Author Topic: U2's Most Polarising Album.  (Read 5163 times)

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
Re: U2's Most Polarising Album.
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2016, 10:58:51 AM »
HTDAAB. It's probably the best selling album of its day and thus immensely popular, yet a huge number of fans of the band's music (including me) think it's their worst album since "October". Also, it does manage to not sound like a whole, yet too same-y all the same.

When it came out, it was much more polarizing on this board than ATYCLB was. Plus, it sold better than that album, which cannot be said about its follow-up NLOTH which was also being very controversially discussed here.

Offline Cam501

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2016, 11:33:24 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Check out this article:  The Story of U2's Polarizing 'Zooropa'.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

What do you think of their album ranking?

It's not bad.  My main disagreements are on Boy, Bomb, and SOI.  I'd lower all of those from their rankings.  SOI sits in the cellar just above October for me.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2016, 11:34:32 PM »
I would place "The Joshua Tree" before "Boy". 

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2016, 11:05:08 AM »
I'll say this.  Every time U2 releases an album, it polarises its audience.  Some fans love it and some fans hate it.  Whether its Achtung Baby (Bono : "We'll lose some of the pop kids but we don't need them") or Songs of Innocence, U2 loses some fans but ends up gaining some new ones.

Live is where U2 lives.  I like to judge an album on its recorded version as well as its live version.  In that case,  albums like Pop and ATYCLB are excellent in that sense.  These two albums create a lot of discussion, whether its love or hate.

Consider a short set concert like this:

1.) Beautiful Day
2.) Discotheque
3.) Elevation
4.) Last Night on Earth
5.) Gone
6.) Stuck in a Moment...
7.) Kite
8.) Mofo
9.) Please
10.) Walk On

What other band or artist could have a show as good as this only playing songs from its arguably two most polarising albums?

Yes indeed, great post...

Offline Matty_Mullens

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • "Brevity is the essence of wit" Brian Eno-1984
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2016, 12:50:12 PM »
I'll say this.  Every time U2 releases an album, it polarises its audience.  Some fans love it and some fans hate it.  Whether its Achtung Baby (Bono : "We'll lose some of the pop kids but we don't need them") or Songs of Innocence, U2 loses some fans but ends up gaining some new ones.

Live is where U2 lives.  I like to judge an album on its recorded version as well as its live version.  In that case,  albums like Pop and ATYCLB are excellent in that sense.  These two albums create a lot of discussion, whether its love or hate.

Consider a short set concert like this:

1.) Beautiful Day
2.) Discotheque
3.) Elevation
4.) Last Night on Earth
5.) Gone
6.) Stuck in a Moment...
7.) Kite
8.) Mofo
9.) Please
10.) Walk On

What other band or artist could have a show as good as this only playing songs from its arguably two most polarising albums?

Yes indeed, great post...

Thanks

Offline Bonobos

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2016, 05:03:36 AM »
October

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2016, 10:53:02 AM »
October

Really?  I thought October was maybe U2's  most universally-maligned album.  It's always at the bottom of the polls.  It's like everyone agrees Achtung Baby is great, and everyone agrees October is, if not bad, then maybe their worst album.  (Though I would say NLOTH is easily their worst.)

Offline Cam501

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2016, 09:43:36 PM »
October

Really?  I thought October was maybe U2's  most universally-maligned album.  It's always at the bottom of the polls.  It's like everyone agrees Achtung Baby is great, and everyone agrees October is, if not bad, then maybe their worst album.  (Though I would say NLOTH is easily their worst.)

I'd easily put both SOI and October below NLOTH.

Offline Quester11

• Stateless
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2016, 10:43:21 PM »
I'd actually wager that October is the most polarizing. People either love it or hate it, whereas records like Pop and NLOTH tend to have more varied opinions.

I don't really know anyone who hates October. People seem to either love it, like it, or ignore it.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2016, 10:46:39 PM »
I'd actually wager that October is the most polarizing. People either love it or hate it, whereas records like Pop and NLOTH tend to have more varied opinions.

I don't really know anyone who hates October. People seem to either love it, like it, or ignore it.

Hate is a strong word. But even among people who claim to love it, it tends to float near the bottom of most polls. I think it's actually a fairly strong album....it's just that they kept making stronger ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Matty_Mullens

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • "Brevity is the essence of wit" Brian Eno-1984
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2016, 01:20:56 PM »
October

I'd easily put both SOI and October below NLOTH.

I'd also put SOI and October below NLOTH

Offline Quester11

• Stateless
« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2016, 06:49:28 PM »

Hate is a strong word. But even among people who claim to love it, it tends to float near the bottom of most polls. I think it's actually a fairly strong album....it's just that they kept making stronger ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I define something that's polarising as something that's divisive among the fanbase. I've seen very few people arguing about October.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2016, 07:50:45 PM »
I love "October".  I especially like to play it loud in my car.  Larry had some fine drum work on that one!