Author Topic: What if Pop was "finished" before its release?  (Read 2684 times)

LightMyWay92

Re: What if Pop was "finished" before its release?
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2016, 11:50:21 AM »
For me any "treatment" that reduces or eliminates that very un-U2 (for lack of a better word) electronic production is welcome.  To this day I still wonder why they wanted to go in that direction

Offline satellitedog

• Child of Grace
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2016, 02:48:12 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
For me any "treatment" that reduces or eliminates that very un-U2 (for lack of a better word) electronic production is welcome.  To this day I still wonder why they wanted to go in that direction

1. They went in that direction as Rock'n'Roll was getting super boring and straight in the mid '90s (not to mention where it went from there with post grunge bands and post brit-pop bands before the postpunk revival movement gave it a new lease on life) so they turned towards club music where the rhythms were more interesting and tech innovation created new sounds to play with.

2. Pop isn't even that electronic. It is a drier, denser sound, but it's very much a guitar record. Which songs do you have a problem with, because aside from Mofo there's noother song I remember that would apply as electronic-music.

LightMyWay92

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2016, 03:47:00 PM »

1. They went in that direction as Rock'n'Roll was getting super boring and straight in the mid '90s (not to mention where it went from there with post grunge bands and post brit-pop bands before the postpunk revival movement gave it a new lease on life) so they turned towards club music where the rhythms were more interesting and tech innovation created new sounds to play with.

2. Pop isn't even that electronic. It is a drier, denser sound, but it's very much a guitar record. Which songs do you have a problem with, because aside from Mofo there's noother song I remember that would apply as electronic-music.
I think "Do You Feel Loved" would have benefitted from a more stripped down sound.  I've always thought it has a pretty strong chorus and a good bass line.  You're right now that I think of it, Mofo is really the only really electronic song.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2016, 04:49:11 PM »
You're right now that I think of it, Mofo is really the only really electronic song.

How have you just now realized this about an album that is almost 20 years old (especially after having been parroting the complaint about U2 going electronic for God-knows how long)?

Whether we're talking about Pop being "unfinished," the band being "sellouts," or any other now-canonical revisionist rhetoric, I think we'd do ourselves a favor by employing a bit more scrutiny to the things we hear.

</rant>

Offline satellitedog

• Child of Grace
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2016, 04:50:01 PM »
I think "Do You Feel Loved" would have benefitted from a more stripped down sound.  I've always thought it has a pretty strong chorus and a good bass line.  You're right now that I think of it, Mofo is really the only really electronic song.

Well it is a sample heavy album which does draw it closer to electronic and urban music styles, but yeah, it's still a band record.

Do You Feel Loved took its basic verse guitar and altered bass riff from this dance track You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

It's got electronic music style filter effects though, so it's indeed a hybrid in that sense. I think it could work as a New Orleans marching band tune, but not nearly as well as a straight up rawk tune. I certainly prefer Popmart Discotheque to '00s live performances, and I guess DYFL would be played in that style were they to strip it of its grooviness.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 04:51:44 PM by satellitedog »

LightMyWay92

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2016, 08:21:51 PM »

Well it is a sample heavy album which does draw it closer to electronic and urban music styles, but yeah, it's still a band record.

Do You Feel Loved took its basic verse guitar and altered bass riff from this dance track You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

It's got electronic music style filter effects though, so it's indeed a hybrid in that sense. I think it could work as a New Orleans marching band tune, but not nearly as well as a straight up rawk tune. I certainly prefer Popmart Discotheque to '00s live performances, and I guess DYFL would be played in that style were they to strip it of its grooviness.
I think sample-heavy is a better description of the songs on Pop than electronic, but I really don't want either from U2.  Other bands maybe, but not U2.  I'll admit I'm not very analytical when it comes to describing music.  It hits me at the gut level, and that's where I either like or dislike it.   
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 08:48:28 PM by LightMyWay92 »

Offline Cam501

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2016, 08:46:05 PM »
The electronic filter effects are part of what makes DYFL a very good song to me.  But then again I don't believe the album is unfinished.  From my perspective there's nothing broken to fix.

Offline satellitedog

• Child of Grace
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2016, 02:54:26 AM »
I think sample-heavy is a better description of the songs on Pop than electronic, but I really don't want either from U2.  Other bands maybe, but not U2.  I'll admit I'm not very analytical when it comes to describing music.  It hits me at the gut level, and that's where I either like or dislike it.   

Well this is a totally defensible opinion, to each their own.

Offline satellitedog

• Child of Grace
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2016, 02:55:09 AM »
The electronic filter effects are part of what makes DYFL a very good song to me.  But then again I don't believe the album is unfinished.  From my perspective there's nothing broken to fix.

I agree on both points.

LightMyWay92

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2016, 10:13:36 AM »
I have always liked the electronic filter effects on Zooropa (admittedly there a fewer of them than on Pop) better than the effects on Pop, maybe because to me Zooropa was always just a spur of the moment (for U2 anyway), avant-garde  companion piece to Achtung Baby rather than a major album release that we had to wait quite a long time for and for which expectations were high.  Zooropa always entertains me, it's an enjoyable listen!

Offline satellitedog

• Child of Grace
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2016, 05:34:53 PM »
I love Zooropa too, and it is a more fun to listen to record, but it's also a very mixed bag, and I really love the strong dramatic arc of Pop in comparison. These last couple of years I've been listening a lot more to Zooropa and Passengers than Pop though.

Offline vertigofly40

• Wanderer
  • The world turns and we get dizzy
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2016, 04:26:13 PM »
I wish they would have had less time to work on it....

Look at even Mofo for example - great song, a bit of a beast - but not a patch sonically as an end product on the beast in this video...

I am 100% certain in my belief that the minute and half or so of mofo on that video is the greatest bit of recorded u2 available anywhere ever!

If u2 had gone with this sound then a great song becomes greater in my view and it isn't hard to imagine that the same could be said for the record as a whole...my guess is that if they would have had more time the record would have got watered down further and it would have been a disaster...miami probably would get jibbed for a safer sounding, WUDM probably has the 'profanity' removed (that word really makes me laugh) 'bah gawd u2 used profanity!! and the whole thing would be polished too much and be less exciting and a lesser album imo probably losing its harder and more unusual (for u2) elements.

I really wish the record had landed closer to what we hear in that video above - there is an awesome album potentially there....even greater than what we got.

The question for me should be how great could Pop have been if they wouldn't have worked on it so long and for me the answer is potentially very very great!

That video was amazing!  I hadn't heard anything form these early sessions! 

I agree that more time would have ended up with more of a "watered down" version of Pop.

Pop is still one of my top U2 albums; Having said that, I really wish they would have really went for it and embraced the new sounds.

I still think Pop is one of their best albums. 

I've watched this video a few times now; I wish they would release some this material, it's amazing!

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2016, 04:38:20 PM »
I wish they would have had less time to work on it....

Look at even Mofo for example - great song, a bit of a beast - but not a patch sonically as an end product on the beast in this video...

I am 100% certain in my belief that the minute and half or so of mofo on that video is the greatest bit of recorded u2 available anywhere ever!

If u2 had gone with this sound then a great song becomes greater in my view and it isn't hard to imagine that the same could be said for the record as a whole...my guess is that if they would have had more time the record would have got watered down further and it would have been a disaster...miami probably would get jibbed for a safer sounding, WUDM probably has the 'profanity' removed (that word really makes me laugh) 'bah gawd u2 used profanity!! and the whole thing would be polished too much and be less exciting and a lesser album imo probably losing its harder and more unusual (for u2) elements.

I really wish the record had landed closer to what we hear in that video above - there is an awesome album potentially there....even greater than what we got.

The question for me should be how great could Pop have been if they wouldn't have worked on it so long and for me the answer is potentially very very great!

That video was amazing!  I hadn't heard anything form these early sessions! 

I agree that more time would have ended up with more of a "watered down" version of Pop.

Pop is still one of my top U2 albums; Having said that, I really wish they would have really went for it and embraced the new sounds.

I still think Pop is one of their best albums. 

I've watched this video a few times now; I wish they would release some this material, it's amazing!

I am 100% serious when i say that snippet of mofo is the best thing i have heard from u2....a full version of that song in that style would have been immense.

Offline toolish

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2016, 03:23:59 AM »
Sounds finished to me despite what U2 and the Revisionist history followers might parrot.

Anyway, if by "finished" you mean "sanitized to an ATYCLB-like sheen similar to the re-do's on the best of album", then please leave it in it's "unfinished" state.

Couldn't agree more.

Offline zoo adam

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2016, 03:42:22 AM »
U2 were perhaps at their creative peak in the mid 90's.

They were still quite young but had the experience of 8 albums behind them. The albums sounds varying from War to Zooropa due their willingness to (successfully) try new things.

This creative peak saw them release Passengers, HMTMKMKM and pair off for Goldeneye and Mission Impossible. Before finally concentrating on Pop.

If all their mid 90's creative tension had been put into one album, Pop would have been released 2/3 years after Zooropa and been their best ever album. However Pop turned out to be a good but not great album.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 05:32:40 AM by zoo adam »