Author Topic: 1983 Us Festival  (Read 1179 times)

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
1983 Us Festival
« on: May 26, 2016, 07:12:42 AM »
I probably had seen clips before, but I recently discovered the 1983 Us Festival footage on the Amazon Firestick.  (Free for Prime members!)  It was a real treat to watch, and included both Sunday Bloody Sunday and Electric Co.  If you have access, I recommend it.  Lots of other great footage of other early-80's acts, too.

Offline Jswallow

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: 1983 Us Festival
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 02:49:24 PM »
One of my favourite gigs ever, U2 come on & just nail it !!

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk

Offline MR. Upson_Pratt

• Wanderer
  • There's not going to be any more DAMN BUGS
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 09:10:45 PM »
It really is some of their very best and most striking footage from the first half of the 80s, no doubt about it. First time performing in front of over a hundred thousand people, and they seem totally locked-in and completely unphased by the enormity of the situation. I think they were probably all too aware of what a big opportunity it would be for them to go out on that stage and just own it in front of so many people - and that's exactly what they did.

Bono pulls out all the stops. Something was possessing him that day. His stunt during The Electric Co., while perhaps not too bright, is amazing footage.

Offline Spaderholic

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 09:39:59 PM »
Is this the Devore concert you're talking about? I've watched that on YouTube and it's fantastic. As for Bono's stunt during Electric Co, the crazy man could have got himself killed! Lol.

Offline MR. Upson_Pratt

• Wanderer
  • There's not going to be any more DAMN BUGS
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 09:15:56 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Is this the Devore concert you're talking about? I've watched that on YouTube and it's fantastic. As for Bono's stunt during Electric Co, the crazy man could have got himself killed! Lol.

That's the show. Good warm-up for Red Rocks. After Bono's stunt, when the band go backstage, you can tell Edge and Larry don't seem especially pleased. Only Paul McGuinness seems interested if Bono is okay. I think at this point the band was starting to get sick of Bono's climbing antics.

Offline mstevensmcs

• Refugee
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 10:59:21 PM »
I first saw the band a few days after this show, on June 1st, 1983....right between US Festival and Red Rocks. Bono was still crawling up the P.A. speaker towers....they had a lot of residual energy from the US fest, and were even wearing the same clothes as in the RR video!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 11:01:27 PM by mstevensmcs »

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 09:43:56 AM »
I have to kind of laugh that Bono was wearing a "War" t-shirt on stage.  I'm hard pressed to think of another act that promoted themselves so shamelessly, especially considering U2's anti-populist stance at the time.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 11:45:30 AM »
I have to kind of laugh that Bono was wearing a "War" t-shirt on stage.  I'm hard pressed to think of another act that promoted themselves so shamelessly, especially considering U2's anti-populist stance at the time.

Or there was that one concert where Bono wore a shirt with an image of him wearing a U2 shirt on it.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 12:42:37 PM »

Iron Maiden does this. Mike Love wears a Beach Boys hat at EVERY BBOYS CONCERT