Author Topic: Why is No Line on the Horizon nonexistent?  (Read 10291 times)

Offline Allhorizonbomb

• Wanderer
  • Self proclaimed biggest U2 fan in New York State
Why is No Line on the Horizon nonexistent?
« on: February 27, 2016, 11:18:09 PM »
With seventy six shows played, only once did a single No line on the horizon song make it into a setlist which is very disheartening to me. I consider that album to be my favorite of all time and live it can stand up to Achtung baby easily in my opinion. I know it didn't produce a massive hit, but who cares. I makes me deeply sad that U2 has become, as it seems, almost too afraid to play it, and because of that we may never hear a song played off the album live ever again.

Offline AltonDalton

• Refugee
  • My heads still in the mud, baby
Re: Why is No Line on the Horizon nonexistent?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 11:39:18 PM »
I agree completely. Moment of Surrender was a stunning 360 closer, and songs such as magnificent and breathe were songs that I'm sure most U2 fans would love to hear live. Heck, even get on your boots was a good live song. But I'm beginning to fear they will indeed forget about this album permanently, and gems such as moment of surrender will have dissappeared.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 12:45:04 AM »
They're not into doing it this time around?

Not the first time they ended up turning their backs on part of their past.

LightMyWay92

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 06:06:43 AM »
When you have a body of work as large as U2 has and only a 2 hour or so show to fit songs into, a lot of stuff is going to get left out unfortunately.  I'm sure they still like a bunch of "No Line.." songs, and probably a few of the songs from "Pop" too, but they can only put so many songs into a set.

Offline Lizard

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Heard a song that made some sense out of the world
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 07:42:17 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
With seventy six shows played, only once did a single No line on the horizon song make it into a setlist which is very disheartening to me. I consider that album to be my favorite of all time and live it can stand up to Achtung baby easily in my opinion. I know it didn't produce a massive hit, but who cares. I makes me deeply sad that U2 has become, as it seems, almost too afraid to play it, and because of that we may never hear a song played off the album live ever again.

I agree very much with you. I do like No line on the horizon and I would like to hear some of the songs played live. I even think that Stand up comedy would be a wonderful live song. They never played it as far as I know.

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 08:03:28 AM »
I agree completely. Moment of Surrender was a stunning 360 closer, and songs such as magnificent and breathe were songs that I'm sure most U2 fans would love to hear live. Heck, even get on your boots was a good live song. But I'm beginning to fear they will indeed forget about this album permanently, and gems such as moment of surrender will have dissappeared.

Yes, my hope for the next leg is that they will play POP and No Line again. I wonder if they said something about albums not being played? They can pull it off. Moment of surrender is great live.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 11:43:51 AM »
I think it's a prime example of an album that has some great tracks but they never really landed in a live setting.  U2 is all about the show and if the songs don't support that then sorry they get left out, regardless of how they may personally feel about them in their album state.

Yes the U2 fanatics want to hear some of them but the majority either don't or are indifferent to these songs.  I don't like it either but seems that's the way it is with U2

Behind the Barricade

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 11:50:42 AM »
I think NLOTH would have suited the B-stage section of the I+E show.

Offline snailstampede

• Wanderer
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 02:40:29 PM »
Magnificent showed up a few times in Europe, I believe. It was reworked and sounded better than the album, in my opinion. And at a Chicago show I attended Moment of Surrender served as a segue into Bad. I feel like those songs could work really well on the B stage (especially better than some of the SOI B-sides that wound up being performed). Here's hoping they look into it for the upcoming leg.

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 03:27:04 AM »
Magnificent showed up a few times in Europe, I believe. It was reworked and sounded better than the album, in my opinion. And at a Chicago show I attended Moment of Surrender served as a segue into Bad. I feel like those songs could work really well on the B stage (especially better than some of the SOI B-sides that wound up being performed). Here's hoping they look into it for the upcoming leg.

Yes indeed, they played it in Amsterdam. Sounded great. Like Your Blue room it should make the set list more often.

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 03:43:37 AM »
Unfortunately it will be nonexistent from now on.  I too would like to hear UC, MOS, Breathe, magnificent again but it is not going to happen.  Unfortunately with U2, once they tour an album, you will never hear the songs again.  They only carry the big songs (hits) that were on the album over to the next tour and we all know that NLOTH had no big songs and hits for the band.  Magnificent, I think only got one play in Europe.  Since SOI had no hits either you will not see any carry overs.  Mayber EBW gets played sparingly.  Again it will be SOE songs and the usual recycled hits we have all heard over and over.  At this stage I would take  GET ON YOU BOOTS over anything U2 played last time out that made the rest of the set other than the SOI songs.

Offline Mr. Red

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 06:20:15 PM »
When you have a body of work as large as U2 has and only a 2 hour or so show to fit songs into, a lot of stuff is going to get left out unfortunately.  I'm sure they still like a bunch of "No Line.." songs, and probably a few of the songs from "Pop" too, but they can only put so many songs into a set.

This could easily be solved if they can bring themselves to give up a lot of the theatre aspects of their shows where the songs have to fit into a particular sequence based upon video, etc. and thus be able to crank out a ton more songs from their catalog. But, this has for the most part been the way with U2 in that,  each tour is more like a play that follows a particular script. They have never been and never will be a "let's make the setlist the day of the show based upon what we are feeling" type of band and/or musicians. Would love to see them pull that off one tour but unfortunately, not likely.

Offline sharebear

• Babyface
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 10:06:41 PM »
I think NLOTH would have suited the B-stage section of the I+E show.

They soundchecked/rehearsed it several times, acoustic and electric. Decided it didn't work.

Offline JaraSangASongAWeapon

• Party Girl/Boy
  • And the moon turned red over One Tree Hill
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2016, 12:23:53 AM »
It's a much bigger deal that ASOH and EOCTT didn't get played in Dublin in November.

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2016, 03:30:28 PM »

This could easily be solved if they can bring themselves to give up a lot of the theatre aspects of their shows where the songs have to fit into a particular sequence based upon video, etc. and thus be able to crank out a ton more songs from their catalog. But, this has for the most part been the way with U2 in that,  each tour is more like a play that follows a particular script. They have never been and never will be a "let's make the setlist the day of the show based upon what we are feeling" type of band and/or musicians. Would love to see them pull that off one tour but unfortunately, not likely.
Sadly, I've reached the point now, and believe even if U2 gave up the big production style shows for the more stripped down production we would still get nothing but the usual static and rigid set list from them.  They just don't have any faith and confidence  in their back catalogue and too obsessed about being the biggest band in the world that they feel they can't mix it up to offer some variety but instead feel pressure to play the big tunes. 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 03:33:10 PM by boom boom »