Poll

Which do you prefer and why?

Every Breath You Take
With or Without You

Author Topic: Police Vs U2  (Read 4585 times)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Re: Police Vs U2
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2016, 09:00:45 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It is funny, reading that story, about how many people will take either song (and others) as wedding songs regardless of the reality that the lyrics for songs like that are quite dark.  At my own wedding, the dj asked why I didn't want One or WOWY or All I Want is You played since I was a U2 fan.  I told him to read the lyrics some time and think about them.

We used Two Hearts Beat As One as one of our songs and perhaps the only U2 song played at our wedding.

you do realize that Two Hearts is written about Satan and his most favored minion working their evil together?  Seems odd to have that at your wedding.

:)

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2016, 09:03:05 AM »
Then again, I guess it depends what kind of wedding it is...smirk!

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2016, 09:26:36 AM »
I remember The Edge saying something similar about One, remarking how people play it at their weddings and how it's actually a song about things falling apart.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2016, 09:35:06 AM »
I remember The Edge saying something similar about One, remarking how people play it at their weddings and how it's actually a song about things falling apart.
Well, I certainly wouldn't want One played at my wedding...I'd only be able to think about the guys in drag or the bison jumping off the cliff!

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2016, 09:42:35 AM »

Well, I certainly wouldn't want One played at my wedding...I'd only be able to think about the guys in drag or the bison jumping off the cliff!

;D Exactly! That's why we opted for All I Want Is You at our wedding. You can't go wrong there!

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2016, 09:52:19 AM »

;D Exactly! That's why we opted for All I Want Is You at our wedding. You can't go wrong there!
Good choice! Too bad you couldn't have the guys there to play it live for you...

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2016, 10:05:11 AM »

One, WOWY, All I Want is You... you don't have to listen hard to hear the dark themes in the songs.  And they're all about similar topics. All I Want is You is just a different perspective on WOWY... one sided love taken for granted by the other party, in this case materialistic.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 10:08:44 AM by emalvick »

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2016, 10:11:09 AM »

One, WOWY, All I Want is You... you don't have to listen hard to hear the dark themes in the songs.  And they're all about similar topics. All I Want is You is just a different perspective on WOWY... one sided love taken for granted by the other party, in this case materialistic.
There is some darkness in those songs, but also some light...hope & love...mixed in with serious desperation (which sounds a lot like a wedding song to me!)

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2016, 11:13:05 AM »
It is funny, reading that story, about how many people will take either song (and others) as wedding songs regardless of the reality that the lyrics for songs like that are quite dark.  At my own wedding, the dj asked why I didn't want One or WOWY or All I Want is You played since I was a U2 fan.  I told him to read the lyrics some time and think about them.

We used Two Hearts Beat As One as one of our songs and perhaps the only U2 song played at our wedding.

you do realize that Two Hearts is written about Satan and his most favored minion working their evil together?  Seems odd to have that at your wedding.

:)

I can always count on you sir!   8) 8) 8)

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2016, 11:14:49 AM »

And where do you get that from?  I've never heard that ever, and while that might be right (I can't find that is), it's not obvious to listen to the song.  As with most U2 songs, one can interpret many meanings, the more political ones being that it's about Ireland and Northern Ireland while most people find it as just a love song.  So perhaps you're the only person that might find it odd at a wedding... good thing I didn't invite you ;)

I was just having a laugh.  Sorry - the red Burgundy got the better of me  ;D

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2016, 11:20:03 AM »
too funny...

voughtla

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2016, 12:26:05 PM »
There are Police songs which could rival U2 songs, but this one isn't even close.  With or Without You, all the way.  I've never, ever tired of hearing that song, and the coda "Shine Like Stars" is icing on the proverbial cake.

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2016, 01:55:45 PM »

And where do you get that from?  I've never heard that ever, and while that might be right (I can't find that is), it's not obvious to listen to the song.  As with most U2 songs, one can interpret many meanings, the more political ones being that it's about Ireland and Northern Ireland while most people find it as just a love song.  So perhaps you're the only person that might find it odd at a wedding... good thing I didn't invite you ;)
*whoosh*

Don't worry, it happened to me a week ago.  ;)

Offline Chip

• Numb
  • "Hey, I've been waiting to get home a long time"
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2016, 09:39:53 PM »
Apples and oranges. EBYT is the dark, twisted song Sting has always said it is, with an unapologetic, creepy speaker. WOWY is a song (even psalm, from one perspective) of lament. That makes all the difference in the world thematically.

Just on a musical level, I've always (since the summer of '83) disliked how EBYT reaches its emotional climax at the bridge and then becomes subdued for its final verse, chorus, and outro. (I'm sure there are others out there who would make a case that's part of the song's genius!) It took me almost a decade to appreciate WOWY on the musical end, but then I came to love (thanks to a friend pointing this out) how the song unobtrusively but consistently builds to its climax, as if you're slowly but persistently climbing up a mountain until you reach the top.

Offline mstevensmcs

• Refugee
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2016, 05:11:17 PM »
Having seen both bands, Police from 1979-1983 (5 shows +2 reunion) and U2 from 1983-2011 (18 shows), I'd have to hand the "Police V. U2" crown to....The Police. If for nothing else but musicianship.