for them (not me) to finish #1.  I don't think being 2nd best to anybody is in U2's vocabulary let alone being the 4th best.

Hence, the mediocrity of their music for there past decade and then some.  Priorities are out of whack since 2000.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 02:57:23 PM by Mr. Red »

Offline Mr. Red

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2016, 03:12:37 PM »
If they're pi**ed off at Live Nation and the cool reception from Europe compared to the US, then perhaps that should be a sign that their business interests, tax affairs and profiteering obsessiveness isn't particularly conducive to artful music making.

Lord knows, we all know this, but with Apple deals, lucrative Live Nation deals, Guy Oseary, their U2 corp tax affairs and Edge's property fiasco in California, does this really speak of a band that used to push the creative boundaries? All that sh**e is now getting in the way of creative instincts and sapping their mind as they slowly morph into businessmen and we're left with sloppy sappy tunes like Song For Someone and other generic pieces (The Miracle, etc).

I mean, come on, no good artist has ever come off well when they have such uber material interest at heart? And U2 are wasting all that talent now in the chase of playing the markets basically.

Their live performances still amaze, but for the rest? They've only got themselves to blame.

Most absolutely spot on post I've read in quite some time. These are the reasons the band simply no longer resonates the way it used to for me. Their creative energy and vibe is severely lacking at this point as their music is mediocre at best these days. Personally, I would not even go so far as to say that their "live performances still amaze" comparatively speaking. Choreographed well..yes...creative ..to a certain degree...passionate to the core..not even close.

I second all of this.

i enjoyed the I+E shows I saw but yes there is no doubt that much of the former passion seems to be ebbing... I have commented before on how Streets for me is the shining example of where the spark is really fading.  yes it is still great, relatively speaking but it's nowhere near what it used to be and I attribute this to the meticulous scripted nature of every show plus Bono's insistence to trumpet his humanitarian and social activism into these shows... it started with Vertigo Tour and I really wish they would stifle it and get more spontaneous... I have limited expectations...

at the end of the day they need to get pi**ed and bring some of the contender/challenger mojo back... these days every show is a victory tour stop and while joy is great, a little simmering anger and rage are great fuel for rock n roll show...

Well said! Enjoyed the shows... yes I did for the most part. Solid night out.  Did I leave there feeling "touched" by the experience like I used too..... no way.  The mojo is lost. This is my opinion because I have seen every tour multiple times since War. I can fully understand how some fans loved the shows because they have less mileage to compare it to. I would never want to yuck their yum. In the end, the tours are driven by the power of the songs and the strength and power of most (not all) of the material has been  lost  since POP.   It's that simple. I mean seriously, for Cedar Road to be the "fans" favorite new live song from SOI says it all. It will be a complete afterthought in the future.  On second thought, maybe it won't because it is not challenging sonically and easy for Bono to sing (he can easily talk his way through most of it without singing). So in that case, we may see it again and again.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 03:20:11 PM by Mr. Red »

Behind the Barricade

« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2016, 03:59:12 PM »
It is a head scratcher that livenation and Guy only booked U2 in total NA/Europe to only play 22 cities and 76 shows which only grossed 152.2 million and good for 4th place.  They left so many markets not played.  They could have easily got the number 1 tour if they just only added 20 more shows considering that Taylor Swift only played 83 shows and grossed 250.4 million which was good for top tour.  I'm sure U2 is not happy ending up in 4th especially behind the likes of Taylor Swift and One Direction as they take great pride on being the biggest live attraction in the world (at least not in 2015 anyway).  So it would be of no surprise that they are just a little pi**ed of with Livenation right now.

I don't think the current U2 tour is over yet and they have every intention of resuming the tour and playing those untapped markets in due course, whether with the current stage setup or in stadiums.  The thing is that as U2 get older they haven't got the energy to play a 150 date tour in one go anymore, they need to take a lengthy break.  So you can stop scratching your head now.