Author Topic: Your Favorite Place To Listen  (Read 627 times)

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
Your Favorite Place To Listen
« on: August 24, 2016, 10:57:06 AM »
I was reading some stuff about OS1 and Bono made this statement.

"It feels like it's been set on the bullet train in Tokyo. Every record has a location, a place where you enjoy listening to it, whether that be a bedroom or a club, well this record location is a fast train. It's slo-mo music though. But it has an odd sense of speed in the background."

So it got me thinking if there were a place I prefer to listen to U2 in general, is it album or even song specific, or places where certain U2 tunes or albums sound best for you.  What are your thoughts on this?  I'll have to think about it more as well as most of my music listening these days in in the car or bus to and from work.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
Re: Your Favorite Place To Listen
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 11:29:04 AM »
Hmmmm...
Well, when I work out to a dvd, it's in the living room in front of the tv. When I work out to a cd, it's either the living room, or outside with a discman. Sometimes, when I really want to listen to the guitar work, I use headphones. I listen to all of their music, every cd, every dvd...and, yeah, I do occasionally skip a tune, but not too often.
If I need inspiration, it's got to be October. Best for working out, though would be Boy or AB.
I pick TUF fire a lot, too. And, well, all of them!
In the car...and I usually do take a cd with me, it's almost always SOI or AB. Or JT.

Offline tom_b1807

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 01:39:19 PM »
Achtung Baby always sounds better at night, JT for long car journeys/ open places.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 02:02:58 PM »
Albums usually take me to a certain place and U2 is no different. For some reason these are the initial feelings I get from them:

BOY: It feels like an evening or late night record, taking place sometime in the fall or winter.
OCTOBER: An obvious fall or winter record that I can listen to anywhere.
WAR: This always takes me back to a cold and overcast day back in March of 2000. I was in France and took the day train out to Normandy to visit the various WWII battlesites and beaches. This album and its themes always take me back to that inspiring yet haunting moment of bomb craters, old German bunkers and rusted wreckage.
TUF: Another album that makes me think of the French countryside. I get images of big churches and cathedrals, castles and palaces. Sonically it's my favorite U2 album and probably my favorite period for the band overall.
TJT: It feels like both a summer and winter record. The American southwest and open country is the obvious imagery I think of.
RAH: My ultimate road trip album. I get many of the same feelings here as I do for TJT.
AB: This one has so much going for it and I never associate it with just one emotion or location. It goes well anywhere, though I will admit that heartache makes it really pack an extra punch.
ZOOROPA: Nightlife, bright lights, over-stimulated locations. Much like AB, this one takes me back to so many memories and creates a spacey head space. This would be my go-to album if I ever had the pleasure of traveling in space.
POP: It reminds me of vacations spent in Florida and California: palm trees, sunlight, heat, amusement parks, shopping centers.
ATYCLB: Very much a spring and summer record for me. Once the flowers being to bloom and the trees regain their leaves then this album gets extra plays.
HTDAAB: I have a lot of nostalgia attached to this album. It was the soundtrack to my college years and all of the ups and downs that come with it. I typically associate it with winter.
NLOTH: The beach, a boat out on the ocean. I love the feeling of this one.
SOI: I don't really have any particular place or season for this one. Much like AB, I find that it blends in well with anything.

So now you know: I'm weird! :D 

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 02:56:03 PM »
I don't think you're weird, I think you are lucky to have been so many wonderful places. And, to have enjoyed such fine music...

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 03:58:34 PM »
Funny you mention that, I listened to that interview thing a few days ago! For me, it depends on the record:

Boy: Early morning if you need to wake up quickly  ;)
October: Autumn, obviously. Not one I listen to much, I don't think I've heard the full record in years...
War: Not a fan, maybe in the evening? Especially Like A Song and Drowning Man.
TUF: Evening again. Lots of imagery, I prefer listening when driving through the Texas hill county.
TJT: I'd listen when on long road trips.
R&H: Driving to church? :P
AB: Very late at night, around 2/3 in the morning is the best time-- preferably with headphones on.
Zooropa:
OS1: Perfect U2 album to listen to late at night. Songs like United Colours and Always Forever Now are great for driving on the highway. It's an incredible experience listening to A Different Kind of Blue, Slug, and Your Blue Room at this time.
Pop: Again, late at night. Also works great for days spent by the pool (TPB being the prime example, such a fun song!)
ATYCLB: Never.
HTDAAB: Hell.
NLOTH: Great for night-time when vacationing in tropical places... But that only applies to Fez, COL, etc. Throw in Winter and Soon if you can. Maybe I should make a playlist for that.
SOI: Doesn't really matter to me.

Offline missey

• Child of Grace
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 04:44:23 PM »
Definitely on long car rides.  And late at night with earphones while I play computer games so I can block out the world.