Poll

How much would you pay for a new U2 albume if it wer pay what you want?

$0
$1 - $5
$6 - $10
$11 - $15
$16 - $20
More then $20

Author Topic: Pay What You Want  (Read 1091 times)

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
Pay What You Want
« on: June 08, 2016, 02:13:51 PM »
Saw this discussion in another thread, thought it might be a good poll question.  Radiohead released an album where people could pay what they wanted to get it.  What if U2 were to do the same thing, with maybe only a first single to base it on?

I'd go the $6 - $10 range and on the higher end of that seems a fair price, especially if just a download with no physical copy.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
Re: Pay What You Want
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 02:30:34 PM »
Sorry acrobat I think I pre-empted your poll.  Maybe do a follow up poll and ask about SOI?

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 10:36:21 AM »
I think we were doing it at the seam time as once I posted mine, yours came up right afterward.  No worries, great minds and all.    ;D

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 10:44:16 AM »
If there is an opportunity to get music for free from one of the wealthiest bands in music history then you won't see me part with a penny.....if u2 were a young up and coming band struggling to break through/trying to make their way in the business then i would happily pay a tenner which is about the going rate for a new album on cd...

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 10:56:46 AM »
$10-$15; voted option 4.

Offline Kite32

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 03:53:43 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If there is an opportunity to get music for free from one of the wealthiest bands in music history then you won't see me part with a penny.....if u2 were a young up and coming band struggling to break through/trying to make their way in the business then i would happily pay a tenner which is about the going rate for a new album on cd...

I agree. That said when radiohead did their 'pay what you' like release with in rainbows I paid 7. But that's because I have much more respect for Radiohead than U2 and I knew I would be buying great music. The only album I paid money for since POP was ATYCLB - I streamed the rest of their releases for free which was fortunate given the quality of them.
And as you say U2 don't need the cash so who cares if they miss out.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 10:14:08 AM »

I agree. That said when radiohead did their 'pay what you' like release with in rainbows I paid 7. But that's because I have much more respect for Radiohead than U2 and I knew I would be buying great music. The only album I paid money for since POP was ATYCLB - I streamed the rest of their releases for free which was fortunate given the quality of them.
And as you say U2 don't need the cash so who cares if they miss out.

Ouch!

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 10:40:58 AM »
Hell U2 gave SOI for free via Apple and I still ended up buying the Vinyl and CD, so if they strictly say pay what you want for a digital download with no physical release then I probably would not pay anything as U2 obviously does not need the money.  But I do like my physical copies (Vinyl and CD) and would pay for it if they gave the option to buy a physical copy.

Offline benpoke

• Refugee
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 01:59:59 PM »
I would pay for a physical album.  If just MP3s, then free it is.

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 08:06:24 PM »
It seems that U2 would be willing to just give away any new albums from here on out-- they know the big bucks are in touring. Look at the sales of NLOTH (couple million?) and compare it to the 360 tour, which grossed hundreds of millions of dollars.

Offline fardreamer

• Child of Grace
  • The best things are easy to destroy
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 01:16:33 AM »
Everyone thinks they should get stuff for free. Entitlement is lame.

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 08:41:48 AM »
Honestly, I think that asking a customer to pay what you want and having people say they wouldn't pay anything isn't the same as entitlement.  I'm not saying that entitlement isn't an issue (otherwise piracy wouldn't be so rampant), but when a band offers something for free, people are going to take it regardless of whether they feel they are entitled to or not.

Perhaps it's entitlement if people use the band's financial situation to determine whether they would pay or not, but I think it's hard for people not to do that.  This is especially the case when you have a band like U2 (and many bands) that make each release with multiple packages that are exponentially more expensive for one extra song and some perceived collectability. 

When I've paid $$$ for what amounts to an oversized cardboard box and one extra disk for a previous release, I might feel less guilty about paying nothing when the band offers me the option.  And perhaps that is entitlement, but I whole-heartedly understand where it comes from.

What would really be lame is if people felt entitled to take a release for free from some new band that is trying to make a break.  It's a tough industry to break into from a financial standpoint, and while I might not pay for a U2 album, I'd likely take the money I don't spend on a U2 album and put it towards some new band I've discovered on bandcamp.  With Spotify, I rarely buy music anymore, but I do buy albums from my Spotify discoveries of artists that I know can use the support.  That's also how I select concerts these days, but some of that is because it is a cheaper way for me to see more live shows.

Afterall, one could easily argue that major artists must feel entitled to charge $100's for concert tickets or even deluxe releases.  It can go both ways.

Offline Kite32

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 02:35:43 AM »
As a general rule people won't pay for something if they think they can get it for free without anyone else finding out. This is particularly applicable to music where the perceived value of an MP3 is zero. Therefore the pay what you want model is pointless.

U2 didn't give their last album away for free. Apple paid them to do so. So U2 being U2 got their money. U2 making ever increasing piles of money is clearly as important to them now as it was when they had none. In this example they got to embarrass themselves in front of a bunch of badly dressed Apple employees AND get paid for it. Both parties spent the next 2 or 3 months trying to limit the damage to their respective brands. Apple did this by going very quiet. U2 did it by trying to blame everyone else for their mistake.

The world has run out of business models when it comes to music. Equally the internet really hasn't made musicians poor. The same rules still apply to today as they've always done - record companies are raking it in, established bands are raking it in and it's very hard for emerging bands to make any money or break through. There is still money to be made and lots of it. It's just very hard - same as it ever was.

As for deluxe box sets etc no one is forcing U2 fans to buy what U2 sell. If you think the Paris box set is too expensive, don't buy it! Buy the cheap version. If you think a U2 concert ticket is too expensive, vote with your feet and don't go like I did. I had a very nice weekend break in the country instead of listening to U2 play the same worn out songs. That for me is entitlement - you're not entitled to anything from U2 - U2 aren't entitled to anything from you.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 11:33:32 AM »
Everyone thinks they should get stuff for free. Entitlement is lame.

Well, sure, stealing stuff is no good.  But they gave away SOI, and I took it for free.  The only reason I bought a physical copy were for the bonus songs.  Otherwise, I'd have been happy to have settled for the free version, and would do so again, if they offered it.