Author Topic: Your Ultimate U2 Throughout The Years  (Read 2309 times)

Offline benpoke

• Refugee
Your Ultimate U2 Throughout The Years
« on: August 21, 2016, 06:01:51 AM »
If you could take each band member from a different era to create your ultimate version of U2, which would you pick?

Bono - Rattle and Hum era.  Love or hate the album, after touring pretty much constantly throughout the 80s, Bono's voice was in oak form for this album and the tour.  Listen to the three octaves he goes through on different verses of Hawkmoon.

The Edge - Achtung Baby era.  He was choc-full of ideas, a lot of them pretty out there and a lot of them seemingly improvised.  This was also one of the last albums where he seemed to play guitar parts all the way through the song, rather than chopping up bits and bobs.

Adam - Songs Of Innocence.  Seriously, I think Adam's playing gets better all the time.  His tone, feel and groove is all over SOI, with Pop a close second.

Larry - October/War.  He's never sounded so creative as he does on these two albums, especially October.  Listen to the how many separate drum/percussion tracks there are on The Refugee, the drum solo on Rejoice, the signature beats on Sunday Bloody Sunday and Gloria...

WookieeWarrior10

Re: Your Ultimate U2 Throughout The Years
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 10:24:44 AM »
Bono - Achtung Baby. I love how rich his voice sounds here, without ever going too overboard like he was known for on past albums. I love it when Bono sings in a lower-register, which is highlighted by brilliant efforts including The Fly, Zoo Station, and Love Is Blindness. During this era, Bono was able to sing powerfully when he needed to as well (Acrobat, One...) Bono was arguably the best lyricist that he's ever been at this time, maybe second to Pop.

Edge - Achtung Baby. Had to go with Achtung again here-- I just love his willingness to experiment with The Fly, Until the End Of the World, Acrobat, Even Better Than the Real a Thing, and Mysterious Ways. None of those songs I just mentioned had ever been attempted by U2 prior to Achtung Baby. Edge focused on utilizing effects he was less familiar with, and created beefier, edgier (pun intended) sounding riffs.

Adam - Pop. How could you go against Pop? Do You Feel Loved may be the greatest groove the band has ever hit (not my observation, I believe an tha recently stated this). I love the keyboard-bass-thing in Mofo, it's not commonplace in a U2 song that we hear this instrument and here it works beautifully as the building blocks for this song. Other amazing efforts include IYWTVD, Please, and Gone.

Larry - October. Truthfully, I can't remember any standout track from this album (drumming-wise) since it's been years since I last gave this record a spin. What i do remember though, is how versatile and dynamic he was. I lrefer Larry's more intense and impactful drum lines (Acrobat being a prime example.)

U2_One

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 11:05:57 AM »
Bono - R & H (AB is really close)

The Edge - Achtung Baby

Adam - War/TUF (SOI and Pop are close)

Larry - October

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 01:14:20 PM »
Adam: right now, or at any point in the last dozen years. He's consistently killin' it now, and it's a great thing to behold.

Bono: '90-'95, where he finally learned to sing quietly.

Edge: '97-'00, where his sonic sculpting reached dizzying heights.

Larry: either '84-'88, '97-'00 or '09-present day, all for different reasons. Can't decide.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 01:20:25 PM »
The 90's - all of them.

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 03:44:00 PM »
Achtung Baby for me

Offline PieBlaCon

• Refugee
  • I believe in the Kingdom Come
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 09:17:45 PM »
Bono was at his peak vocally in the UF era. He pulled off some magic on JT as well.

The Edge's best work is on AB and Zooropa, I think.

My favorite Adam basslines are on The Joshua Tree

Larry's best work is pretty spread out. My favorite is the drumming on "Stay", but War is probably the most consistently impressive.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 09:26:14 PM »
Zoo TV - all of the above. Vocals, guitar rhythm etecetcetcetcetecet

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 05:37:08 AM »
Larry - October
Bono - JT
Edge - AB
Adam - now

Offline The Hair of Martin Gore

• Refugee
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 11:08:51 AM »
Bono - Zoo TV.  Broadest range, most control, best lyrics.
Edge - Pop.  He used an incredible amount of sounds on that album.
Adam - now, but let him make the songs groove
Larry - Pop.  Jazzy and funky (for U2 anyway). 

Offline Nagrom76

• Refugee
  • Bacon
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 12:34:08 PM »
Bono - Achtung Baby/Zoo TV

Edge - Achtung Baby/Zoo TV

Adam - Achtung Baby/Zoo TV (accept the show he missed)

Larry - Achtung Baby/Zoo TV

If you saw ZOO TV, which I did first indoor in front of 12,000 people (I thought my ears were going to burst) and then outdoor in front of 60,000 people, you'll understand my point. As good as any band has ever been...in studio to make AB and then to follow with that live show...? Stupid good. Will never be matched.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 12:36:09 PM by Nagrom76 »

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 03:12:25 PM »
Bono - AB.     For the lyrics as much as the delivery
Edge - AB.     The Fly solo alone makes this a no brainer
Adam - POP.   As impressive as any band member has been on any U2 record.
Larry - War.   His military style drumming makes this album (and fits the title).

Waffles

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 06:52:57 PM »
I would take all of the band as they are now except for Bono. Bono should be from rattle and hum.

Offline Cam501

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2016, 09:34:29 AM »
Bono -ZooTV Outside Broadcast for the look and singing style, but with the richness of a good Rattle and Hum era/Lovetown show night. Sing it like Zoo but with slightly less rasp than during Outside Broadcast.

Edge - Zoo TV Outside Broadcast.

Adam - Popmart.  His playing tightened up.

Larry - Zoo TV Outside Broadcast

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2016, 02:53:47 PM »
Bono zooropa. Perfected falsetto and demonstrated range and subtle singing style.
Edge - pop and AB. Pushing his boundaries on pop just exciting times. And the guitar solo of his career with uteotw.
Adam - pop. Bass heavy grooves on EVERY track.
Larry - first 3 albums but war in particular.

Musically they all shone brightly on pop. It's not my favourite album, but showcased every member of the band bringing something special to the table.