Author Topic: U2's Most Polarising Album.  (Read 5044 times)

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
Re: U2's Most Polarising Album.
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2016, 03:21:03 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Is......?

For my money it has to be Pop - there are people (like myself) who consider it right up there at the very top of the tree in the bands cannon....but then as evidenced by the poll currently running about u2's worst album (albeit a very small sample) where it is running in the bottom 2 or 3 popularity wise, there are people who see it as the nadir of the bands output...

That small poll and my personal opinion aside - it does to me seem to really divide the fan base like no other and very rarely seems to attract indifference.

It seems to be hated, adored but never ignored and I feel that here and in general it is the bands most polarising album...the one that seems to spark off the strongest feelings at opposite ends of the spectrum.

What say you? Is it Pop that polarises the most or another album?

POP, for me, was the album that ended the experimental era for U2. They had previously loved the idea of unique concept albums, sometimes awesome works like Unforgettable Fire, Joshua tree, Achtung Baby, Passengers, Zooropa. Sometimes not so great - Rattle and Hum, POP.

Since POP, U2 has pivoted. When they get experimental, they pull themselves back. Hence the mediocrity of the early 00's work, the pull-back from NLOTH's originally more experimental sound and the rejection of the Rick Rubin and Songs of Ascent albums. All of that second guessing started with the ridicule they got from POP.

As for the album itself, it's not their worst. MOFO, Please, Wake up dead man, Gone and Velvet Dress are great songs. However, I think the album has a lot of mediocre work on it. Discotheque is awful, If god would send his angels is tepid, Last Night on Earth and Do you feel loved are ok, staring at the sun is weak, Miami and Playboy Mansion are meh. If I compare it to Zooropa and Achtung, Baby, I can't rate it.

And Pop did not benefit from the terrible, cringe inducing gigs that were supposed to showcase the songs.   Very much a shame because if they had done something to really highlight the sonic adventurousness of the album, its reputation might have been saved.

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2016, 03:48:43 PM »
Gotta' go with Pop. It doesn't feel like it, but over half of the people on this forum hate it while the others love it. We've got a very vocal group of Pop lovers but hardly anyone that says anything against it.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2016, 04:48:35 PM »
Gotta' go with Pop. It doesn't feel like it, but over half of the people on this forum hate it while the others love it. We've got a very vocal group of Pop lovers but hardly anyone that says anything against it.

that's just because they're all too MOR American...

Borack

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2016, 07:51:04 PM »
Zooropa.

Some people would state that it was a bold and great record after the roundabout or traffic circle of Achtung Baby ... But some others would still say it was a trip on the wrong route or into a "wrong" direction. A good topic and some great views. Many thanks and be well.

Note: I just discovered that ShankAsu made the same point as mine during a previous post. Apologies for the repeat observation.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 02:33:40 AM by Borack »

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2016, 11:32:32 PM »
Wow what a surprise ..... A thread about U2's most polarizing album turns nasty.....go figure...

For me it's POP by a long shot. And I blame POP for killing experimental U2. Since then, we've had moments of surrender, pardon the pun, but otherwise, a disciplined effort to stick to the formula.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2016, 11:37:48 PM »
Wow what a surprise ..... A thread about U2's most polarizing album turns nasty.....go figure...

For me it's POP by a long shot. And I blame POP for killing experimental U2. Since then, we've had moments of surrender, pardon the pun, but otherwise, a disciplined effort to stick to the formula.

where did it turn nasty? 

if by chance you are referring to my last post, well that was very tongue in cheek... not meant to be serious whatsoever....

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2016, 05:03:47 AM »

... It seems to be hated, adored but never ignored

The band quite happily ignore it.  Maybe that's the real gripe here - you imagine that there's an army of fans out there who hate the album when in reality its only a certain number of people who resent the fact that the band no longer play material off it, who create this straw man of the "anti-Pop" U2 fan? 

I can't say I saw half as many U2 fans complain that Discotheque or SATS weren't played on the last couple of tours, as I witnessed Kate Bush fans crying over the omission of Wuthering Heights at her shows a couple of years back.  Maybe the fact that fans aren't complaining *enough* is the compelling evidence that they're polarised against the album?

You really do seem to look for a barney at times when there isn't one - it is that love hate relationship of ours i think  :).......it was a question with me providing my answer.

Feel free to provide your own rather than look for a barney with me over mine though  :D

There is no 'gripe' as you put it....

That said you raise an interesting point that maybe the general public are either meh about Pop or simply don't really know about it....that is a discussion point on it's own but maybe if it isn't well known or most people are meh about it then it isn't their most polarising - that of course is hard to 'prove'....i suppose for the purposes of this thread it is probably best to stick to judging by the impression we hold from our interactions here and anywhere else we may engage with other fans...

From what i have read i stand by my original suggestion that it is Pop - I am interested in what you think it is (if you believe there is one)

Keep in mind polarising means opposite emotions/opinion -  to cause people to adopt extreme opposing positions: to polarise opinion......you only seem to have focused on perceived dislike or making a point out of me perceiving  some dislike.....the reason i nominated Pop was because it is the album that i see the most extreme emotions for - namely the most vocal love and the most vocal criticism although not always here, here it seems to get silently killed like picking up the 2nd most votes in a worst album poll (along with behind and bomb) so therefore the most polarising taking into account those opposite views and how strong they are.

It seems to be the album the critics either laud or write off the most - again the opposite ends of the spectrum...

No barney between fans who think Pop is U2’s greatest moments, and those who don’t?  Well, there wouldn’t be if there wasn’t a recurrent and highly tedious attempt to deride people who like anything the band made in the 15 years after Pop as somehow MOR  music fans.  You never find fans of October bewailing those who don't share a taste for it as numpties with no ability to appreciate cutting-edge, elite music.  As such I am going to label ATYCLB the most polarising album, but only on this MB.  Among the wider field I find very few critics or listeners who see ATYCLB as “The Great Betrayal”, but here it definitely is seen that way. 

Offline redrunningred

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2016, 06:48:53 AM »

The band quite happily ignore it.  Maybe that's the real gripe here - you imagine that there's an army of fans out there who hate the album when in reality its only a certain number of people who resent the fact that the band no longer play material off it, who create this straw man of the "anti-Pop" U2 fan? 

I can't say I saw half as many U2 fans complain that Discotheque or SATS weren't played on the last couple of tours, as I witnessed Kate Bush fans crying over the omission of Wuthering Heights at her shows a couple of years back.  Maybe the fact that fans aren't complaining *enough* is the compelling evidence that they're polarised against the album?

You really do seem to look for a barney at times when there isn't one - it is that love hate relationship of ours i think  :).......it was a question with me providing my answer.

Feel free to provide your own rather than look for a barney with me over mine though  :D

That said you raise an interesting point that maybe the general public are either meh about Pop or simply don't really know about it....that is a discussion point on it's own but maybe if it isn't well known or most people are meh about it then it isn't their most polarising - that of course is hard to 'prove'....i suppose for the purposes of this thread it is probably best to stick to judging by the impression we hold from our interactions here and anywhere else we may engage with other fans...

From what i have read i stand by my original suggestion that it is Pop - I am interested in what you think it is (if you believe there is one)

Keep in mind polarising means opposite emotions/opinion -  to cause people to adopt extreme opposing positions: to polarise opinion......you only seem to have focused on perceived dislike or making a point out of me perceiving  some dislike.....the reason i nominated Pop was because it is the album that i see the most extreme emotions for - namely the most vocal love and the most vocal criticism although not always here, here it seems to get silently killed like picking up the 2nd most votes in a worst album poll (along with behind and bomb) so therefore the most polarising taking into account those opposite views and how strong they are.

It seems to be the album the critics either laud or write off the most - again the opposite ends of the spectrum...

No barney between fans who think Pop is U2’s greatest moments, and those who don’t?  Well, there wouldn’t be if there wasn’t a recurrent and highly tedious attempt to deride people who like anything the band made in the 15 years after Pop as somehow MOR  music fans.  You never find fans of October bewailing those who don't share a taste for it as numpties with no ability to appreciate cutting-edge, elite music.  As such I am going to label ATYCLB the most polarising album, but only on this MB.  Among the wider field I find very few critics or listeners who see ATYCLB as “The Great Betrayal”, but here it definitely is seen that way.

I would disagree. I agree that quite often on this forum, the post pop era is seen as sub par, but I don't see its advocates as derided. As a huge fan of U2's 21st century output, I don't feel derided, just disagreed with.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 10:11:30 AM by redrunningred »

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2016, 07:26:18 AM »
We could look at this quasi-scientifically by examining at the numbers from the latest @U2 Fan Survey.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login 

To develop a list of albums which are most polarizing, I looked at albums where the percentage of U2 fans who took the survey were above 2.00% in both the “what’s your favorite U2 album,” and “what’s your least favorite U2 album” questions.   There were only four U2 albums that fit this criteria:  Zooropa, Pop, All That You Can’t Leave Behind, and Songs of Innocence.

Each album/%most favorite/%least favorite:
Zooropa/2.48%/3.83%
Pop/3.00%/9.08%
All That You Can’t Leave Behind/3.96%/2.41%
Songs of Innocence/2.59%/3.23%

Then, I looked at the difference between each number – the bigger the difference in the number, the more polarizing:
Pop:  12.08%
All That You Can’t Leave Behind:  6.37%
Zooropa:  6.31%
Songs of Innocence:  5.82%

So using this method, the most polarizing album is Pop, by a landslide. 

The interesting aberration is All That You Can’t Leave Behind, which is the only album of the four on the list where the percentage of U2 fans who said it was their favorite was higher than those who said it was their least favorite.  Of course, this is no means really scientific – it’s just based on people who are probably fairly highly devout U2 fans who happened to be on the @U2 site to take the survey during the time it was open.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 08:14:18 AM by Vox »

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2016, 11:03:13 AM »

How you perceive things is how you perceive them...nobody else can really change that.

I am not sure who exactly you are aiming your cannon at for 'deriding' you and others but i hope it isn't me....

I personally have and will criticise u2's 00's albums...i have never and won't 'deride' people for liking them....criticising the music and deriding people who like it are two very different things....

The issue here seems to be that you appear to see the criticism of the music as derision of you.....that is something you perceive and therefore something you clearly believe to be true - that is for you to handle.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2016, 11:25:55 AM »
I'd say it's either Pop or ATYLCB.  One is praised by the die-hard "90's fans" while being derided by fans of their mainstream work, and one is praised by the fans of their most recent swerve to the pop mainstream, and derided by the "90's fans".

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2016, 11:35:30 AM »
I don't think Pop is particularly polarizing. Fans that liked 'old' u2 had already moved on with Achtung or zooropa.

As we see almost daily on this site, it has to be ATYCLB

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2016, 03:13:57 PM »

How you perceive things is how you perceive them...nobody else can really change that.

I am not sure who exactly you are aiming your cannon at for 'deriding' you and others but i hope it isn't me....

I personally have and will criticise u2's 00's albums...i have never and won't 'deride' people for liking them....criticising the music and deriding people who like it are two very different things....

The issue here seems to be that you appear to see the criticism of the music as derision of you.....that is something you perceive and therefore something you clearly believe to be true - that is for you to handle.

I did overstate my case as redrunningred pointed out - yes, there is little direct criticism of U2 fans on this board who see value in the material on ATYCLB and beyond.  Yet I still detect an sense of cultural elitism in the overblown points made against ATYCLB that infers that people who like it are somehow MOR and unrefined.   I do worry that sometimes people may feel reluctant to express their views that they like a particular song or album because there'll be a chorus of very familiar criticisms to follow.  E.g. a shy retiring creature like me would never let you know how much he loves Elevation. 

I guess I'll have to handle my perception issues by a visit to the doctor given I could've sworn you quoted me twice in the same message, and each time I said the same thing... ?

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2016, 01:04:00 AM »
Pop

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2016, 01:22:56 AM »

I did overstate my case as redrunningred pointed out - yes, there is little direct criticism of U2 fans on this board who see value in the material on ATYCLB and beyond.  Yet I still detect an sense of cultural elitism in the overblown points made against ATYCLB that infers that people who like it are somehow MOR and unrefined.   I do worry that sometimes people may feel reluctant to express their views that they like a particular song or album because there'll be a chorus of very familiar criticisms to follow.  E.g. a shy retiring creature like me would never let you know how much he loves Elevation. 

I guess I'll have to handle my perception issues by a visit to the doctor given I could've sworn you quoted me twice in the same message, and each time I said the same thing... ?

Was so good i quoted it twice