Author Topic: Updates on Album and Tour finally  (Read 13637 times)

Offline Bono in Melbourne

• Wanderer
Re: Updates on Album and Tour finally
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2016, 10:35:45 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
That's your perception and you are entitled to it but tbh, that is just an opinion..

the argument is actually mute.

for every fantastic thing about Sydney; you can find a fantastic thing about Melbourne...

Sydney might have the Harbour but Melbourne wins "World's Most liveable City" and "World's Sporting Capital" every year..

All the Superbands tour both cities. Sydney and Melbourne being so close in location actually make them a very commercially viable for tours. If one of them didn't exist; then we wouldn't see half the bands we do on our shores.

So Melbourne and Sydney co-exist like two fighting siblings that really need each other.

we are blessed to have a wonderful country with a number of brilliant cities in it.
I love Melbourne.  Only been there once but it was magic.

I was just pulling the pi*s as you like to tell us yanks  ;D

No worries mate. Love your work. Always good to have people involved. I think it is "taking the pi$s.." but close enough.

It's funny you say that.  As I was writing that post I wondered about the exact wording.  Oz really is an amazing country.  Fans here always talk about seeing the band in South America or Italy because the fans are so great.  But for my monet,  I'd love to do Australia.  In a heartbeat.

If the boys announce a February tour; come out and you can stay at my place if you like in Carlton. Walking distance to the city etc. We can go to my mates pub in Fitzroy and see if the great man shows up. I am sure he will.

We can fly up to Sydney for the shows there. Make a good time of it.

Very generous offer, thank you sir!  And I will extend a reciprocal if you are ever in the Seattle / Pacific Northwest area...

I wish I had the space, ability and patience to recount here the amazing times I have had in Oz (and NZ too, sorry Brisco).  But I have not been since 2000.  Far too long.

No worries mate, I am glad you have enjoyed our culture or lack of. And Kiwis aren't that bad. Just lots of them around. When it suits them they treat it like New Zealand and Australia are the one country and then when it doesn't suit them to be one of us; they do the huka.

• Wanderer
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2016, 10:43:08 PM »
I don't see much to get excited about. The album appears to be nowhere near done and the tour won't start until at least 2017. We still have a long way to go.

Some of you have mentioned you find Bono trying to cram too many words into his lyrics.

I think this is the problem at the moment.

His songs aren't flowing and the sound kind of squeezed.

or like he has about 3 different ideas that he has come up with and he is trying to cram them all into one song..

But there are too many obvious seams...

Offline Doc_Holiday

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2016, 11:08:56 PM »
Wow I didn't know U2 was going to put up another album...

Waiting here

• Wanderer
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2016, 11:22:00 PM »
Yes, depending on who you believe they are either in the final mixes or still writing the first version of the lyrics. ;D

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2016, 02:58:26 AM »
Alrighty, I'm at the pub, having a quiet one after working hard for the money.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2016, 04:12:45 AM »
Alrighty, I'm at the pub, having a quiet one after working hard for the money.
At the pub...YAY!

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2016, 06:06:01 AM »
This is the headline from the Irish Times tweet about the story: "U2 announce world tour, hint new album nearly ready." So I get that maybe the paper is a tabloid, but "announce"? I'm guessing the actual tour announcement might be a bit more than Bono and Adam chatting with some fans.

Unless they want to announce it to atU2 and give us first dibs on the tix. To heck with their own website.

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2016, 06:13:34 AM »
This is the headline from the Irish Times tweet about the story: "U2 announce world tour, hint new album nearly ready." So I get that maybe the paper is a tabloid, but "announce"? I'm guessing the actual tour announcement might be a bit more than Bono and Adam chatting with some fans.

Unless they want to announce it to atU2 and give us first dibs on the tix. To heck with their own website.

Hmmm..... it's rumbling and moving. I'm confident we're gonna hear
more soon. Yes, would be cool in atU2 had first dibs.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #83 on: August 04, 2016, 06:26:12 AM »
Well done to this Spanish fan site.

They have got lots of coverage out of this and got big tabloids, Billboard, NME et al carrying the story and their name/links.

Fair do's to them - good work.

Offline OnlyU2

• Holy Joe
  • Who's to say what it is will break you
« Reply #84 on: August 04, 2016, 07:27:00 AM »

The tour will begin in March, so I predict a September album release

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2016, 07:40:20 AM »
Interesting stuff.  Considering they were talking about the next album when SOI was released, I'd say a two-year gap (so far) is pretty good, if they get the album out before the end of year--nothing like the immediate turnaround some fans seemed to expect, but close enough to be considered of the same general era.  My level of expectation has been dulled over the years, but I'll still be interested to see what they do.

Offline Neil Young, man!

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2016, 09:31:24 AM »
The Irish Times article is the first time I see this: "Songs of Experience will deal with the sudden rush of fame they had in the 1980s beginning with their Live Aid concert experience and becoming the biggest rock band in the world on the release of 1987s The Joshua Tree." I somehow linked SoE to the 90s but this refers to the second half of the 80s. So maybe we will get multiple Songs of...not only Songs of Ascent.

Songs of Reinvention.
Songs of Irony.
Songs of Back to basics.
Songs of Relevance ambitions.

Or not.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #87 on: August 04, 2016, 09:36:33 AM »
The Irish Times article is the first time I see this: "Songs of Experience will deal with the sudden rush of fame they had in the 1980s beginning with their Live Aid concert experience and becoming the biggest rock band in the world on the release of 1987s The Joshua Tree." I somehow linked SoE to the 90s but this refers to the second half of the 80s. So maybe we will get multiple Songs of...not only Songs of Ascent.

Songs of Reinvention.
Songs of Irony.
Songs of Back to basics.
Songs of Relevance ambitions.

Or not.

I don't know that I would expect the trend to continue.  Honestly, having a band simply write about itself--at least in a long-term basis--seems like a bad idea.  Their best songs are universal, not autobiographical.

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2016, 09:45:02 AM »
How about just

Songs Of Quality
Songs Of Substance

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band