Author Topic: Updates on Album and Tour finally  (Read 13647 times)

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
Re: Updates on Album and Tour finally
« Reply #165 on: August 12, 2016, 08:05:58 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Why is every hip-hop star these days a solo performer?

Ego.

Offline Bono in Melbourne

• Wanderer
« Reply #166 on: August 13, 2016, 02:54:30 AM »
The internet has given us many wonderful things, including more variety of entertainment than a child growing up in the 70s could have ever dreamed possible. Games, movies, and yes, music, have all had a ballooning of availability thanks to the World Wide Web.
But with a seemingly endless pile of music shoved onto our laps, we're now living the curse of "the man who suddenly got everything he wanted." Except, unlike the assumption posited by Willy Wonka (er...Roald Dahl), not everyone is living happily ever after.
This overwhelming abundance has made it almost impossible to sustain a decent attention span. It's become more and more difficult to really immerse yourself in any particular band, because there's always another similar-sounding band just around the digital corner, and maybe they're even a little better, and boy you'd really be remiss if you didn't at least give them a listen to compare.
And it's also killed the idea of the giant, rock star world tour, because unless you're the Rolling Stones, most fans seem content to look up a clip of the concert on YouTube and call it a day.

• Wanderer
« Reply #167 on: August 13, 2016, 02:55:34 AM »
Online radio stations like Pandora, for instance, could help bands introduce themselves via similar-sounding artists. Other streaming music services such as Spotify act in a similar fashion, almost like a dating service for musicians and their possible fans.
The problem is that Pandora has become increasingly influenced by the record companies, and are now filling up the bulk of their "suggestions" with already established artists. The little guys, ironically, are now finding it harder to get into the mix, which seemed to be the initial point of the service. And forget about making any real money off it even if you're lucky enough to squirm your way into their catalogues. Pandora only pays artists $0.001 per stream. (Spotify's price points are only slightly better.)

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #168 on: August 13, 2016, 03:08:58 AM »
When Apple kills iTunes song downloads to force people into streaming, you'll see people flocking back to CDs and vinyl.

• Wanderer
« Reply #169 on: August 13, 2016, 03:57:42 AM »
I wish it was the 1980s again.

The best time in the history of humanity.

• Wanderer
« Reply #170 on: August 13, 2016, 03:59:34 AM »
I remember the Linn Drum and how Steve Gadd had been recorded to make the sound on it. Steve, What were you thinking? You have it made, but we poor drummers out here still need to work. This was the begining of the end for Rock and roll as the technology got cheaper to make and eventually keyboards could emulate any sound except for singers. and Now their is Vocoder for all the crappy singers out there. The Advent of the Drum machine was the start of DJ's playing the clubs and taking all that work from Rock and Roll. -

Real bands play real instruments and don't use machines

Offline pdk

• Refugee
« Reply #171 on: August 13, 2016, 06:24:18 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I remember the Linn Drum and how Steve Gadd had been recorded to make the sound on it. Steve, What were you thinking? You have it made, but we poor drummers out here still need to work. This was the begining of the end for Rock and roll as the technology got cheaper to make and eventually keyboards could emulate any sound except for singers. and Now their is Vocoder for all the crappy singers out there. The Advent of the Drum machine was the start of DJ's playing the clubs and taking all that work from Rock and Roll. -

Real bands play real instruments and don't use machines

I'm sure people said the same thing when Leo Fender made the electric guitar.  I like electronic drums as a musical and creative tool.  U2 in particular used it as an enhancement to great effect on a few occasions.  I've also found programs like "addictive drums" to be awesome in the hands of skilled drummers and percussionists.  Also, you cannot forget all the great artists and songs that probably would not have existed without this technology.

I look at physical drumming as an option to achieve musical percussion.  Were I a "drummer" or percussionist I would like the additional sound options afforded as well as the creative freedom from physical limitations this technology opened up.  YMMV

That said, there's nothing better for me than playing with a skilled drummer.  Steve Gadd is top 3 for me for sure.  My relatives up in Rochester have been jamming with him since the 60's. Basically grew up with him.

Oh sh**... I'm so off topic.  Sorry.