Author Topic: Why is No Line on the Horizon nonexistent?  (Read 10289 times)

Offline garyu2

• Stateless
Re: Why is No Line on the Horizon nonexistent?
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2016, 12:48:56 PM »
It's a sh** album in my opinion and hardly ANY of the songs did anything live.

Bury those songs.

Offline Cam501

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2016, 08:42:48 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Bury those songs.

It's far from their finest, but take it over SOI any day.  SOI has crap filler like Song For Someone which is worse than anything on NLOTH imo.

Waffles

« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2016, 10:29:31 AM »

Bury those songs.

It's far from their finest, but take it over SOI any day.  SOI has crap filler like Song For Someone which is worse than anything on NLOTH imo.

That hurts my feelings. I have NLOTH in my car but SFS is going to be my wedding song

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2016, 11:14:05 AM »

Bury those songs.

That hurts my feelings. I have NLOTH in my car but SFS is going to be my wedding song

A wise choice... the song title allows you to keep your options open.  If your fiancee pisses you off, then just find a new someone to dance with...

Offline garyu2

• Stateless
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2016, 01:25:20 PM »
We are battling over opinions of course....but.....SOI to me, was 100 times the album that NLOTH was.

There isn't a single melody on NLOTH that it is likeable. But I enjoy (to varying degrees) every single song on SOI.

Iris is wonderful. Its a song that means something. I love Raised By Wolves. The Troubles is sublime. And those tracks got even better on tour. SOI felt like a return to form for EVERYONE. Adam Clayton's work on this album is some of his best (Iris again). Bono didn't feel pretentious (Cedars of Lebanon!?...Get On Your Boots!??)....I was engaged with him on SOI.

Offline Cam501

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2016, 02:50:07 PM »
Initially I kind of liked SOI, but the luster wore off quickly for me. I'm down with keeping Iris around for the next tour but I'm OK with dumping most other SOI tracks.  That being said, even though I like NLOTH better and think it's a halfway decent album, it's still a relatively low ranking album I'm the whole U2 catalog for me.  The 90s albums make up 3 of my top 4 U2 albums.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2016, 03:09:21 PM »
acoustic EBW was absolutely terrible on the last tour.  It gets love around here and I just don't understand it.

I prefer the live acoustic version for a couple reasons. First, when played that way it highlights just how melancholy the song is, and second, the album version is too sappy to do the song justice.

The official version is completely forgettable, while the live version is haunting.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
« Reply #82 on: July 11, 2016, 04:02:17 PM »
acoustic EBW was absolutely terrible on the last tour.  It gets love around here and I just don't understand it.

I prefer the live acoustic version for a couple reasons. First, when played that way it highlights just how melancholy the song is, and second, the album version is too sappy to do the song justice.

The official version is completely forgettable, while the live version is haunting.

I like the album version but I totally get your POV.

Offline Spaderholic

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2016, 07:16:29 PM »
I wish they'd perform a lot of NLOTH songs live. It's my favourite album of U2's since Pop. So many excellent songs on it.

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2016, 03:07:50 AM »
I wish they'd perform a lot of NLOTH songs live. It's my favourite album of U2's since Pop. So many excellent songs on it.

Yeah i hope they do next leg. They did not play it last year, and now we are going into the Experience part of the shows. That may just happen, i love Magnificent !!

LightMyWay92

« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2016, 08:45:28 PM »
I've actually been listening to No Line recently.  I really enjoy a lot if it, but It's fairly easy to see why it was (relatively) unsuccessful.  To my ears, the really strong songs (for me) like the title track, Magnificent, MOS, Breathe and even Unknown Caller (I know a few fans don't care for it) have no real commercial potential.  On the other hand, the songs with commercial potential, like Boots and Crazy Tonight, were just too annoying (in my opinion) to be successful.  I agree that SOI is a stronger, much more consistent set of songs. 

Offline Cam501

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2016, 07:20:32 AM »
I've actually been listening to No Line recently.  I really enjoy a lot if it, but It's fairly easy to see why it was (relatively) unsuccessful.  To my ears, the really strong songs (for me) like the title track, Magnificent, MOS, Breathe and even Unknown Caller (I know a few fans don't care for it) have no real commercial potential.  On the other hand, the songs with commercial potential, like Boots and Crazy Tonight, were just too annoying (in my opinion) to be successful.  I agree that SOI is a stronger, much more consistent set of songs.

Just curious what it is it you like about SOI?  I think it's a weak album to the point I enjoy both NLOTH and HTDAAB more than it.  I really only listen to Iris, Cedarwood and now RBW.  Miracle could have been good but it's overproduced.  Otherwise the album is forgettable to me with the exception of SFS.  I can't seem to get over vocalizingmy hatred for that song.  It's crap and makes a mediocre song like Boots look like gold in comparison.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2016, 08:30:06 AM »

Agreed. I think those are the strongest points on the album and are definitely ones that don't make the album a complete disappointment for me.

Otherwise the album is forgettable to me with the exception of SFS.  I can't seem to get over vocalizingmy hatred for that song.  It's crap and makes a mediocre song like Boots look like gold in comparison.

It was my least favorite song when I first heard SOI, but ironically, hearing it live allowed me to appreciate it a bit more in the long run. Still not my favorite on the album, but I'd say it has more redeeming values than Boots.

LightMyWay92

« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2016, 11:52:52 AM »
Some for Someone is in my opinion far better than Boots.  It's a heartfelt song, well written, but I can see how the sappy sentimentality of it could be off-putting to some people.  I liked it to a degree when SOI was new, but I like it more now that I've seen the live performance and understand it in the context of the young Bono writing a song for his future wife.  I must be sentimental:)  Of course if I wasn't sentimental, I wouldn't really enjoy listening U2 would I?  I don't know if there has ever been a more emotional, heart-on-sleeve band.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 11:57:42 AM by LightMyWay92 »

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2016, 01:06:50 PM »

Agreed. I think those are the strongest points on the album and are definitely ones that don't make the album a complete disappointment for me.

Otherwise the album is forgettable to me with the exception of SFS.  I can't seem to get over vocalizingmy hatred for that song.  It's crap and makes a mediocre song like Boots look like gold in comparison.

It was my least favorite song when I first heard SOI, but ironically, hearing it live allowed me to appreciate it a bit more in the long run. Still not my favorite on the album, but I'd say it has more redeeming values than Boots.

Boots has no redeeming value.  None. 

It will never even be mentioned again by any band member, much less played live.  Just typing or seeing its title, in any form, makes my head hurt.