Author Topic: Your Ultimate U2 Throughout The Years  (Read 2300 times)

Offline A_Fly_On_The_Wall

• Deep In the Heart
  • Doing My Best Work In Your Disbelief Of Existence
Re: Your Ultimate U2 Throughout The Years
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2016, 02:21:29 PM »
Bono - TUF/TJT
I think Bono's voice was at its best on record during these albums. His vocals on Wire, Bad, WOWY and RTSS are just some examples of his range. He has had his moments since then but nothing can quite compare to his voice in the mid 80's for me.

The Edge - Achtung Baby/HTDAAB
Edge was definitely at his best on AB and Bomb. His riffs were killer on both albums and he had some of his most memorable live moments on both accompanying tours too. The live solos of Love Is Blindness & Love and Peace Or Else give me chills on each listen!

Adam - NLOTH/SOI
Adam's bass playing has got much tighter and refined over the last two albums. He completely owned NLOTH with his skills and his live performances on the I&E Tour were greatly improved over more recent tours.

Larry - October/War
Some of my favourite Larry drum beats were on these two albums. Think back to the power and aggression of Like A Song, With A Shout, I Threw A Brick etc. All of those songs had amazing beats which I don't think he's been able to replicate quite with the same passion since.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2016, 02:43:44 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
that 96 version of mofo on that youtube video is as I have said before as far as I am concerned the greatest recorded piece of u2 music I have ever heard.
Just listened to it again after a long time. Flabbergasting stuff, they were truly down the rabbit hole. The long-forgotten side of U2 that the world will never know.

glorious...and that version of 'i'm not your baby'.... just wow, f****** wow...

i miss that band so much - it just frustrates me so much they went from that to wild honey et al in the space of a few short years...from outer space to the middle of the road in 4 years.

Do you wanna be even more depressed? There's more balls shown by the band on the few U2 songs that appear on the TMDH soundtrack than on the whole of the next 2 albums.
U2 are best at being U2 when they're not making a U2 album!

I think.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2016, 03:47:01 PM »
It is very ironic that the band at their peak were probably least appreciated by Joe Public than at pretty much any other time of their career aside from the very early days and latterly today.

Just shows how bad and unsophisticated Joe Public's taste generally is.....he/she will whoop and holler and jump around for vapid sh**e like Elevation or Vertigo but intricate, subtle beauty like Please or Lemon is just too complex for him/her.

It isn't a surprise that u2 have dumbed down their music to try and be popular based on that fact.

Let's be fair - U2 were huge and selling out stadia everywhere (except a few cities in the US) on the Popmart Tour.  The band were mega-popular and playing sophisticated songs like Please to 10,000s of people every night.  I.e. the public with its taste for vapid s***e didn't abandon U2 with Pop, and so I don't think there is an inverse relationship between U2 making culturally sophisticated music and their popularity.  Furthermore, I don't think you need a degree in music to appreciate a catchy song like Lemon - that song hits you first time you hear it. 

You don't think there is a tiny little bit of a snobbishness in your view that the public doesn't like inventive music? 

As for favourite eras:

Adam and Larry would be Pop, Edge TUF and AB, Bono TUF.

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2016, 03:48:04 PM »
that 96 version of mofo on that youtube video is as I have said before as far as I am concerned the greatest recorded piece of u2 music I have ever heard.
Just listened to it again after a long time. Flabbergasting stuff, they were truly down the rabbit hole. The long-forgotten side of U2 that the world will never know.

glorious...and that version of 'i'm not your baby'.... just wow, f****** wow...

i miss that band so much - it just frustrates me so much they went from that to wild honey et al in the space of a few short years...from outer space to the middle of the road in 4 years.

Do you wanna be even more depressed? There's more balls shown by the band on the few U2 songs that appear on the TMDH soundtrack than on the whole of the next 2 albums.
U2 are best at being U2 when they're not making a U2 album!

I think.
You may be on to something. Original Soundtracks 1, for example, is already amazing as it is. Just imagine if they treated it as something more than a "warm-up" to Pop...

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2016, 03:46:13 AM »
If you could take each band member from a different era to create your ultimate version of U2, which would you pick?

Bono - Rattle and Hum era.  Love or hate the album, after touring pretty much constantly throughout the 80s, Bono's voice was in oak form for this album and the tour.  Listen to the three octaves he goes through on different verses of Hawkmoon.

The Edge - Achtung Baby era.  He was choc-full of ideas, a lot of them pretty out there and a lot of them seemingly improvised.  This was also one of the last albums where he seemed to play guitar parts all the way through the song, rather than chopping up bits and bobs.

Adam - Songs Of Innocence.  Seriously, I think Adam's playing gets better all the time.  His tone, feel and groove is all over SOI, with Pop a close second.

Larry - October/War.  He's never sounded so creative as he does on these two albums, especially October.  Listen to the how many separate drum/percussion tracks there are on The Refugee, the drum solo on Rejoice, the signature beats on Sunday Bloody Sunday and Gloria...

Great choices. I completely agree, with the sole exception that Adam's 2nd best to me is NLOTH, not Pop.

Offline DEX

• Refugee
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2016, 07:10:25 AM »
Edge - ZOO TV & HTDAAB

Bono - AB
Larry - AB
Adam - ATYCLB

Offline MEMORY_MAN

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I must follow the path to the endless road...
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2016, 11:48:20 PM »
Bono - 1984-1994
Edge - 1980-1999
Adam - Now
Larry 1981-1994

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2016, 03:35:49 PM »
I don't think Larry gets enough love for his drumming in Boy. Maybe it's not quite as good as it is in October, technically, but you have to appreciate Larry on songs like An Cat Dubh. That's a sound I wish they'd pursue.

Offline John Galt

• Numb
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2016, 03:06:59 AM »
Zoo TV/Zooropa.  They were all cool and lovable back then.

Offline Neil Young, man!

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2016, 03:44:05 AM »
My favourite periods are 1) Unforgettable Fire and 2) Zoo TV through Pop, ending with Pop and excluding Popmart.

Also, these were periods when it was cool to like U2, in my view because IT FELT LIKE they were doing their own thing and pushing their boundaries, and IT FELT LIKE they were less desperate for attention.

For me No Line could have been a major return to form if they had kept earlier versions of songs and kept Boots and Crazy off the album.

Parts of SoI are promising enough for me to hope that SoE (and SoA) become that 3rd favourite period. It won't be if they try to be relevant, has that ever worked for them?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 03:47:20 AM by Neil Young, man! »

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2016, 04:20:57 AM »
I don't think Larry gets enough love for his drumming in Boy. Maybe it's not quite as good as it is in October, technically, but you have to appreciate Larry on songs like An Cat Dubh. That's a sound I wish they'd pursue.
Agree with this SO much. BOY is my favorite workout cd...the drums keep me moving like nothing else. I knew these guys were going to be great after hearing Electric Co the 1st time, but all of the BOY songs were great.

Offline craola

• Wanderer
  • https://soundcloud.com/ambulai/
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2016, 02:07:02 AM »
BH :: A Sort of Homecoming
EE :: Where The Streets Have No Name
AC :: Miami
LM :: Refugee

see faces plowed like fields that once gave no resistance
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 02:09:03 AM by craola »

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2016, 06:13:06 PM »
If we're talking specific songs...

Bono: The Fly
Edge: Zooropa
Adam: Do You Feel Loved
Larry: An Cat Dubh

Would make for a great modern-day U2 song.