Author Topic: Will Metallica rain on U2's parade?  (Read 3096 times)

Offline Philaboy1971

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: Will Metallica rain on U2's parade?
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2016, 06:11:59 PM »
Yeah, they're not to bad. I'm interested in hearing the whole album.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Philaboy1971

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2016, 08:22:22 PM »
Repetitive drumming with the first single, but that's what they were in the early days. It is however, still listenable. The next two songs get better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2016, 04:45:10 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I love all three singles they've released so far, especially Moth Into Flame. This is going to be one of the best records of the year.

Compared to what? Records by other old well known bands who are long past their best or to the masses of fantastic new music that has been released in 2016 so far by much less well known/ less over hyped artists and or new artists?

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2016, 07:56:39 AM »
I love all three singles they've released so far, especially Moth Into Flame. This is going to be one of the best records of the year.

Compared to what? Records by other old well known bands who are long past their best or to the masses of fantastic new music that has been released in 2016 so far by much less well known/ less over hyped artists and or new artists?

Depends on your preference, I suppose. There have been some great releases this year from Weezer, The Boxer Rebellion, The Joy Formidable, Bastille, Brian Fallon, Nada Surf, Radiohead and The Moth & the Flame. After listening to the three singles I'm confident that Metallica's newest will rank highly among those picks for me.

iehomecoming

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2016, 08:42:26 AM »

Compared to the other albums one may buy depending on one's personal tastes.

Old bands releasing great albums later in their career is not that unusual, although U2 hasn't been able to do it.

Having said that, based on what has been released to date it doesn't sound like Metallica has either. Trying a bit too hard to be thrash. Thrash set them apart in the early days, but it's their ear for melody that set them above the competition and I'm not seeing that with these 3 songs.

Offline The Hair of Martin Gore

• Refugee
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2016, 09:00:21 AM »
melodic gifts are usually the first to go.  so many artists lose the ability to write good melodies. I guess there are only so many.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2016, 09:32:38 AM »

Depends on your preference, I suppose. There have been some great releases this year from Weezer, The Boxer Rebellion, The Joy Formidable, Bastille, Brian Fallon, Nada Surf, Radiohead and The Moth & the Flame. After listening to the three singles I'm confident that Metallica's newest will rank highly among those picks for me.

As always it is of course entirely subjective and whilst I wouldn't necessarily agree with all your picks you are at least not just using the same tired old bands as your yardstick.

I am not really a fan of metallica but will give the album a spin out of curiosity though.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2016, 11:09:43 AM »

As always it is of course entirely subjective and whilst I wouldn't necessarily agree with all your picks you are at least not just using the same tired old bands as your yardstick.

I am not really a fan of metallica but will give the album a spin out of curiosity though.

I like a lot of different artists and genres but that's just my personal taste. I don't take offense if someone likes something different. :)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2016, 12:19:02 PM »

I like a lot of different artists and genres but that's just my personal taste. I don't take offense if someone likes something different. :)

A good way to look at things...i was just curious because often you come across a sort of 'there is 'our bamd' and maybe one or two other artists worth listening to mentallity' that prevails among fan sites....when the reality is there is a mass of great stuff out there.....

.....Especially from artists who are largely unknown...people don't get to hear this stuff but the 'names' release oftenmediocre music and people flock to listen to it because it is familiar and in the meantime these newer artists are struggling...the media bandwagon and publicity the 'big names' can afford to utilise and that they benefit from almost brainwashes people into thinking they are the be all and end all!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 12:27:30 PM by an tha »

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2016, 12:47:41 PM »

A good way to look at things...i was just curious because often you come across a sort of 'there is 'our bamd' and maybe one or two other artists worth listening to mentallity' that prevails among fan sites....when the reality is there is a mass of great stuff out there.....

.....Especially from artists who are largely unknown...people don't get to hear this stuff but the 'names' release oftenmediocre music and people flock to listen to it because it is familiar and in the meantime these newer artists are struggling...the media bandwagon and publicity the 'big names' can afford to utilise and that they benefit from almost brainwashes people into thinking they are the be all and end all!

I'm not sure where you would get that impression. We're here to talk about U2, after all, so it's only natural that they will dominate the conversation. It's no secret that U2 is my favorite band and I look forward to their music more than any other, but that doesn't mean they're the only band I listen to. This year has yielded some great albums from both big and unknown artists, as well as some surprises like Relient K and They Might Be Giants, which creeped up on me in the best possible way.

There was a time when I was mainly into unknown or indie artists (and I still am to some extent) but life's too short to stick with one genre or one particular scene. Just like people stick to the well-known bands there are also those that believe the only good bands are those that no one has heard of. There's more than enough room for both in my library. I'm not expecting a masterpiece from Metallica but I do think it will be a release I'll be happy with, even if it doesn't break new ground.

As long as something's pleasing to my ears I'll listen to it.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 01:53:35 PM by Thunder Peel »

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2016, 06:57:50 PM »
Color me skeptical. I love Metallica's earlier stuff, but everything they've put out in the last 14 years has underwhelmed me. I'll wait for the new album to come out and listen to it from start to finish. Not gonna get excited until then since I've been let down in the past.

I'd love it if they release a great new CD, though.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2016, 04:26:42 PM »
Color me skeptical. I love Metallica's earlier stuff, but everything they've put out in the last 14 years has underwhelmed me. I'll wait for the new album to come out and listen to it from start to finish. Not gonna get excited until then since I've been let down in the past.

Metallica are kind of in U2's shoes, in that they have an impressive back catalogue and big early success to live up to. We'll never get another Ride the Lightening or Master of Puppets but I'm okay with that.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2016, 05:11:35 PM »

Metallica are kind of in U2's shoes, in that they have an impressive back catalogue and big early success to live up to. We'll never get another Ride the Lightening or Master of Puppets but I'm okay with that.

True, but the difference for me is that I can listen to any of U2's albums from the last 16 years and at least enjoy it. Some songs aren't so good, some are great, and many are somewhere in between.

Unfortunately, I can't do that with Metallica, despite trying hard with St. Anger and Death Magnetic. There's a few songs that are good, but the vast majority are just not good songs.

I definitely don't expect them to ever release another Black album just as I don't expect U2 to release another Achtung...but it'd be nice to at least like most of the stuff they're putting out there.

I really do hope that I'm pleasantly surprised by the new album.

I do wonder what is causing them to take so long to release new albums. They were very prolific in the 80s (just like another band we all know and love) and released a few CDs in the 90s (with a 5 year gap between the Black album and Load/Reload). Since then, though, every album has taken at least 5 years with this last album taking 8 years. Is it a lack of interest in the band? A lack of creativity? Or over production/seeking perfection? I just wonder how many songs they've recorded/tweaked that have never been released.

As is the case with U2, I'd love to see these guys just release new music as they've recorded it. Don't spend months/years tweaking it to perfection. Just put it out there, no matter how raw it is.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2016, 08:55:14 AM »

True, but the difference for me is that I can listen to any of U2's albums from the last 16 years and at least enjoy it. Some songs aren't so good, some are great, and many are somewhere in between.

Unfortunately, I can't do that with Metallica, despite trying hard with St. Anger and Death Magnetic. There's a few songs that are good, but the vast majority are just not good songs.

I definitely don't expect them to ever release another Black album just as I don't expect U2 to release another Achtung...but it'd be nice to at least like most of the stuff they're putting out there.

I really do hope that I'm pleasantly surprised by the new album.

I do wonder what is causing them to take so long to release new albums. They were very prolific in the 80s (just like another band we all know and love) and released a few CDs in the 90s (with a 5 year gap between the Black album and Load/Reload). Since then, though, every album has taken at least 5 years with this last album taking 8 years. Is it a lack of interest in the band? A lack of creativity? Or over production/seeking perfection? I just wonder how many songs they've recorded/tweaked that have never been released.

As is the case with U2, I'd love to see these guys just release new music as they've recorded it. Don't spend months/years tweaking it to perfection. Just put it out there, no matter how raw it is.

I can definitely relate with that. I've enjoyed U2's output over the years and I feel they've been pretty consistent, even though that's not a popular opinion on this forum. I loved Load and thought Reload was okay. Death Magnetic felt like a new burst of energy and I even like listening to St. Anger from time to time, though I have to be in a very specific mood to do so. It's easily their worst album but there are a few tracks on there that have some potential.

I also agree that it's taken them way to long to get this album out. It's like once artists hit their late 40's and 50's they just stop pouring as much time into their craft. I guess family and other business interests keep them distracted.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 08:57:05 AM by Thunder Peel »