Poll

Which sound do you prefer of the two we've heard so far from Songs of Experience?

Pop sound like "The Best Thing" You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
12 (6.6%)
Rock sound like Adam's studio clip You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (bridge of The Blackout)
106 (58.2%)
Mix of both kinds of songs (rock and pop)
64 (35.2%)

Total Members Voted: 172

Author Topic: New U2 album (SOE): Which sound would you prefer it to have?  (Read 8977 times)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
Re: New U2 album (SOE): Which sound would you prefer it to have?
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2017, 08:29:12 PM »
i still think its super optimistic to think itll be out any day in December.

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2017, 08:35:26 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

When asked by Zane in the recent Beats interview, Bono said his trademarked "Ask the Edge."  So Zane did.

The Edge said this year.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2017, 08:36:16 PM »

When asked by Zane in the recent Beats interview, Bono said his trademarked "Ask the Edge."  So Zane did.

The Edge said this year.

ok

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2017, 08:41:36 PM »
I wasn't a big fan of "Best Thing", but did enjoy "Little Things".  U2 can succeed at a slower, ballad-type song, but usually something outside of the straightforward pop vein.

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2017, 09:47:36 PM »
In the recent Beats interview with Zane, Bono mentioned that there will be a pop song on the album called "The Showman."

We also have heard that the first single will be "The Best Thing" which sounds like it'll be another pop song.

So, according to this poll, the album may disappoint a bunch of fans.

"The Little Things" is not rocking, but not exactly pop either. 

I guess we'll see on December 1st how it ends up.

Thoughts?
Alright, time to yet again dish out one of my famous over-dramatic and elaborate posts on the future of the band!

SOE is, in all likelihood, going to be a terrible record. I fully expect an ATYCLB/SOI hybrid. Most of the songs will be from the typical hit-obsessive U2, with maybe a couple of exceptions (but I can easily see the entire thing being a cheap radio offering). Ultimately, it will decide the future of the band... one of three things will happen:

1) U2 give up their journey for another chart topper and focus on making great music.

2) U2 further embarrass themselves by continuing to release plodding garbage in the future, partly damaging their legacy in the process. In the end, the band will simply fizzle away into the past.

3) The band becomes so discouraged that U2 disbands, at least temporarily, after a SOE flop.

I fully believe that U2 is still capable of turning heads and surprising everybody, but I foresee a disappointing album and overall gloomy outlook for the future of this band.

Again, I'm only dishing out my ridiculously over-dramatic thoughts in the most familiar way I can. Make of it what you wish!  :)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2017, 10:19:03 PM »
yea thats all taken to massive extremes but i'm sure itll be more MOR pop rock that won't go over well. i doubt they'll "dream it all up again" or quit. i seem them fading away and not admitting defeat by announcing a retirement.

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2017, 07:56:47 AM »
I would prefer it to have a sound that is not too clean ("radio friendly") but has some personality. Think more like The Troubles or Sleep Like A Baby than Song for Someone. Both the forementioned tracks are produced pretty great in my opinion. If SOE can live up to the best songs from SOI and avoid the sh**e it will be a great album. I would also like it to be more political like their earlier work - political as in songs that reflect on our time like fx. TJT or War.

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #82 on: August 27, 2017, 06:34:05 AM »
I wonder how much this poll will change when the non-remix version of "The Best Thing" comes out in September.

My hunch is people will still prefer the more rocking song that Adam posted.

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #83 on: September 06, 2017, 05:16:15 PM »
I wonder how much this poll will change when the non-remix version of "The Best Thing" comes out in September.

My hunch is people will still prefer the more rocking song that Adam posted.

Turns out the hunch was correct!
Even though The Best Thing album version is more rocking than the dancey Kygo remix, The Blackout is more popular.

This poll called it early.  (Adam's "SOE being born" rocking clip turned out to be the bridge in The Blackout.)

Fans just prefer it when U2 (i.e. The Edge) rocks out versus making pop songs.