Author Topic: Why is No Line on the Horizon nonexistent?  (Read 10295 times)

Offline jabw10

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you know...
Re: Why is No Line on the Horizon nonexistent?
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2016, 03:54:25 PM »
Maybe they are saving those songs for the experience tour? MOS, and many of those tracks are more in line, thematically, with experience than with innocence? More life experience/aged wisdom than youth?

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2016, 03:58:33 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Maybe they are saving those songs for the experience tour? MOS, and many of those tracks are more in line, thematically, with experience than with innocence? More life experience/aged wisdom than youth?
No, i bet we still get the usual recycled hits and staples next time out.  I learned my lesson.

Offline Kite32

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2016, 04:24:14 PM »

Anyone expecting songs from NLOTH are in for a long wait. It's possible they will play Magnificent again and possibly incorporate a snippet of MOS but if U2 perceive the masses don't like something they will drop it like a hot potato. Therein lies the eternal problem with U2 these days. They're too afraid to make challenging music and have thus become as bland as the corporations they were sending up on ZOOTV and POPMART.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2016, 05:26:37 PM »
No, i bet we still get the usual recycled hits and staples next time out.  I learned my lesson.

yeah I agree here.  I+E was the perfect environment to do some creative stuff with the back catalog.  If they could not figure it out then, they are unlikely to figure it out going forward. 

And I think it's less about lack of confidence in those songs than it is a lack of confidence in their ability to play them.  they are part time musicians now and quite frankly, it was embarrassing how they flubbed some of the more interesting tunes - even the new ones like Volcano and California.  They sounded awful.

Edgedisciple

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2016, 05:48:02 PM »
With seventy six shows played, only once did a single No line on the horizon song make it into a setlist which is very disheartening to me. I consider that album to be my favorite of all time and live it can stand up to Achtung baby easily in my opinion. I know it didn't produce a massive hit, but who cares. I makes me deeply sad that U2 has become, as it seems, almost too afraid to play it, and because of that we may never hear a song played off the album live ever again.

It's very improbable that any song from that record will be played live again. The band doesn't believe on it anymore and it never clicked with the majority of fans (me included).

Waffles

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2016, 12:33:40 AM »
Eh, I'd like to see boots, breathe and mos again. Magnificent is good too-the 360 version. IE version sucked

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2016, 01:54:05 AM »
Eh, I'd like to see boots, breathe and mos again. Magnificent is good too-the 360 version. IE version sucked

They played Magnificent in Amsterdam and i loved it. The crowd was into it. But i quess some songs just have a swing when played a certain way. They can do it next leg, and hit off with Mofo and Magnificent.

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2016, 05:47:32 AM »

They played Magnificent in Amsterdam and i loved it. The crowd was into it. But i quess some songs just have a swing when played a certain way. They can do it next leg, and hit off with Mofo and Magnificent.
don't hold your breath.  I wouldn't count on U2 cranking out songs off POP or NLOTH and even Zooropa any time soon.  Magnificent just got a one off play last time.  You may get snippets of songs or again a one off play like Magnificent.  At the most they might play acoustic SATS and Stay.  Anything more has a likelihood of happening as much as them doing 2 nights, 2 different shows.

iehomecoming

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2016, 08:30:58 AM »

yeah I agree here.  I+E was the perfect environment to do some creative stuff with the back catalog.  If they could not figure it out then, they are unlikely to figure it out going forward. 

And I think it's less about lack of confidence in those songs than it is a lack of confidence in their ability to play them.  they are part time musicians now and quite frankly, it was embarrassing how they flubbed some of the more interesting tunes - even the new ones like Volcano and California.  They sounded awful.

I'm not sure U2 actually ENJOY being musicians in the traditional sense of the word, of all the bands I've followed/follow I think they might be the only who have never toured just for the heck of it, it's always been in support of an album. Learning to play the new songs always seems to be a bit of a chore for them as does re-learning older stuff.

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2016, 10:32:32 AM »

don't hold your breath.  I wouldn't count on U2 cranking out songs off POP or NLOTH and even Zooropa any time soon.  Magnificent just got a one off play last time.  You may get snippets of songs or again a one off play like Magnificent.  At the most they might play acoustic SATS and Stay.  Anything more has a likelihood of happening as much as them doing 2 nights, 2 different shows.

Yeah ... i know.... but life with no hope is no life at all right. They will find a way to do a great show with a twist. We fans are just so spoiled, cause they always made an effort.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2016, 12:23:02 PM »
Moment of Surrender got a bunch of snippets and Magnificent was played once. It wasn't exactly ignored, which is what I expected it would be.

If Scarlet, Zooropa, and October of all songs can be dusted off and given regular setlist space, then anything is possible.

Offline Giga Razor

• Stateless
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2016, 04:17:45 PM »
Moment of Surrender got a bunch of snippets and Magnificent was played once. It wasn't exactly ignored, which is what I expected it would be.

If Scarlet, Zooropa, and October of all songs can be dusted off and given regular setlist space, then anything is possible.
Not quite the latter are good songs the former are not.Don't remember Scarlet been played on the I&E tour it was played on 360 alongside the  duds that is Nloth.Does anybody really want to hear boots,unknown caller,Nloth,Crazy tonight live again vast majority of fans don't and obviously U2 don't want to play them either MOS,Magnificent may get a reprieve on the next tour but that's it.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 04:27:26 PM by Giga Razor »

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2016, 04:34:40 PM »

Not quite the latter are good songs the former are not.Don't remember Scarlet been played on the I&E tour it was played on 360 alongside the  duds that is Nloth.Does anybody really want to hear boots,unknown caller,Nloth,Crazy tonight live again vast majority of fans don't and obviously U2 don't want to play them either MOS,Magnificent may get a reprieve on the next tour but that's it.

I agree.  And also, i think it's hysterical that this is your 'edited' post... wow - what did it read like before editing!

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2016, 05:32:41 AM »

right now I'd take them playing NLOTH in full rather than the boring, predictable, static and rigid setlist they are giving us time after time.  I'd take a setlist made up of just SOE, SOI, and NLOTH songs any day of the week than what we got on I&E tour which was just made of of 2/3 predictable hits and staples and warhorses. oh wait, they did play Two Hearts three times. ::)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 05:36:18 AM by boom boom »

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2016, 07:07:58 AM »
They've completely moved on from NLOTH. Larry hates it, rightfully so.