Author Topic: U2 plays an album start-to-finish on tour: Which one would you want it to be?  (Read 7440 times)

Offline Kite32

• Headache in a Suitcase
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I get the desire to hear Pop or AB but given how bad the band were on the last tour when they tried to play anything other than straight up rockers does anyone really want to hear them attempt Pop?  They barely were able to play them on Popmart...
They were completely underrehearsed for that tour, though.

They sounded pretty solid playing the songs from POP at the POPMART show I was at

WookieeWarrior10

I get the desire to hear Pop or AB but given how bad the band were on the last tour when they tried to play anything other than straight up rockers does anyone really want to hear them attempt Pop?  They barely were able to play them on Popmart...

They sounded pretty solid playing the songs from POP at the POPMART show I was at
True, later in the tour they were able to play them rather well, I thought. Listening to Pop songs from shows like Leeds or Santiago prove this.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
SOI / insert the name of the latest U2 album.

Pass on the whole "full OLD album" shtick that is rock dinosaur teritorry.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.

True, later in the tour they were able to play them rather well, I thought. Listening to Pop songs from shows like Leeds or Santiago prove this.

fair enough regarding the later shows of that tour.  But that was almost 19 years ago.

The band from last year were horrendous with the more experimental stuff, which to their credit they recognized, and abandoned.

I can't imagine how terrible it would be to hear them attempt UF, AB, Zoo or Pop in their entirety.  No thanks.

Offline Cam501

• Headache in a Suitcase
I don't want them to ever consider doing an album straight through on tour.  It's bad enough other bands do it.

Offline Mr. Red

• Headache in a Suitcase
I don't want them to ever consider doing an album straight through on tour.  It's bad enough other bands do it.

I suppose you've never been to a Pearl Jam show then.......

Offline Cam501

• Headache in a Suitcase

I suppose you've never been to a Pearl Jam show then.......
I have once, but nonetheless don't care for it when any band does it and I hope U2 never does it.

Offline Spaderholic

• Party Girl/Boy
I'm not really into bands doing a whole album in track listing order live like that. Achtung Baby and The Joshua Tree are by far my favourite albums and it would obviously be amazing to hear them live, but only if they would play them with a real desire and passion to do so and wouldn't just be going through the motions. I prefer a mix up of songs in a show, generally though, not all songs just from one album. I know a lot of artists do that when it's the anniversary of a particular popular album of theirs. I've never been to a show like that. The closest I've got to a show where I knew which track was coming next was Blur's Greatest Hits tour in 2000. They played every single, from their debut single to their most recent in chronological order, so I knew exactly what was coming up next. It was strange, to say the least! All the crowd were teasing Graham Coxon just before they were due to play Country House because every fan knew he hated that song with a passion, lol!

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
I'm not really into bands doing a whole album in track listing order live like that. Achtung Baby and The Joshua Tree are by far my favourite albums and it would obviously be amazing to hear them live, but only if they would play them with a real desire and passion to do so and wouldn't just be going through the motions. I prefer a mix up of songs in a show, generally though, not all songs just from one album. I know a lot of artists do that when it's the anniversary of a particular popular album of theirs. I've never been to a show like that. The closest I've got to a show where I knew which track was coming next was Blur's Greatest Hits tour in 2000. They played every single, from their debut single to their most recent in chronological order, so I knew exactly what was coming up next. It was strange, to say the least! All the crowd were teasing Graham Coxon just before they were due to play Country House because every fan knew he hated that song with a passion, lol!

To be fair, Country House is a truly awful song.

Offline Spaderholic

• Party Girl/Boy

To be fair, Country House is a truly awful song.

It's certainly not their finest hour and Graham certainly agrees with that, lol! He was smirking and cringeing all the way through their performance of it at the gig I went to. It was pretty funny actually and the band teased him about it. You could almost see the relief on his face when they finished playing it! :D

Offline georgemccauley

• Party Girl/Boy
The Joshua Tree OR No Line On The Horizon

:)

Offline JaraSangASongAWeapon

• Party Girl/Boy
  • And the moon turned red over One Tree Hill
The Unforgettable Fire.

Offline mrsamrocks2

• Numb

This

Offline Cam501

• Headache in a Suitcase

This
Yes! Yes! Yes!  I'm not crazy about SOI but that's not the point.  Don't get me wrong, I love hearing some old hits at a show but also give me a decent amount of new material too.

Offline Spaderholic

• Party Girl/Boy
How about U2 performing the whole of SOMEONE ELSE'S classic album, just for a laugh? Like the Sex Pistols' Never Mind the B's, for example! How crazy would that be? I'd be up for it anyway. Would be a scream! ;D