Author Topic: U2 in studio with Ryan Tedder and pharallel williams  (Read 5967 times)

Offline MR. Upson_Pratt

• Wanderer
  • There's not going to be any more DAMN BUGS
Re: U2 in studio with Ryan Tedder and pharallel williams
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2016, 11:48:21 PM »
At this point is there anyone members of U2 have not been in the studio with? They better get themselves checked out regularly to make sure they're disease free. Hate to think they might pass on something unpleasant to the next unsuspecting producer.

PookaMacP

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2016, 12:06:35 AM »
It's always dangerous to read too much into these things - particularly since we haven't heard a note from what they've recorded - but from what's been suggested by the snippets we do have over the last few weeks, it doesn't bode well for the new record.

Why? (1) The Edge's comments about 50 beginnings sound very familiar to the year-it-all-up-and-start-again routine we've witnessed more than once over the past thirteen years.
(2) Tedder's track record: the songs he was involved with on SOI have such limp production. (Though in his defence the wonderful chorus melody on Every Breaking Wave does appear to have been his idea.)
(3) Pharell. Now don't get me wrong, the man has a great ear for a pop tune (apart from Happy, see 'Frontin' that he recorded with Jay-Z years ago). My concern is what this symbolises for U2: a continued attempt to chase the pop relevance bandwagon, to force themselves into ever blander corners (anyone want another Song For Someone?), and to dilute the identity of the new record with another mish-mash of producers.

Of course, it's entirely possible that I'm over-reacting. And, of course, one should reserve judgement until the record's actually out. But from this vantage point things don't look good.

Offline MR. Upson_Pratt

• Wanderer
  • There's not going to be any more DAMN BUGS
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2016, 12:31:40 AM »
I think all we know for sure now is they spent time working with Andy Barlow of Lamb. However I believe this was just prior to the tour kicking off, and because we haven't heard anything else about the connection since then(other than recycled news blurbs) it might be safe to assume they've gone in a different direction again.

So who knows who they're working with now. For all I know, there may be up to half a dozen producers who are credited on the next album. I'm sure this would unfortunately not surprise some of us.

My preference would be for them to work with someone(singular, or possible a duo) they haven't worked with before. Someone who can push and challenge the band and get something fresh or raw out of them - if they were to allow and be open to it. Some new blood could bring much needed vitality. Unfortunately, I feel like U2 want to work with producers who will make them feel comfortable as opposed to challenged.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2016, 02:06:15 AM »
It's ok, Eno and Lanois told U2 they can see other producers. It's an open relationship.

Offline goldtoad

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2016, 08:43:23 AM »
One thing I do like about the photo is Bono seems to have his 90s swagger back. 
That is the attitude he needs to have on SOE. 

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2016, 10:53:00 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

He does look pretty cool there. Those tinted Aviators were just hideous.

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2016, 11:52:50 AM »
Ryan's hair is f****** awful. That look was sh** in 1991 and he's trying to pull it off 25 years later..just a matter of taste I guess.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2016, 06:43:51 PM »
Ryan's hair is f****** awful. That look was sh** in 1991 and he's trying to pull it off 25 years later..just a matter of taste I guess.

Edge and Pharrell didn't swap hats, but at least Tedder and Bono swapped hair!

Waffles

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2016, 09:34:19 PM »

Looked worse when it was on bono

Offline goldtoad

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2016, 11:08:59 AM »

I agree that Bono does not look good in aviator style sunglasses... most people don't.   The singer formerly known as "The Fly" needs to make a return and throw away all his aviators and also that suit coat he wore during the last tour.  The Fly would also know that the best songs on SOI weren't Song for Someone and Every Breaking Wave.  He would also kick the current Bono and The Edge in the a$$ and tell them to get in studio and finish SOE. 

Offline MPare1966

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Trying to throw my arms around the world.
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2016, 11:23:00 PM »
This guy, right?

Offline JHook

• Numb
  • Your voice was all I heard.
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2016, 08:19:52 AM »

Looked worse when it was on bono

Respectfully, bull****.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2016, 10:00:44 AM »
I still want them to work with Nigel Godrich.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2016, 11:05:06 AM »
I'd like them to work with Butch Vig I think he could awaken the rhythm section especially Larry.

Interesting piece here on his style...

« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 11:13:29 AM by an tha »

Offline rubbersoul

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2016, 11:28:38 AM »

I agree that Bono does not look good in aviator style sunglasses... most people don't.   The singer formerly known as "The Fly" needs to make a return and throw away all his aviators and also that suit coat he wore during the last tour.  The Fly would also know that the best songs on SOI weren't Song for Someone and Every Breaking Wave.  He would also kick the current Bono and The Edge in the a$$ and tell them to get in studio and finish SOE. 

Amen