Author Topic: Updates on Album and Tour finally  (Read 13639 times)

Offline Neil Young, man!

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: Updates on Album and Tour finally
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2016, 08:35:46 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Does U2 have to be the biggest band in the world for us to like them? Or just popular enough to want to keep going? I fear the band feels that "if we are not the biggest and relevant to all we are therefore bad and may as well give up". They could go less for the middle of the road and be popular and cool instead of everyone's band and uncool. If that means "only" selling almost all tickets to shows, well they can afford it.

It is time for a cool, but non-relevant album. And a less rehearsed show. Did I mention the club gig at the Roxy in LA? More like that.

The things that made u2 so likeable and arguably great in the early days - the ambition, the wide eyed desire to reach out to everybody and be huge are in my view now the things that hold them back/spoil them...

But what would it take to even obtain that respect/hipster street cred/whatever you call it again? Recording ambient/art school music all the time? Never doing interviews we can overanalyze each time?

I don't know the full answer to this, but for one, not overworking songs and sound with multiple mainstream producers.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2016, 09:27:30 AM »
Does U2 have to be the biggest band in the world for us to like them? Or just popular enough to want to keep going? I fear the band feels that "if we are not the biggest and relevant to all we are therefore bad and may as well give up". They could go less for the middle of the road and be popular and cool instead of everyone's band and uncool. If that means "only" selling almost all tickets to shows, well they can afford it.

It is time for a cool, but non-relevant album. And a less rehearsed show. Did I mention the club gig at the Roxy in LA? More like that.

The things that made u2 so likeable and arguably great in the early days - the ambition, the wide eyed desire to reach out to everybody and be huge are in my view now the things that hold them back/spoil them...

But what would it take to even obtain that respect/hipster street cred/whatever you call it again? Recording ambient/art school music all the time? Never doing interviews we can overanalyze each time?

It is a good question and for me one that opens up a good and interesting debate....

For my money the biggest thing would be to stop making MOR pop rock...i just don't think it is u2's strong suit and by veering away from it they would in my view become more interesting to listen to again and therefore a better band.

I am sure there is of course a lot more strands to it but for me that is the heart of it.

U2 always sounded different to the pack, always had an atmosphere and a feel to their songs that was unique....they have largely lost that or should i say neutered it in search of hits and 'relevance' with the dullest most vapid music of their career.

When they move away from the pop rock and the middle of the road they can still deliver and still shine...

Offline mrsamrocks2

• Numb
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2016, 09:45:13 AM »

It is a good question and for me one that opens up a good and interesting debate....

For my money the biggest thing would be to stop making MOR pop rock...i just don't think it is u2's strong suit and by veering away from it they would in my view become more interesting to listen to again and therefore a better band.

I am sure there is of course a lot more strands to it but for me that is the heart of it.

U2 always sounded different to the pack, always had an atmosphere and a feel to their songs that was unique....they have largely lost that or should i say neutered it in search of hits and 'relevance' with the dullest most vapid music of their career.

When they move away from the pop rock and the middle of the road they can still deliver and still shine...
If they stopped (Bono in particular) talking about religion, it would help. Imaginary friends aren't very popular these days...

Offline pdk

• Refugee
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2016, 10:53:24 AM »

I don't think they've changed so very much.  We have.

They've become more competent in their initial ambitions.  I think it was their incompetence early on that made them unique and interesting in the past. Then later with Zoo and POP they put themselves outside of their comfort zones music and performance-wise... Hmmmm as I type this it does seem that they have stagnated in some ways.

I read an UF era interview and was startled at how consistent their planned ambitions then lined up with today.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2016, 11:28:48 AM »
I can confirm this. I have a mate who owns a pub in Fitzroy and it was where Bono hung out last time he was in Melbourne.

Anyway; I was in there on Friday night having a swifty after work and he said to me that he had been emailing or instagraming Bono and Bono had said “Keep February free as we will be back down under to paint Good ol’ Melbourne Town a few shades of red” , he was extremely excited.
As anyone knows; once Bono makes a friend; he makes a friend for Life!

So it looks like the February tour will be Down Under.
With the release of new music anytime from November to January.
This makes sense on two fronts; in the past U2 have used Australia to be the springboard to their new work.

Rattle and Hum and Zooropa both debuted here as far as songs were concerned.

And it is the middle of Summer down here in February and U2 love the Australian Summers. 8)

When they tour; they always tour in our Summer.

I will keep you up to date as I get more inFo. ;)

Outstanding sophomore effort here sir, outstanding!  8)

I don't mean to be rude but I don't believe you. you're friend read Bonos email about a tour? You're friend has Bonos emails about the tour????

I believe he was being sarcastic... looking to see who took the bait... looks like we found out...  8)

Offline Gavin82

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2016, 11:44:26 AM »

2017 people..!!!

Waffles

« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2016, 12:13:33 PM »

2017 people..!!!

Thats not any confirmation. Thats a rumor source spreading a rumor from an unreliable source. Its literally the exact same information from the first post. 2016 has a chance. Would you have believed me if i sad U2 was playing dreamforce and a music festival in vegas 3 months ago?

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2016, 12:52:07 PM »
this is all really so stupid it's hard to believe.  a 'report' based on a U2 fan site in Spain, with very poor translation to boot...

then Bono's comments comparing it to War (why would he compare it to an album that is over 30 years old?  for what purpose?  at least use TJT or Behind or SOI for goodness sake if you are going to compare... assuming a word of it was really uttered which I doubt).

the idiocy of this all is mind boggling.  the only question is what is more ridiculous - NME or the people (lots here apparently) who believe a word of it???

Offline striker

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Dream Out Loud
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2016, 01:27:56 PM »
this is all really so stupid it's hard to believe.  a 'report' based on a U2 fan site in Spain, with very poor translation to boot...

then Bono's comments comparing it to War (why would he compare it to an album that is over 30 years old?  for what purpose?  at least use TJT or Behind or SOI for goodness sake if you are going to compare... assuming a word of it was really uttered which I doubt).

the idiocy of this all is mind boggling.  the only question is what is more ridiculous - NME or the people (lots here apparently) who believe a word of it???
Don't forget the idiocy of making a band the utmost priority in their lives as well.

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2016, 02:19:38 PM »
Agreed, Sly. This is hardly news-worthy.

Offline ecadad

• Staring at the Sun
  • 🐍
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2016, 04:57:53 PM »
I still put 0% faith in this rumor. Bono & Adam said something to get some reporters to go away and we're flipping out about what it means. NME wants people to click on that article. They're just saying exactly what the original Spanish U2 report said. As far as unconcerned, this little random statement means nothing.

Offline Bono in Melbourne

• Wanderer
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2016, 06:23:38 PM »
Hmm, I used to be a regular at this Fitzroy watering hole, but moved south of the river. Might have to go north again.

North and south of the river. Might be a song in that.

I want to reach out over the Yarra
And have a beer across the water

Walk with you along a Fitzroy road
Not looking over my shoulder

I want to see, and I want to hear
To understand your gossip
But we're north & south of the river

I've been scratching it wrong all of my life
This kitty litter town has turned me over
An alley cat running from an outstanding bar tab
But the beer from the tap just got colder and colder
There was a furball that had its way
Fur was not lost, fur will have it's day
North & south of the river
North & south of the river

I love this Edges Cat. That is fantastic. You have a funky mind and a good turn of verse. Lots of fun.

• Wanderer
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2016, 06:26:40 PM »

2017 people..!!!

Thats not any confirmation. Thats a rumor source spreading a rumor from an unreliable source. Its literally the exact same information from the first post. 2016 has a chance. Would you have believed me if i sad U2 was playing dreamforce and a music festival in vegas 3 months ago?

Look how the rumours about Star Wars 7 came to life. some of them were true and some of them not.

But most of them had some background in the script. 18 months before the final product; you could find out on the internet the general themes. - Han Solo dying, Luke not in the movie till the last scene.

People didn't believe any of it. but it happened.

• Wanderer
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2016, 06:33:00 PM »

Bono is extremely loyal and mucks around with the same people in the same cities when he visits there.

If you listen to Bono's rap during Beautiful Day when U2 was last in Melbourne at Ettihad Stadium; he mentions my mate and watching the sun rise over St Kilda bay with him which they did together the night before the concert.

He doesn't mention anyone by name, you're probably talking about the vertigo tour anyway (not 360) and sure, he mentions St Kilda and sunrises...

My mate is genuine and he has kept in contact with Bono ever since.

As he owns a pub; which is an old fashioned pub; Bono felt right at home there and just was able to hang out like one of the local patrons which is what he wants.

So, your mate is Paul or Vince?

Anyway; take it from me that U2 have debuted material in Australia before so it is characteristic of their previous style which happened on Zooropa and Rattle and Hum.

Remember the concert that Adam was too drunk to perform and the back up bassist had to take over.

That was debuting Zooropa in Australia.

Well, it was the second last show of zoo TV here. Zooropa was released months earlier and tracks had been played in Europe already

So I reckon my mail is sweet.

I reckon you're being a tad creative.

But I hope you're right.

That is right mate. St Kilda and sunrises. Bono was very familiar with Melbourne as he spent most of the time here awake and in party mode.

Bono also took my mate up to Bali about 10 years ago and they partied with David Bowie. Some serous drinking went on there.

The point being that Zooropa was played out in Australia before they ever did it in the States. so was Rattle and Hum.

U2 are not afraid to start new stuff or gimmicks in Australia.

it sort of adds to their mystic.

Australia is kind of far away and exotic but it is also very very westernised and similar to the States.

A lot of your big companies like GE; sample new products in Australia before they put them on the US market to see how they go; as the markets are very similar.

Remember also U2 was huge in Australia before they had even made it in the States.

U2 are just another artist that Australia discovered before the rest of the world and helped to propel on the world stage.

Modonna was huge in Australia before she ever made it Stateside or in Europe.

Australia virtually discovered Abba.

Even Bruce Springsteen had his first world wide hits in Australia before the rest of the world caught on.

so it has been happening for 50 years that Australia is used as a test market for big performers or new products.

It is; what it is!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 06:39:30 PM by Bono in Melbourne »

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2016, 06:44:27 PM »
I live in Melbourne.