Author Topic: 30 years ago today - Amnesty International Giants Stadium  (Read 719 times)

Offline judgesmails

• Wanderer
30 years ago today - Amnesty International Giants Stadium
« on: June 15, 2016, 06:58:56 AM »
Just noticed the date - I can't believe it's been 30 years.  I didn't have MTV at the time, so I asked a friend of mine to record it for me.  I didn't know anyone else at the time who cared at all about U2, and I was completely in the dark about what they played until I finally got my hands on the video a week or two after the broadcast.  I remember being shocked by Bono's wild hair and questionable leather fringe jacket, though in retrospect I think he looked great.  Perfect performances of MLK, Pride, and Sunday Bloody Sunday, in my opinion.

I'm so old. :P

Offline Spaderholic

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: 30 years ago today - Amnesty International Giants Stadium
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 04:35:17 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Just noticed the date - I can't believe it's been 30 years.  I didn't have MTV at the time, so I asked a friend of mine to record it for me.  I didn't know anyone else at the time who cared at all about U2, and I was completely in the dark about what they played until I finally got my hands on the video a week or two after the broadcast.  I remember being shocked by Bono's wild hair and questionable leather fringe jacket, though in retrospect I think he looked great.  Perfect performances of MLK, Pride, and Sunday Bloody Sunday, in my opinion.

I'm watching it on YouTube right now. How can it be 30 years already! Time flies so quickly, it's scary! The band played brilliantly and yes, despite the fringe jacket Bono looked gorgeous and I loved his hair like that! :)

Offline allad1nsane

• Babyface
  • The goal is soul
Re: 30 years ago today - Amnesty International Giants Stadium
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 03:53:18 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

That was my first ever show! That fringe jacket was awesome but I also remember him sweating buckets as it was a super warm night. If you look for the Canadian flag in the bottom left of the MTV broadcast, stuck onto an American flag pole (if you are out there, thanks whoever did that) that's me and my friend who took a bus down from Montreal. GREAT show. And I also Steven Van Zandt's "(Ain't Gonna Play) Sun City" too.