Poll

Which do you prefer and why?

Every Breath You Take
With or Without You

Author Topic: Police Vs U2  (Read 4541 times)

Offline Spaderholic

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Police Vs U2
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2016, 03:13:51 PM »
Every Breath You Take is a classic song, for sure. A dark, menancing song, but one thing that's always put me a bit off it (and most of The Police's songs for that matter) is Sting's voice! I simply cannot stand his horrible, nasally, screeching, whiney voice! It's like nails down a blackboard to me! Lol. A song I hate with a passion because of his horrendous vocals is Roxanne!!

With Or Without It is a wonderful, dark classic. A haunting song, with such a beautiful arrangement and those guitars! Wow! Plus, Bono's voice is beautiful on it. Amazing bassline, the song is just perfect to me, one of my favourite songs by anyone, not just U2. :)

Offline Spaderholic

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2016, 03:16:20 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

R.E.M. The one i love is a great example of that...

Oh definitely, yes. "...this one goes out to the one I love. This one goes out to the one I left behind - a simple prop to occupy my time..." definitely not a sweet love song, lol! ;D

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2016, 03:18:30 PM »
It is funny, reading that story, about how many people will take either song (and others) as wedding songs regardless of the reality that the lyrics for songs like that are quite dark.  At my own wedding, the dj asked why I didn't want One or WOWY or All I Want is You played since I was a U2 fan.  I told him to read the lyrics some time and think about them.

We used Two Hearts Beat As One as one of our songs and perhaps the only U2 song played at our wedding.

R.E.M. The one i love is a great example of that...

And Born in The USA always makes me laugh how it went over so many heads...

That's the danger when rock songs become popular. 

Offline Giga Razor

• Stateless
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2016, 03:28:53 PM »
Of course people on here will vote for Wowy but universally EBYT would win hands down ,it was Number 1 worldwide and was the most played song of the 80s on radio and it's a much more haunting melodic song.

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2016, 06:55:54 PM »
Tough... Neither is my favorite, but I prefer EBYT since WOWY is so overplayed to me.

Offline MR. Upson_Pratt

• Wanderer
  • There's not going to be any more DAMN BUGS
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2016, 08:36:42 PM »
Push. Both are mega-hits and stone cold classics which deal with similarly dark material. EBYT is darker, WOWY is more emotional, but they both deftly cover some pretty bleak terrain. My preference could change from one day to the next, but the truth is they are both essential to me. There are little aspects I like about one song over the other, but in the end they pretty much add up to the same for me.

Funny how such shadowy and despairing songs became the two band's biggest hits - at least in The States. In a way, the two songs seem almost tied together.

Offline MR. Upson_Pratt

• Wanderer
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2016, 08:40:40 PM »
What's the story behind EBYT, an tha? Please help a Police lay woman!

Lifted from wiki...

Sting wrote the song in 1982 in the aftermath of his separation from Frances Tomelty and the beginning of his relationship with Trudie Styler. The split was controversial. As The Independent reported in 2006, "The problem was, he was already married to actress Frances Tomelty, who just happened to be Trudie's best friend (Sting and Frances lived next door to Trudie in Bayswater, west London, for several years before the two of them became lovers). The affair was widely condemned." In order to escape from the public eye, Sting retreated in the Caribbean where he started writing the song. The lyrics are the words of a possessive lover who is watching "every breath you take; every move you make".

I woke up in the middle of the night with that line in my head, sat down at the piano and had written it in half an hour. The tune itself is generic, an aggregate of hundreds of others, but the words are interesting. It sounds like a comforting love song. I didn't realize at the time how sinister it is. I think I was thinking of Big Brother, surveillance and control.

 Sting
Sting later said he was disconcerted by how many people think the song is more positive than it is. He insists it is about the obsession with a lost lover, and the jealousy and surveillance that follow. "One couple told me 'Oh we love that song; it was the main song played at our wedding!' I thought, 'Well, good luck.'"[10] When asked why he appears angry in the music video Sting told BBC Radio 2, "I think the song is very, very sinister and ugly and people have actually misinterpreted it as being a gentle little love song, when it's quite the opposite"

Sinister to a degree, especially when the lyrics turn the tide at the end "Then you'll find your servant is your master, And you'll be wrapped around my finger."

Surprised WOWY has such a commanding lead in the poll.  Figured it would win out, heck, this is a U2 forum, but didn't think it would trounce it.

That's Wrapped Around Your Finger. that you're quoting. Easy to mistake seeing as they are both single's from the same album. You're right though, that song has a perceptible shift in tone during the last verse in comparison to what came before.

Waffles

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2016, 09:07:11 PM »
The climax of WOWY is unbeatable. The whole song builds up to that moment. WOWY by a long shot

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2016, 10:38:03 PM »
It is funny, reading that story, about how many people will take either song (and others) as wedding songs regardless of the reality that the lyrics for songs like that are quite dark.  At my own wedding, the dj asked why I didn't want One or WOWY or All I Want is You played since I was a U2 fan.  I told him to read the lyrics some time and think about them.

We used Two Hearts Beat As One as one of our songs and perhaps the only U2 song played at our wedding.

you do realize that Two Hearts is written about Satan and his most favored minion working their evil together?  Seems odd to have that at your wedding.

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2016, 06:12:22 AM »
What's the story behind EBYT, an tha? Please help a Police lay woman!

Lifted from wiki...

Sting wrote the song in 1982 in the aftermath of his separation from Frances Tomelty and the beginning of his relationship with Trudie Styler. The split was controversial. As The Independent reported in 2006, "The problem was, he was already married to actress Frances Tomelty, who just happened to be Trudie's best friend (Sting and Frances lived next door to Trudie in Bayswater, west London, for several years before the two of them became lovers). The affair was widely condemned." In order to escape from the public eye, Sting retreated in the Caribbean where he started writing the song. The lyrics are the words of a possessive lover who is watching "every breath you take; every move you make".

I woke up in the middle of the night with that line in my head, sat down at the piano and had written it in half an hour. The tune itself is generic, an aggregate of hundreds of others, but the words are interesting. It sounds like a comforting love song. I didn't realize at the time how sinister it is. I think I was thinking of Big Brother, surveillance and control.

 Sting
Sting later said he was disconcerted by how many people think the song is more positive than it is. He insists it is about the obsession with a lost lover, and the jealousy and surveillance that follow. "One couple told me 'Oh we love that song; it was the main song played at our wedding!' I thought, 'Well, good luck.'"[10] When asked why he appears angry in the music video Sting told BBC Radio 2, "I think the song is very, very sinister and ugly and people have actually misinterpreted it as being a gentle little love song, when it's quite the opposite"

Sinister to a degree, especially when the lyrics turn the tide at the end "Then you'll find your servant is your master, And you'll be wrapped around my finger."

Surprised WOWY has such a commanding lead in the poll.  Figured it would win out, heck, this is a U2 forum, but didn't think it would trounce it.

That's Wrapped Around Your Finger. that you're quoting. Easy to mistake seeing as they are both single's from the same album. You're right though, that song has a perceptible shift in tone during the last verse in comparison to what came before.

Opps   :-[  Don't know what I was thinking

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2016, 06:46:44 AM »
Funny you put these songs together, as I think I used to associate them as well.  Each one the respective "big ballad" from either band.

There's an amount of cheesiness that's detectable now, in both, that I would never have considered back in the day.  Both are also sort of masterpieces of minimalism and arrangement.

That said, and despite some 80's cheese, I'm still impressed with WOWY every time I hear it.  Which is kind of amazing, because I should be well sick of it by now.  (The only problem with them continuing to perform it live is that Bono simply can't do the song justice anymore.)  EBYT is a great, great, pop song, but doesn't really pack the same emotional wallop.

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2016, 08:39:04 AM »

you do realize that Two Hearts is written about Satan and his most favored minion working their evil together?  Seems odd to have that at your wedding.

And where do you get that from?  I've never heard that ever, and while that might be right (I can't find that is), it's not obvious to listen to the song.  As with most U2 songs, one can interpret many meanings, the more political ones being that it's about Ireland and Northern Ireland while most people find it as just a love song.  So perhaps you're the only person that might find it odd at a wedding... good thing I didn't invite you ;)

Offline MR. Upson_Pratt

• Wanderer
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2016, 08:50:41 AM »
emalvick, I can assure you the other poster is just pulling your chain. The concept for Two Hearts Beat as one came fruition while Bono was on his honeymoon. He and Ali were staying at one of the vacation homes of Island label boss Chris Blackwell. Since U2 weren't yet rolling in the money at that early juncture the label boss was good enough to lend out his vacation home. It was there Bono began playing around with the idea of U2 doing a straight forward love song.

So, all things considered, you having the song played at your wedding seems appropriate.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 08:53:40 AM by MR. Upson_Pratt »

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2016, 08:52:16 AM »
I think it's a great wedding song...keep it in your hearts and you will be happy forever!

Offline MR. Upson_Pratt

• Wanderer
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2016, 08:55:01 AM »
No worries acrobat62, like I said, easy mistake to make.