Author Topic: What if Pop was "finished" before its release?  (Read 2685 times)

Offline Chip

• Numb
  • "Hey, I've been waiting to get home a long time"
Re: What if Pop was "finished" before its release?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2016, 12:26:57 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
According to Wikipedia, the chorus to Last Night On Earth wasn't even written until the night before the album's release.

Thats right, Island Records went around the world and overwrote a bunch of bits on each of the already shipped and packaged Pop CDs waiting to go on sale that morning in retailers across the globe!
Hey, I did say it was Wikipedia!

I've seen that story in other sources. It was the last night of recording/delivering the album to the label, not the last night before its release.

The album also reportedly (Rolling Stone, if I remember correctly) was hurt by the band spending months on almost nothing other than trying to perfect "Discotheque," since it was already pegged to be the first single. If that's true (and I assume it is), it seems like a big mistake, IMHO.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 12:33:19 AM by Chip »

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2016, 03:24:21 AM »
The album was finished, there's nothing on the record to suggest otherwise. It was only firstleg of the tour that suffered from the March '97 release date.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2016, 08:09:01 AM »
To answer the topic question: it would still be awesome.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2016, 10:02:01 AM »
I don't hear an unfinished album at all. I'm sure there are things they could have touched up or expanded upon but overall I think it's a brilliant and bold album. I doubt another few months would have made much of a difference.

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2016, 12:28:13 PM »
According to Wikipedia, the chorus to Last Night On Earth wasn't even written until the night before the album's release.

I think it is more that the finished versions of those songs ended up on their singles.  This was one album where I believe most the singles were different mixes (not just edits) than the album versions.  Please, Discotheque, Last Night were all different.  I don't recall about IGWSHA or Staring at the Sun.  There were sure a lot of remixes for each of the songs, too.  I believe Mofo got released as a single with nothing but remixes.

Thats right, Island Records went around the world and overwrote a bunch of bits on each of the already shipped and packaged Pop CDs waiting to go on sale that morning in retailers across the globe!

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2016, 12:34:35 PM »
I do wish we could have that earlier version of the album.

In some ways, I wish U2 had the guts to do something like Springsteen did with Nebraska; I don't mean to that extreme, but rather just record something and put it out there without much if any production.

I recognize that U2 aren't necessarily capable of such a feat, but I might be wrong.  I bet even now, everything would sound good.  I also wouldn't mind if they do like Bruce with the Promise (to revisit some of U2's abandoned albums). 

Offline MEMORY_MAN

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I must follow the path to the endless road...
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2016, 10:40:20 AM »
I wish they would have had less time to work on it....

Look at even Mofo for example - great song, a bit of a beast - but not a patch sonically as an end product on the beast in this video...

I am 100% certain in my belief that the minute and half or so of mofo on that video is the greatest bit of recorded u2 available anywhere ever!

If u2 had gone with this sound then a great song becomes greater in my view and it isn't hard to imagine that the same could be said for the record as a whole...my guess is that if they would have had more time the record would have got watered down further and it would have been a disaster...miami probably would get jibbed for a safer sounding, WUDM probably has the 'profanity' removed (that word really makes me laugh) 'bah gawd u2 used profanity!! and the whole thing would be polished too much and be less exciting and a lesser album imo probably losing its harder and more unusual (for u2) elements.

I really wish the record had landed closer to what we hear in that video above - there is an awesome album potentially there....even greater than what we got.

The question for me should be how great could Pop have been if they wouldn't have worked on it so long and for me the answer is potentially very very great!

I too wish they would have spent less time.  I love the way these tracks sound in their earlier form.  Not overly worked or overly produced.  You can feel the excitement.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 10:45:26 AM by MEMORY_MAN »

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2016, 03:27:57 PM »
I wish they would have had less time to work on it....

Look at even Mofo for example - great song, a bit of a beast - but not a patch sonically as an end product on the beast in this video...

I am 100% certain in my belief that the minute and half or so of mofo on that video is the greatest bit of recorded u2 available anywhere ever!

If u2 had gone with this sound then a great song becomes greater in my view and it isn't hard to imagine that the same could be said for the record as a whole...my guess is that if they would have had more time the record would have got watered down further and it would have been a disaster...miami probably would get jibbed for a safer sounding, WUDM probably has the 'profanity' removed (that word really makes me laugh) 'bah gawd u2 used profanity!! and the whole thing would be polished too much and be less exciting and a lesser album imo probably losing its harder and more unusual (for u2) elements.

I really wish the record had landed closer to what we hear in that video above - there is an awesome album potentially there....even greater than what we got.

The question for me should be how great could Pop have been if they wouldn't have worked on it so long and for me the answer is potentially very very great!

I too wish they would have spent less time.  I love the way these tracks sound in their earlier form.  Not overly worked or overly produced.  You can feel the excitement.

Perhaps they could put out an anniversary version of the album with early versions of the songs on a second disc - like they did with the 20th anniversary edition of AB. 

Offline MEMORY_MAN

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I must follow the path to the endless road...
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2016, 01:24:53 PM »
That would be awesome.

LightMyWay92

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2016, 06:39:50 PM »
I just wish it would have had a more natural-sounding, less electronic (for lack of a better word) sound.  The songs are gloomy in a way that the AB songs (some very gloomy themselves) were not.  I think it was the sound of Bono's voice, the way he delivered vocally, that made it seem too downbeat for what I want from U2.  I'm having a tough time expressing my thoughts here:)  Hope I'm making sense! 

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2016, 07:05:49 PM »
I just wish it would have had a more natural-sounding, less electronic (for lack of a better word) sound.  The songs are gloomy in a way that the AB songs (some very gloomy themselves) were not.  I think it was the sound of Bono's voice, the way he delivered vocally, that made it seem too downbeat for what I want from U2.  I'm having a tough time expressing my thoughts here:)  Hope I'm making sense!
I get what you mean, but the atmosphere of these songs is what makes Pop is unique. Most U2 albums go together, sort of like trilogies, (Boy/October/War, ATYCLB/HTDAAB/NLOTH, etc.) whereas Pop stands out. Some may include it with Achtung Baby and Zooropa, but OS1 is more like those albums than Pop is. I don't see an issue with the music being darker, it made for some memorable U2 songs (Please, Miami, WUDM) that are unlike anything else from the band. Gosh, I hope I'm making any sense!

LightMyWay92

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2016, 08:32:26 PM »
I get what you mean, but the atmosphere of these songs is what makes Pop is unique. Most U2 albums go together, sort of like trilogies, (Boy/October/War, ATYCLB/HTDAAB/NLOTH, etc.) whereas Pop stands out. Some may include it with Achtung Baby and Zooropa, but OS1 is more like those albums than Pop is. I don't see an issue with the music being darker, it made for some memorable U2 songs (Please, Miami, WUDM) that are unlike anything else from the band. Gosh, I hope I'm making any sense!
I agree that Pop stands alone in U2's body of work.  There's nothing else really like it.  I might be in the minority, but I actually preferred the remixed versions of the Pop songs they included on the Best of 1990-2000, and I definitely thought the songs sounded better live when they were stripped down. 

Offline Cam501

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2016, 10:27:17 PM »
I agree that Pop stands alone in U2's body of work.  There's nothing else really like it.  I might be in the minority, but I actually preferred the remixed versions of the Pop songs they included on the Best of 1990-2000, and I definitely thought the songs sounded better live when they were stripped down.

Ouch lol.  The remixed versions of Pop songs on the best of are massively inferior to the originals imo.  They gave Discotheque the ATYCLB treatment!  Gone's vocals are much worse too.  Bono's voice was in rapid decline at the turn of the century.  I feel like they would have taken an above average album and completely ruined it had they worked on it any longer.

iehomecoming

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2016, 08:50:57 AM »
Sounds finished to me despite what U2 and the Revisionist history followers might parrot.

Anyway, if by "finished" you mean "sanitized to an ATYCLB-like sheen similar to the re-do's on the best of album", then please leave it in it's "unfinished" state.

Offline Cam501

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2016, 10:29:15 AM »
Sounds finished to me despite what U2 and the Revisionist history followers might parrot.

Anyway, if by "finished" you mean "sanitized to an ATYCLB-like sheen similar to the re-do's on the best of album", then please leave it in it's "unfinished" state.

This!