Author Topic: Why is No Line on the Horizon nonexistent?  (Read 10297 times)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Re: Why is No Line on the Horizon nonexistent?
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2016, 03:40:38 PM »
Boots > SFS

Neither are good but Boots is at least the sound of a rock n roll band trying to do something interesting....SFS is Boyzone or some other sappy MOR pop group at their blandest and dullest.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2016, 04:02:30 PM »
Boots is definitely the sound of something, that is for sure...

Offline mrsamrocks2

• Numb
« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2016, 04:12:26 PM »
Boots was great live. I'd love to hear it again. I would enjoy it more than Desire, Angel of Harlem or some songs they played to death like Pride or I Still Haven't found. By the way, I really SFS too.

LightMyWay92

« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2016, 06:19:12 PM »
That almost makes me glad that I only saw U2 live once in my 33 years of being a fan.  I can't imagine ever wanting to hear Boots over Pride or other classics. 
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 06:26:43 PM by LightMyWay92 »

Offline mrsamrocks2

• Numb
« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2016, 08:36:46 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
That almost makes me glad that I only saw U2 live once in my 33 years of being a fan.  I can't imagine ever wanting to hear Boots over Pride or other classics. 
On 360 in particular, it was quite obvious that the band were bored of playing Pride and ISHFWILF but they played Boots with a lot more energy and it made it a lot more interesting and exciting to hear.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2016, 09:29:46 PM »
On 360 in particular, it was quite obvious that the band were bored of playing Pride and ISHFWILF but they played Boots with a lot more energy and it made it a lot more interesting and exciting to hear.

At the 3 360 shows I was at, the Boots performances were like moments on the freeway when you saw a really bad car wreck and could not do anything but stare, and hope the poor passengers made it out alive.

Offline Cam501

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #96 on: August 06, 2016, 11:24:23 AM »
Boots > SFS

Neither are good but Boots is at least the sound of a rock n roll band trying to do something interesting....SFS is Boyzone or some other sappy MOR pop group at their blandest and dullest.
SFS < nearly the entire catalog

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #97 on: August 06, 2016, 02:59:48 PM »
Boots > SFS

SFS < nearly the entire catalog

A reasonable point

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #98 on: August 08, 2016, 07:48:43 PM »
I don't really mind "Boots" or SFS, although neither is their best work.  The "let me in the sound" part of "Boots" was pretty cool.  Also, SFS has some sweet and very heartfelt moments.

Offline georgemccauley

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2016, 05:36:27 PM »
We are battling over opinions of course....but.....SOI to me, was 100 times the album that NLOTH was.

There isn't a single melody on NLOTH that it is likeable. But I enjoy (to varying degrees) every single song on SOI.

Iris is wonderful. Its a song that means something. I love Raised By Wolves. The Troubles is sublime. And those tracks got even better on tour. SOI felt like a return to form for EVERYONE. Adam Clayton's work on this album is some of his best (Iris again). Bono didn't feel pretentious (Cedars of Lebanon!?...Get On Your Boots!??)....I was engaged with him on SOI.

I think NLOTH vs SOI debate could be one of fiercest ones yet. Whilst I agree partly on the melody side on thing that does disappoint me slightly is that SOI is basically a pop album, some of these songs are very stripped back, almost bare and it's a departure from a very Rocky album such as NLOTH. Because I prefer rockier, guitar heavier U2, NLOTH is superior to SOI in my own personal opinion.

It's quite poor that Cedarwood Road seems to be the only real rock song on the album... I suppose you could include Joey but that's borderline at best!

Offline georgemccauley

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2016, 05:43:03 PM »
With the Experience leg of the tour fast approaching, many if not all tracks from NLOH could fit the bill on the set list next year. I only hope I get to hear that they are rehearsing Breathe (the original version from 360 tour) and hopefully they take it forward and make it a regular in their sets next year.

It's such a killer, attitude filled rock song. U2 at their very best and I'd love to hear it live next year when I attend my very first U2 show somewhere in the UK :)

Offline anthonyintijuana72

• Babyface
« Reply #101 on: September 21, 2016, 08:34:23 AM »
Breathe was such a killer opener..so sad that there are so many classic songs that u2 never plays.

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #102 on: September 22, 2016, 05:40:11 AM »
Breathe was such a killer opener..so sad that there are so many classic songs that u2 never plays.

Yeah, i liked it. NLOTH will suit the experience part of next tour leg.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #103 on: September 22, 2016, 07:36:12 AM »
I love the intro to Breathe.