Author Topic: Why is No Line on the Horizon nonexistent?  (Read 10288 times)

Behind the Barricade

Re: Why is No Line on the Horizon nonexistent?
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2016, 09:27:24 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
We can carry on dreaming about The Playboy Mansion, a song that was only ever snippeted on the Popmart tour.  The song might work in a club, but not in an arena or stadium. 

The fact they rehearsed it prior to the start of their last tour shows that they at least considered its inclusion.

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2016, 02:45:19 AM »
We can carry on dreaming about The Playboy Mansion, a song that was only ever snippeted on the Popmart tour.  The song might work in a club, but not in an arena or stadium. 

I think Electric Co/Gloria/OOC was the Ultraviolet/TUF part of the SOI set, in terms of being a choice that chimed with the hardcore fans.  As for NLOTH I think Moment of Surrender works well live and would've made a good ending to the show.
I honestly think it feels really cheap that they consider those songs to be deep-cuts. Maybe casual fans aren't too familiar with them, but that doesn't necessarily make it a "deep-cut."
Agreed, been along too long for those to be deep cuts and they have been played also in the last couple of tours.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2016, 04:25:37 AM »

I think Electric Co/Gloria/OOC was the Ultraviolet/TUF part of the SOI set, in terms of being a choice that chimed with the hardcore fans.  As for NLOTH I think Moment of Surrender works well live and would've made a good ending to the show.
I honestly think it feels really cheap that they consider those songs to be deep-cuts. Maybe casual fans aren't too familiar with them, but that doesn't necessarily make it a "deep-cut."
Agreed, been along too long for those to be deep cuts and they have been played also in the last couple of tours.

Would love to hear the rehearsal of TPM - is it online?  The theme of the song doesn't suit SOI but would suit SOE. 

I am not sure what people expect re. "deep cuts".  Criticism here seems very subjective.  The Electric Co and Gloria hadn't been played for a decade.  Similarly when they played TUF and Ultraviolet it was the best past of 2 decades since either song had been in their live show.   It's highly unlikely they'll play songs off older albums they've never played before - if they considered these songs were too difficult to play or wouldn't work live at the time it is hard to think why they'd choose to play them now.

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2016, 05:44:04 AM »

Would love to hear the rehearsal of TPM - is it online?  The theme of the song doesn't suit SOI but would suit SOE. 

I am not sure what people expect re. "deep cuts".  Criticism here seems very subjective.  The Electric Co and Gloria hadn't been played for a decade.  Similarly when they played TUF and Ultraviolet it was the best past of 2 decades since either song had been in their live show.   It's highly unlikely they'll play songs off older albums they've never played before - if they considered these songs were too difficult to play or wouldn't work live at the time it is hard to think why they'd choose to play them now.
Deep cuts would be different for each person I guess.  It's just that I would classify Electric Co and Out of control as "go to" songs whenever they what to play something of Boy. U2 have their go to songs for each album, Gloria being the one from October.  when they play something that is not a "go to song" I would consider that a deep cut.  Not saying EC and OOC are bad choices but just not deep cuts for me.  Now UF and UV are songs U2 typically don't play and are not "go to" songs from those particular albums that is why most consider it a deep cut when played on 360.  A lot of people say well the played Bad on this tour as a deep cut.  I don't consider Bad either as a deep cut because it is more of a again those "go to" songs off of the Unforgettable Fire album with the other being Pride.  Just my take on it.  Now Two Heart everyone considers a deep cut because obviously it has not been played for a very long time and it is not the go to songs of the war album that U2 rely on which of obviously SBS, NYD and "40"
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 05:51:28 AM by boom boom »

Offline garyu2

• Stateless
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2016, 11:17:06 AM »
NLOTH is non existent because it's crap. No big songs (some of U2's most embarrassing material ever actually).

If only that album was truly non-existent.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2016, 01:18:55 PM »

Deep cuts would be different for each person I guess.  It's just that I would classify Electric Co and Out of control as "go to" songs whenever they what to play something of Boy. U2 have their go to songs for each album, Gloria being the one from October.  when they play something that is not a "go to song" I would consider that a deep cut.  Not saying EC and OOC are bad choices but just not deep cuts for me.  Now UF and UV are songs U2 typically don't play and are not "go to" songs from those particular albums that is why most consider it a deep cut when played on 360.  A lot of people say well the played Bad on this tour as a deep cut.  I don't consider Bad either as a deep cut because it is more of a again those "go to" songs off of the Unforgettable Fire album with the other being Pride.  Just my take on it.  Now Two Heart everyone considers a deep cut because obviously it has not been played for a very long time and it is not the go to songs of the war album that U2 rely on which of obviously SBS, NYD and "40"

Two Hearts was the second single off War; TUF was the 2nd single off TUF.  Electric Co. was never a single.  I don't rate Two Hearts so was glad I didn't get a show where it was played.  I suppose the choice of Scarlet on 360 was what we could all agree was a "deep cut"; it's a pity that Bono spoke over it so much, rather than let the music stand on its own.

Behind the Barricade

« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2016, 06:16:59 PM »
I'd love an extended version of 4th of July in the middle of my next U2 show and I really hope Bono doesn't spoil it by talking over it.

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2016, 01:44:13 PM »
NLOTH is non-existent in the way Pop is non-existent. Not because it's bad - in fact NLOTH was more consistent than any album since "Pop" - the reason the songs don't get played is because the band are very populist and don't play many / any songs from low-selling records. "Please" would've fit completely inside the I+E theme, but they never touched it. However, looking at the #setlistgeek stats it's fairly clear the band played a LOT of songs, albeit not very often, and inside the same rigid setlist structure they've used throughout their entire lives. I do wish they'd played many of the songs more often. BUt if we look at Europe alone, they closed a LOT of shows with "40" for the first time in Europe since January 1990, and in my firsts there were around 10 old songs I saw them play for the first time on this tour.

Offline Cam501

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2016, 11:48:32 AM »
Eh, I'd like to see boots, breathe and mos again. Magnificent is good too-the 360 version. IE version sucked

They played Magnificent in Amsterdam and i loved it. The crowd was into it. But i quess some songs just have a swing when played a certain way. They can do it next leg, and hit off with Mofo and Magnificent.
don't hold your breath.  I wouldn't count on U2 cranking out songs off POP or NLOTH and even Zooropa any time soon.  Magnificent just got a one off play last time.  You may get snippets of songs or again a one off play like Magnificent.  At the most they might play acoustic SATS and Stay.  Anything more has a likelihood of happening as much as them doing 2 nights, 2 different shows.

I'd be happy if they dumped acoustic anything from the sets.  They're almost always inferior imo.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2016, 12:36:30 PM »
I agree that U2 should not devalue their excellent work on Pop and NLOTH.  Some of those songs are very deserving of live play.

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2016, 07:01:36 AM »
I agree that U2 should not devalue their excellent work on Pop and NLOTH.  Some of those songs are very deserving of live play.

Yeah, lots of diamonds and Pearls here. They have such a big choice in their own material. I would love to hear some more special and good songs live next time.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2016, 06:05:22 PM »
I wouldn't mind hearing "Breathe", "Moment of Surrender" and "Fez" being revitalized.  "Magnificent" and "No Line" would be great, too.  Also...it would be wonderful to hear a resurrected "Mofo" or "Do you Feel Loved".

Offline Spaderholic

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2016, 06:14:48 PM »
NLOTH is one of my favourite U2 albums. I think it's a shame they seem to ignore it. Same with Pop, another of my faves.

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2016, 02:16:30 AM »
NLOTH is one of my favourite U2 albums. I think it's a shame they seem to ignore it. Same with Pop, another of my faves.

I have the feeling it's gonna be played next leg.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2016, 01:04:24 PM »
Eh, I'd like to see boots, breathe and mos again. Magnificent is good too-the 360 version. IE version sucked

They played Magnificent in Amsterdam and i loved it. The crowd was into it. But i quess some songs just have a swing when played a certain way. They can do it next leg, and hit off with Mofo and Magnificent.
don't hold your breath.  I wouldn't count on U2 cranking out songs off POP or NLOTH and even Zooropa any time soon.  Magnificent just got a one off play last time.  You may get snippets of songs or again a one off play like Magnificent.  At the most they might play acoustic SATS and Stay.  Anything more has a likelihood of happening as much as them doing 2 nights, 2 different shows.

I'd be happy if they dumped acoustic anything from the sets.  They're almost always inferior imo.

agreed, the one exception I can think of is Stay. 

acoustic EBW was absolutely terrible on the last tour.  It gets love around here and I just don't understand it.