Author Topic: Bono's strategy of loving Muslim terrorists is off to a poor start  (Read 4506 times)

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
Re: Bono's strategy of loving Muslim terrorists is off to a poor start
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2016, 04:52:41 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If they do not love America and Americans, then they are not welcomed

That is a really...really bizarre metric.

How so ? If you don't want our way of life don't move here.

I am from the US, and to say that we have "a way of life" is absurd. We're 50 individual countries that have decided to cooperate extremely closely. To compare what life is like in the Pacific northwest to what it's like in New England or the deep south is ridiculous.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2016, 05:02:20 PM »
I'd rather this not turn political unless we're in the real world section of the forum.  I just want to enjoy the music discussion regardless of what political beliefs you may or may not have.

Sorry, but Bono blurred that line BIG time. Especially during the last tour and the whole #RefugeesWelcome thing. (Very prominent in the Paris DVD).

Right now in July 2016, U2's music and politics go together. Not a good time for Bono to do his preaching. Especially here in America, millions don't want to hear it.
what are you saying?? should europe let refugee kids drown and starve to death  would americans prefer that....i like to think not

Seriously. I'm an American. Don't presume to tell me what I do or don't want to hear. Unless you're a Native American, someone in your family was an immigrant or a refugee. What if they'd been turned away?

Native Americans do not and never have owned America.  Furthermore, before anyone came and civilized the place, native American tribes were killing each other over land.  That's how it is and always was all over the world for every shade of person.

When 2% of the population of Sweden commit 77% of the rapes... we need to look at it no matter how politically incorrect it is.

When .9% of the American population commit well over 1 in 3 terrorist attacks in the US...we need to look at it no matter how politically incorrect it is.

When 75% of a certain segment of the UK population says homosexuality should be illegal.... there is nothing wrong with considering this.   Along with a plethora of other stats that loudly tell me that certain groups aspire to a culture that their own actions, bible, prophet and beliefs communicate are not compatible with the culture/society I chose to live in.

The US citizens have no problem helping or providing charity and lead the world in this.  Expecting cultures who live in and aspire to contrary values to just slide into a mixed and hugely foreign co-existence may be naive.

I don't agree with the message I perceived from Bono on the Paris show, but I saw the beauty in it... profoundly.  I wish I could believe it was the answer.  I wish I could believe it possible.

Dismissing noble goals as admirable but unachievable is a very good way to make sure that they never happen.

iehomecoming

« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2016, 06:50:00 PM »

I am from the US, and to say that we have "a way of life" is absurd. We're 50 individual countries that have decided to cooperate extremely closely. To compare what life is like in the Pacific northwest to what it's like in New England or the deep south is ridiculous.

"Absurd" and "ridiculous" are words I would use against someone who didn't believe we have an overriding sense of ideals and philosophies that bind us together to make us the nation we are despite the local differences between say the West Coast, the Deep South, the Northwest, etc.

iehomecoming

« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2016, 07:02:58 PM »
I'd rather this not turn political unless we're in the real world section of the forum.  I just want to enjoy the music discussion regardless of what political beliefs you may or may not have.

Sorry, but Bono blurred that line BIG time. Especially during the last tour and the whole #RefugeesWelcome thing. (Very prominent in the Paris DVD).

Right now in July 2016, U2's music and politics go together. Not a good time for Bono to do his preaching. Especially here in America, millions don't want to hear it.
what are you saying?? should europe let refugee kids drown and starve to death  would americans prefer that....i like to think not

Seriously. I'm an American. Don't presume to tell me what I do or don't want to hear. Unless you're a Native American, someone in your family was an immigrant or a refugee. What if they'd been turned away?

Native Americans do not and never have owned America.  Furthermore, before anyone came and civilized the place, native American tribes were killing each other over land.  That's how it is and always was all over the world for every shade of person.

When 2% of the population of Sweden commit 77% of the rapes... we need to look at it no matter how politically incorrect it is.

When .9% of the American population commit well over 1 in 3 terrorist attacks in the US...we need to look at it no matter how politically incorrect it is.

When 75% of a certain segment of the UK population says homosexuality should be illegal.... there is nothing wrong with considering this.   Along with a plethora of other stats that loudly tell me that certain groups aspire to a culture that their own actions, bible, prophet and beliefs communicate are not compatible with the culture/society I chose to live in.

The US citizens have no problem helping or providing charity and lead the world in this.  Expecting cultures who live in and aspire to contrary values to just slide into a mixed and hugely foreign co-existence may be naive.

I don't agree with the message I perceived from Bono on the Paris show, but I saw the beauty in it... profoundly.  I wish I could believe it was the answer.  I wish I could believe it possible.

Dismissing noble goals as admirable but unachievable is a very good way to make sure that they never happen.

Refusing to believe certain goals can never be achieved is noble and admirable, but ultimately misguided.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2016, 08:49:44 PM »
I think someone in a previous post did a good job of describing what binds us together, which are core democratic values.  These are the same whether you live in Texas, California, or Indiana.  This is our way of life.  If someone cannot accept these values, he/she is not going to be very happy in our country and he probably also won't contribute to the betterment of our society.

Offline pdk

• Refugee
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2016, 09:40:17 PM »

Refusing to believe certain goals can never be achieved is noble and admirable, but ultimately misguided.

Hey, I never said never.

While "noble" speaks to " fine personal qualities or high moral principles and ideals"  with regards to describing a goal - that doesn't necessarily equate said goal to being attainable or realistic.

What is the "goal" anyway?  If it is to help our fellow man in need there are options.

Send 'em to England!

LOL  just kidding.

We can agree or disagree... not kill each other and still get along and have fun... Right?

It's the American way.   ;D
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 09:43:03 PM by pdk »

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2016, 09:48:47 PM »

This is absurd on many levels.  You must have intended something very different than what your words are conveying here.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 06:52:58 AM by singnomore »

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2016, 12:28:42 AM »

This is absurd on many levels.  You must have intended something very different than what your words are conveying here.

Please elaborate. I have travelled around the US and internationally many times. Apart from shared currency and shared base language, there is a lot to differentiate different parts of the US. Back up what you've said with real content.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 06:53:19 AM by singnomore »

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2016, 07:57:44 PM »

"Absurd" and "ridiculous" are words I would use against someone who didn't believe we have an overriding sense of ideals and philosophies that bind us together to make us the nation we are despite the local differences between say the West Coast, the Deep South, the Northwest, etc.

We don't. Some portions view religion much more strongly than others. Some parts are very into libertarian-style individualism, while others are much more community-minded. The types of food vary widely. The types of recreation vary widely. The housing and consumption and work styles vary greatly. Hell, we don't even all vote the same way. Ask Americans what needs to be done to make America "great again" (which is an impossible notion to begin with as it still is) and you'll get 50 different types of answers. Just because McDonalds and Walmart are everywhere and lots of people go see Avengers movie doesn't mean there's anything even close to a consensus as to what America is, outside of vague and manipulatable words like "freedom" and "liberty" and "greatest". And those words haven't applied uniformly to people with skin darker than light caucasian since forever. And with that, I'm done with this thread.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 08:00:36 PM by ian ryan »

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2016, 09:32:44 PM »
I'm just curious why this is in the general U2 section? It's really a real world or a Bobo post. Shouldn't it be in real world or the band member section.

(Maybe there should be a specific politics forum for U2 related political discussion? Just a thought).

Repeating a previous post:

"Sorry, but Bono blurred that line BIG time. Especially during the last tour and the whole #RefugeesWelcome thing. (Very prominent in the Paris DVD)."

Real World and U2 are a common thread in today's geopolitical spectrum.

Yep, and also: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login      Look at posts since Paris attacks.

Also, when I was a dumb cuck, in 2004/2005 the band appeared on Conan O'Brien's show. Bono had a segment alone. He was talking about his Africa charity project and said "Africa is x% muslim. It's cheaper to help them than to fight them".

But feelz over facts. This thread must be "off-topic" somehow if I squint hard enough ::)

Offline jrodr079

• Refugee
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2016, 06:50:27 PM »
tonight's horrific tragedy in Nice - France, further proof how wrong Bono is on the refugee, migration topic.

The world needs a leader with strong character
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 06:53:07 PM by jrodr079 »

Offline JHook

• Numb
  • Your voice was all I heard.
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2016, 12:50:40 AM »
tonight's horrific tragedy in Nice - France, further proof how wrong Bono is on the refugee, migration topic.

And you know for a fact that the perpetrators of this crime are refugees or migrants, right?

Offline Rik

• Babyface
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2016, 02:17:33 AM »

And you know for a fact that the perpetrators of this crime are refugees or migrants, right?
The perpetrator was a local. Doesn't have anything to do with refugees.

Offline jrodr079

• Refugee
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2016, 03:40:16 AM »

According to the NYtimes he was a Muslim Frenchman of Tunisian origin. As stated countless times before, the issue with the refugees is the few bad apples getting in among them.

'We must not become a monster in order to defeat a monster' politics are not enough in today's world.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 03:42:53 AM by jrodr079 »

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2016, 03:48:00 AM »

According to the NYtimes he was a Muslim Frenchman of Tunisian origin. As stated countless times before, the issue with the refugees is the few bad apples getting in among them.

'We must not become a monster in order to defeat a monster' politics are not enough in today's world.
indeed this attack had nothing to do with refugees